Thread: Logging first Summer Mountain Leader QMDs

Widdler

Logging first Summer Mountain Leader QMDs

Hi all

I'm new to the forum. I've decided to begin working towards my summer ML and begin logging QMDs. Living in Sussex it takes a while to get to anywhere where I can do this so I need to get the most out of each trip bagging as much new experience and days to add to the logbook as possible. I plan to go to Snowdonia over the Easter bank holiday and wondered if anyone has any tips for routes for someone starting out on their ML journey.

I also wondered if it is feasible to take a dog with you on your QMDs. My Cocker is fine with 25 miles plus on lowland terrain like the Ashdown forest in Sussex and still had plenty of go left in her after doing Ingleborough in snow in November.

Thanks in advance.

Can't help with the Wales routes much I'm afraid but I can't see any problem taking the dog along, as long as you meet the QMD criteria it shouldn't matter that you have a companion along.

Wouldn't tell them though, the powers that be seem to take a dim view in bringing your dog along. (But this is also to cover themselves from idiots who do take their dog without proper care or thought given)

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by padstowe View Post
    Wouldn't tell them though, the powers that be seem to take a dim view in bringing your dog along. (But this is also to cover themselves from idiots who do take their dog without proper care or thought given)
    Good advice although I would have thought before your post that demonstrating that you are managing the welfare of a companion albeit a K9 one could be seen as a plus. I will omit my furry friend from my log just in case.

It's not really something I'd feel obliged to mention in a QMD entry , they're more bothered about what nav work you've done and in what conditions

When I did my ML training in September they weren't actually that interested my DLOG, it'll get scrutinised more come assessment time

If taking pooch along gets you into the hills then I can't see any issue

I shouldn't imagine anyone will be remotely bothered about you being accompanied by a dog. My ML assessors frequently take their dogs out on the training and assessment courses they run. The key thing is that you're getting out there doing the walks and getting the experience.

Well done on taking the step and starting out on the ML route - but make sure you enjoy it!

Have a great time in Snowdonia. Get some of the main hills and routes in - Snowdon, the Glyders etc. but it's also worth exploring some of the less tramped areas like the Moelwyns and Rhinogs, where navigation's a little more meaty and you'll get good experience there. I got introduced to the Caerneddau on my assessment expedition, and loved them - fab for backpacking! Log the weather and ground conditions, log the walks when you changed your plans or bailed out because of weather conditions or other reasons - these all add to your experience :-)

Sorry, guess I shoulda checked before, just thought that the BMC would take the same view point as MI (mountaineering Ireland). Lucky gits!
    Environmental considerations for walkers

• For environmental and safety reasons keep group numbers small. Ideally group size should be less than 10 people, and should not exceed 15.
    • Avoid taking dogs on the hills at any time

Mini Goon
    Take a dog - the humans can sort themselves out! (A ML drop-out c1982)

Dogs are absolutely fine to take on your QMDs. (I work on a lot of ML courses).

A lot of providers have dogs.

Have fun on your adventures!