Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Women and safety

Is this Political Correctness gone mad..?

Most of the women i meet out on the hill are more than capable of looking after themselves and others.

i have to agree with most of the other posters on this thread that i feel that this sort of attitude can actually add fuel to the fire so to speak.

And i would heartily concur that any man who tackles Cara takes his life in his hands - even though we've never met the conversations we have had on t'interweb lead me to believe that any man fool enough would end up carrying his b******s in a bag to the nearest A&E dept and asking them to sew em back on :-)

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    I have got that "Crocodile Dundee" scene in my head now, except that you substitute Paul Hogan for Cara-lyn.

"Now that's a knife!!!!"

;-)))))

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Oiiiii you're giving me a bad reputation here!!! I'm friendly and nice really. As long as you're not a stalker/mugger/rapist!

I've always found that hill folk are friendly, with an exchange of "Good morning/afternoon" as I pass by. On summits I'll quite happily discuss where I've been and where I'm going, where I'm from, the usual stuff we've all done.
    It's obvious to me when someone wants to talk and when they don't. Personally I'm more chatty in the morning than the afternoon 'cos, quite frankly, I'm probably knackered by then and fed up of the same topics.
    With regards to lone females, I still say "good morning/afternoon" but I wouldn't instigate summit chats...
    Hmm. I've just pondered this and can't find a reason for it, other than being concerned that I may be inadvertently causing a threat. Sad but there it is. In truth, I've never met a lone female on a summit, though I have met several on the path.
    As for holding a gate open, I always go though a gate first if I've opened it (i.e. don't hold it open and stand back) and then hold it open for the next person to go through instead of letting it slam onto them. This avoids the seemingly non-pc issue arsing.
    Let's not be daft. There are plenty of nervous, timid people in the world, not just females. I very much doubt you'd find any of them walking alone on the hills. We should treat the women out there as we would the men, with courtesy and respect.

Sounds good to me. Only be nasty to the ones who deserve it !!

I will drop you an e-mail Annie and we can get something sorted.

Phew - that's ok then !!!!

;-))

Cr*p timing there

'Sounds good to me. Only be nasty to the ones who deserve it !!'

was aimed at Cara-Lyn

That was for Cara-lyn !!!

But Ian - well said (last sentence!!!!)

Courteouly costs nothing!

Cripes Leni, same here - terrible timing!

Well said Ian.

Cara i dont find you in the least bit scary

Anyway, Hugh,if you're still reading this, about 30-40 of us will be in the Lakes in June. Feel free to come along and meet us and chat about your book, and get our input

Goon
    just check for ticks before you head to the lakes Hugh :-)

Umph, I am somewhat inbetween here, I have stated before that I am a not so young transgender,. So far, walking alone on the hill has been no problem. In town is a different matter. I have been threatened a couple of times. On one occasion, late evening, I was followed. Basically, I suppose, living in a city one develops a certain awareness of what is happening around you. On this occasion I speeded up, ditto follower, crossed road twice, as did follower at which point I stopped, turned and faced him, jangling a large bunch of keys in one hand and my mobile in the other,at which point he decided to go back in the opposite direction. The most amusing incident was when a guy, in the early hours of the morning, got out of the car and flashed himself at me. he was either desperate or had been on something pretty potent. I wish I knew what it was?

Hey Annie, not all expats go to get married and sit around drinking gin ya know ;op

But Americans are kinda fearful of most things, that's why so many of them carry guns. Gives them a false, or possibly genuine, sense of securuty.

British women are by far superior (I'll prolly get maced next time I hold a gate open).

Goon
    Lol richie i didnt i learnt to ride rodeo went down frightfully well at the club -)

Hi Hugh,

I'm a woman, and I almost always walk alone, including the Coast to Coast (more than once), the Pennine Way last summer and countless weekend backpacking trips to the Lakes over the course of some 25 years. On Friday I'm setting off on a fortnight's walk across Scotland, alone again.

I've virtually never been scared for my safety around blokes in the hills. The only time was actually on the Pennine Way last year, when another walker stalked me all day, even though I'd gone off route early in the morning in an attempt to shake him off.

I'd be horrified to think that it was necessary, in the UK, to introduce the sort of etiquette that you're proposing to advocate in your book. The vast majority of those women out there walking are very unlikely to welcome it, IMO, and any woman too scared to go walking for fear of encoutering a dangerous man is very unlikely to change her mind as a result of what you're proposing to write.

I really do think this is a situation in which what you've been told is more a reflection of North American attitudes than those relevant to the UK. It may be that there's a history of violence by men towards women on trails in America: whether there is nor not, though, there isn't such a problem here.

I agree with those who've pointed out that addressing this sort of issue in the wrong way can lead to damaging self-fulfilling prophecies. I appreciate that your post is entirely well-meaning, but I personally feel that it's important to encourage women to be less afraid of exagerated risks, get out and discover what they can do, rather than to feed insecurities and inadvertently encourage them to believe that they need to back away from what are sometimes perceived as 'male environments'.

I hope this helps. Best wishes with the new edition :-)

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel there is another reason behind this thread. A thesis perhaps?

I run navigation and survival courses and have done for many years. I often see lone females out on the hill. Being safe in the mountains is'nt a male/female thing it's a person thing.
    There is no reason whatsoever for keeping females out of remote areas. When taught navigation, survival and mountain skills properly they are just as capable as men. If you are properly trained the weather cannot get bad enough in this country to make it unsafe. The best way to learn how to be safe in the mountains is to do a course with an ex-special forces guy. They have a totally different outlook to M.L's and will continue on in safety in conditions when the mountain rescue teams will not go out. It is'nt that the skill levels are much higher its because mentally they are better prepared. Women need no special treatment either on the hill or in the city. As for protection a short 1 day course with the same guy will make you safer than 90% of the men out on the hill.
    Let's see more females out there, a well trained person is far safer on their own than with a group... The biggest problem a woman will face is a man telling her she is no good at it reducing her confidence.
    Get out there!

Totally agree Don. My ex husband was the sort of guy you suggest, and refused to take me to the jungle until I was as capable in survival, first aid, etc, etc as he was, because you can never tell what will happen in a remote area for several days with no radio contact. Agree also that the mental thing is as important, if not more so, than any other aspect
    Only side effect is that I have a rather strange attitude to life compared to a lot of other people round here LOL!!

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    In town, I follow advice in point 1, and will cross the road to show I am not following.

In the hills, I agree with all the other posts who think this behaviour is unnecessarily paranoid. Not holding a gate open for someone who is close is just plain rude, and I'd hate to see this behaviour adopted.

More usefully, you might allay people's fears by pointing out the extreme improbability of an incident occurring, compared to the chance of them being in a car crash on the way to the walk, etc. Generally, we are becoming far too concerned by miniscule risks, and take precautionary measures far, far in excess of what is needed, to the detriment of our enjoyment and society as a whole.

Of course, if you're writing for an American audience, you might have to include pages of disclaimers stating that there are risks, blah, blah, blah, so as not to get sued because you said it was safe...