Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Women and safety

I agree with Judith's views about a stalker being bonkers to lurk in a remote place. I love night orienteering, and I much prefer to do it solo rather than in a team. I'm quite comfortable running round in the woods and over open countryside alone, the only bits I hate are going down roads in the dark, especially if they are lit because the potentially bonkers car drivers would be able to see that I'm female. Usually if I hear a car coming I switch my torch off and hide behind a tree. It messes up my timings no-end.

To echo what JJ says, I also love to walk alone.
    Thats when you feel the real solitude and can let your mind run free. I never feel the need to be worried, if I do come accross someone i will always acknowledge them and continue walking unless they strike up a conversation.
    I also agree that anyone would have to be rather insane to hang about in the middle of nowhere just in case a lone female comes along.
    I like to think that not all the world is quite as bad as it is sometimes painted!

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    Well, being one of the first on this string to think that this "advice" was a bit OTT, I am pleased to see that some of our female contributor's seem to be backing what I was thinking!

I did not want anyone coming back with, "you are a man, what do you know?"

Well having a wife and three adult daughters gives me one not too insignificant insight, and coupled with that, I take responsibility for the wellbeing of staff in a very stressful working environment, the majority of whom are female these days, (Ambulance control) so considering the different perspectives and needs of the genders is part of my working life too.

I think women in general have enough to worry about in daily living without reinforcing what in the main is, in the wider context, an irrational fear of the outdoors!

I wonder if this irrational fear is perpetuated by those who don't go anywhere near to a hill, and use it as an excuse not to?

Goon
    so thats a "no" for carrying my pack then tony? :-)

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    I like it Annie

For me, gender is irrelevant on the hills. Of course I expect someone in front of me to hold a gate open, but this is comon courtesy, and I would do the same for anyone following, regardless of gender.

I expect to carry the same as anyone else I'm with, male or female, and expect to be as competent as them. There is NO point in relying on a male walking partner to be able to look after both of you if it happens to be that male who becomes injured or gets into trouble. Far better to ensure that you are both equally able, so no matter what happens you'll be OK.

The beauty of OM is that all the males I have met through the side seem to take this as read, and there is no fussing over the women, it's just assumed that we know what we are doing and have the right kit.

Because of this, all the OM women I have met are perfectly capable and able to look after themselves in the hills, and I think that with few exceptions, we treat the hills as "home territory". I know that I for one feel safe in the hills and can survive for many days with minimal kit, and therefore should the weather close in etc, then it's the hypothetical "evil man who has headed out to trap lone female" that will have problems, not me!

Hugh, seriously, come on a meet, and see how the non-pampered real British women take to the hills, and you'll return able to tell your ex pats that yes, it is FINE to walk alone

Some people just see the bad in their own enviroment and imagine it too be everywhere.

We still need to sort out that walk Annie, together that is!!

Sorry Annie, I forgot about that - so long as you promise not to make it too heavy !!!

;-)))))

Goon
    just my gin and a wee bottle of tonic in it i promise tony!

Well, I suppose I could get panniers for the dogs----------

HaHAha, sorry Hugh not laughing at the content of this thread, its just the thought of Caralyn (aka machette woman) lurking around on Coventry High St using Woolies windows to see whos creeping up behind her like Miss Marple while muttering to herself Dirty Harry style"Go on punk make my day", then scaring the little creep sh*tless with a bloody great machette!!!

Goon
    awww tony thats a wonderful idea, still got all 12 dogs??? Leni, sure thing would love to, just let me know when?

PMSL Alan

We need smilies on here...

Goon
    we need a bar on here Alan *hic*......

Yes Cara-lyn stabs ticks with a bloody big knife, so what chance would your average "pervert" have ????

;-)))

12 dogs Annie? No just the three in my photo - I am not THAT crazy !!!!

I wasn't stabbing it, I was digging it out of my stomach with a knife. Couldn't LEAVE it in there ffs!

Goon
    Awwwww bless Cara-lyn im sure Hugh feels so much more reassured now he knows that!

I don't think how you describe the action made that much difference to the tick!!!!

The point was, don't "mess" with any woman who can do that!

;-)

Caralyn "suss out escape routes", whats that for,quick get away before old Bill turn up to arrest you???

No, it's to guide the would be attacker away after he is scared shitless!!!