Thread: Best bivvy bag out there......thoughts and suggestions

Best bivvy bag out there......thoughts and suggestions

Thought I would ask a general 'what am bestist bivvy' question.

Genuinely interested in what people use, recommend, have tried and binned in terms of a bivvy bag.

I use a msr AC Bivy Bag

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/te...y-sack/product

I have used it in many locations and weather , i like that it is big enough to put a full size mat in it , great breathbility and i like the mesh panel , you also have room at the top of the bag to put some clothes or a small rucksack .

Only issue i had i bought the yellow version :-) i normally use it under a small tarp but the bivvy has no problem going solo.

Goon
    the french military bivi is outstanding in quality;so too the british one.buy new.

For standalone, i.e waterproof it would be my Rab Sierra (formerly ID Bugaboo), or the army MVP, both around a kilo but solid, reliable and plenty big enough for chunky mats and winter bags.

For something a bit lighter for under a tarp I'd go with Borah Gear or MLD silnylon offering

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    For something a bit lighter for under a tarp I'd go with Borah Gear or MLD silnylon offering
    +1 Borah Gear

The Borah Gear event bivvy looks a real steal at that price....al I have to do is wait for the exchange rate to revert to $2 to the £

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial Dave View Post
    Thought I would ask a general 'what am bestist bivvy' question.
    As ever, "it depends".

The best bag for sleeping under a tarp is different for one on a bare mountainside with poor weather expected. As usual you've got low weight and bulk as important, but on the other more cover and comfort tends to run the other way. You choose, you lose...

Pete.

ok to expand...best one for under a tarp and best one for chuck it down when its chucking it down

I like my Terra Nova Moonlite. Only ever used it under a shelter and none of my mats fit inside but its tiny pack size and low weight make up for it.

Held on to a Rab Survival Zone bivi mainly because it's purple pertex.

I use an ancient Wintergear Goretex one for everything. By current standards it's probably pretty naff, but it only comes out once every few years so I've never worried about replacing it, and the zip keeps the midges out. Which gives you yet another axis of "best", which is cost-effectiveness. I suspect Alpkit's Hunkas will take a lot of beating there if you're not looking at spending nights in a bivvi bag as your default.

Pete.

Widdler
    No matter how 'breathable' the bivy fabric is - If it has a Silnylon bathtub floor then it's still going to have issues with moisture build up - so if your using with a tarp it might be worth looking at one with a breathable - underside also - if your out in just a bivy and it rains hard - expect a pretty grim night no matter the bivy - An ultralight tent is a relative weight to the heavyweight bivys most suited to unsheltered poor weather conditions .. I have an E Vent integral designs - best feature is that it's spacious so you can put mat inside so as not to compromise loft - which might be a slight non issue as i always try to use a sythetic bag in a bivy ..

Do not be too quick to rule out the cheaper bivvy type bags that ok but are not all that breathable, but still perform/work well. Like the Alkplit Hunka for instance. The MOD DPM camouflaged issued Gore Tex bivvy bag works well too it should be noted.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/hunka

My lovely Hunka is coming up for replacement soon, but going for the XL bigger model next time out, just to get more kit into cover too with me basically.

https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/s...nd-859965.html

The Lithuanian issue bivvy bag takes some beating here new unissued on price!

I own/have used several different types both civvie and military bivvy bags over the many years overall, ID. Cannot say have ever had to bin one though, not ever! Worn a few out maybe on the other hand, lol. Especially bivvy use in woodlands, where the sharper bits of foliage/greenery pierces the bag eventually in unfortunate circumstances, if one is either unlucky or momentarily careless.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 11-10-2016 at 01:01 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

ready to buy my first bivvy
    looking at the hunka XL as it seems a good price vs size (to fit pack in with me)

is a bivvy supposed to be windproof (i guess being waterproof there is a degree of windproofing?)

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyToday View Post
    ready to buy my first bivvy
    looking at the hunka XL as it seems a good price vs size (to fit pack in with me)

is a bivvy supposed to be windproof (i guess being waterproof there is a degree of windproofing?)
    its supposed to be windproof but breathable, as you don't want your won sweat to drown out the down bag