Page 51 of 6261 FirstFirst ... 414950515253611011515511051 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 125219

Thread: OM mini-meet on Bennachie

Yay!

Who was that man?

Only kidding Dick and Thank you for the Happy Bennachie Thread.

Well done Dick! ;o)

But I want the 2000th!

Elaine, you are a star! You just explained the formation of Tors in a couple of paragraphs, and even I can understand it! Excellent!

Had a look at the website too. Fascinating stuff! It does seem a bit bizarre that they weren't ruined in the ice age though. I was going to arrange for some of my Beinn Mheadhoin photos to be put on the web so you could see them, but the linked website already has some.
    It's not just Bennachie, there's hundreds of them round here. The Scurran of Well on Ben Rinnes is another fine example. What's interesting on B. Mheadhoin is that there is loads of evidence of complete Tors lying on their sides. They have been mostly buried over the years, but some of the rock is still visible today. It's hard to describe, maybe I *will* put the photos up somewhere.

I've known about Yes Tor since the band 'Yes' named one of their albums after it. Pity they are not a bit higher up. Mind you, you would still get some great views at 619m. I was a bit higher than that, 1182m according to the map.

Next thing I'm looking forward to is the caves in the Assynt area

Flaff - I haven't replied because I was checking on something. HMHB lands on one of my cousins b'days. If I don't do the family thing I'll get killed. What makes it even worse is that I can get free tickets! I work with a guy who part owns/runs The Lemon Tree.

I take it from your lack of posting on the Scotland thread you won't be coming to Lochnagar(?)

Hope things are a bit better at work now!

Wait a minute, I seem to be writing the next 1000 messages myself!

Don't worry Lindsay I'm getting to your post, but THEY are making me work for a wee bit

oot (just to get you closer to 2000) not worried, in anycase I am busy this morning as I a off to my usual haunt the bunkhouse at Station Lodge, Tulloch this afternoon as I have three days walking in the Mamores/Aonachs booked.

One more - enjoy your weekend at Ballater despite the poor forecast.

Flaff - appears to have moved on to other things? hasn't been heard of this week.

Finally Elaine - I note despite predicting the end of this thread it has reached 1000. I better say no more as Oot wants to double it.

Lindsay, Enjoy yersel' loon. Catch you when you're back.

Thanks for the info re: Drumochter above. I'll check it when I've got a map and get back to you next week.

Lindsay and Oot, you are doing a grand job, at this rate it will be 2000 by the end of the year.

Dick, at least Bennachie still gets a mention from time to time, hardly staying on topic, I know, but we do return there occasionally. I can see it now, many years from now, a mini meet on Bennachie, when we all meet up to commemorate a million and I finally get to meet you all. We can reminisce on the good old days when Oot and Lindsay were virtual stalkers, searching for Flaff in the wine aisles of Tescos)

Happy 1000th post Dick- it's only fitting that you got it! Mind you, I'll be racing Oot for 2000! This thread has lots of life in it yet!

me move on to other things????? nawwwwwww! I like it here too much! ) I'm no deid- just a bit busy.

That's a shame about the HMHB gig Oot- especially as you could have got free tickets (and maybe a bit of backstage action!!!!). It's a shame your cousin couldn't have their party at the Lemon Tree that night. I will enjoy on your behalf, if that's OK.

No, I'm not coming to Lochnagar this time, it's partly due to me being offered climbing in Torridon and Beinn Alligin.... and partly due to me being skint, and a wuss. The cold forecast and lack of a bunkhouse in Ballater done it finally. Yes, I'm a wimp. ;o( But I'm hoping to to get to anything that gets organised over winter, cos it's damn good fun (plus there will be no midges!) ))). That said- looking at the forecast Torridon might be dodgy! I hope I will be forgiven for my wimpishness.... I really fancy the Lochnagar round as well. OK, I'll step outside now, and you can all beat me up with rolled up copies of TGO...

Lindsay- do you have a season ticket for the Tulloch Station bunkhouse????

Oot, glad that the info. on tors helped. I hadn?t heard of that Yes album, well there you go. I will be wearing my ?I?m a star? badge for the whole day, thank you) You have a long weekend then - enjoy yourself

Back to Torridon Flaff, you lucky thing, hope the weather's turns out OK for your climbing exploits.

Lindsay, I read your last post too quickly and thought you said ?I am off to haunt the bunk house at Station Lodge? I thought for a moment that I?d been talking to a ghost for the last few months

Hope you and your clients have a good time

Aye, this is a happy thread; it's something of a happy chat channel. Long may it continue. 8¨))

And all this talk of trips is making me quite jealous, I'm not complaining though, I'm still having flash backs to Slovenia and the Julian Alps. Sandra is talking about a beginners skiing course now; I'm gently encouraging her as I'm keen as mustard to try skiing too :¨)

Yes Tor and Tormato? I had to Google it; I don't know about that and I'm a Yes fan, or I thought I was 8¨(

I'd forgotten about Tormato, and I even have that one!

Packing my stuff for Lochnagar right now This will be my third time doing 'the round' and I'm still getting excited about it!

Shame you couldn't make it Dick and Flaff. No doubt you'll be able to check out the photos later on Gordon's website.

Flaff, i know, but like I said they'd kill me. As it happens, a different cousin is trying to get tickets for The Wedding Present (remember them?) in the Music Hall. Hopefully that'll make up for it.

All of you, have a great weekend whatever you're up to. Dick, keep that picture of Slovenia in your head mate

I will :¨))

Apparently George Bush surprised the Slovenian people when he couldn't differentiate between Slovenia and Slovakia! I hope he leaves the nuke targeting to someone with a knowledge of geography.

George Bush is being briefed by his Army aide:

"And finally Mr. President, 3 Brazilian solders were killed during a border clash"

"Oh my God" cries Bush, "That's terrible, truly terrible"

The aide looks confused but before he can continue the Bush asks, "How big is a Brazillion? Is that like, bigger than a Billion?"

Dick - Ouch that hurt......... The quality of humour has not dropped! When will we see you on the hills again? Soon I hope.

Tormato was the Yes Album with "Don't hunt the whale" (or was that don't kill the whale), I have it in my LP collection somewhere.... Along with the Gabriel era Genesis etc. There I was thinking I was the only person I knew with that album and Oot and Elaine have both got it- and Dick will be getting it soon by the sound of it! lol. A happy, musical thread this one!

Oot, I understand your problem. I sympathise. I know what a 3 line family whip is like. But- The Wedding Present, good stuff. I hope you get the tickets for that, it should make up for missing the HMHB gig. Sounds like a good night out that one. ))) Your cousin's party will be fun I'm sure, a few beers and you'll be as happy as larry.

I'm getting excited about Torridon too, but at the same time, I'm sad I'm missing Lochnagar. Next time!!! I will get out with you all ) The climbing may now be dumped on account of the weather- but there might be scrambling instead. Although the predicted windspeeds are making me wonder if I will be able to stand up on a high ridge, never mind walk... Perhaps I need a parachute...

Have a good weekend Guys. I hope the weather holds up for you and that it's good on the hill.

This is for Elaine, maybe Oot and anyone else interested in tors. Everone else should ignore.

Some geologists have just published a paper where they investigated erosion rates in the Torngrat mountains in Canada. Their investigations show that the valley glaciers were wet-based, but that the ice on the mountain tops was cold-based, i.e. frozen to the ground.

Their estimate of the resulting erosion rates is that erosion rates in the valleys was high, but that erosion rates on the summits was less than 1.4 metres per million years even when the summits were covered in ice. That means that no more than 3 metres was removed during the whole of the Ice Ages.

If similar rates applied to the Cairngorms, they can explain why the ice didn't remove the tors.

Jim

Thanks for that Jim.

I was always under the impression that ice was always a very destructive erosive force and only recently became aware of 'warm based' and 'cold based' ice sheets. As you say, the evidence from Canada, could add weight to the theory for tor preservation in Scotland. It's always good to get the latest on things you are interested in.

Jim, do you know of any new theories on how far South the ice advanced. I was on Exmoor in the Summer, looking at the "Punch bowl" and I read that recent discoveries of glacial till suggest that it was a small glacial cirque and there may have been a localised ice cap.

I keep coming across links to www.ingentaconnect.com when I do searches for this and other geology topics I look up, but I don't have access.