Page 3 of 6261 FirstFirst 1234513531035031003 ... LastLast

Thread: OM mini-meet on Bennachie

Aye, it's Choppers Eve and I'm getting an attack of the Channels (old sailing term for getting excited as a ship enters the Channel on the way home)!

I did try to get an OM meet off the ground in Jan but due to weather and folk being busy it fell through in the end. I'm truly looking forward to Thursday, I'll be there regardless of the weather.

The great thing about the bank holiday is that the phone is quiet, I can concentrate on writing my hand over notes and tidying up the shack ;¨)

Good point about the phone. Mine's hardly rung at all today. Maybe today's not so bad after all

I'm home!

Just a reminder to all, plus an invite to anyone who would like to join us. All the details are in this thread.

See you there folks!

Dick

I know Dick, I know, just 24 hours to go!
    No work, and a day oot in the hills. Magic!

Weather's lookin' not bad today. Hope it holds for tomorrow.

Just so there's no confusion, it's the car park at the visitors centre, right?

I'll be the one with the red carnation carrying a copy of the Financial Times

See you there. Wooooooohooooooooo!

Sorry, been off line a couple of days.

I may have to drop out - am going to doctors at 11.30 today and if they sent me to the ARI tomorrow then I won't be able to make it.

Since the op I was supposed to see the surgeon again after 5 weeks (6 weeks on and I don't even have an appointment) and I was supposed to see the consultant and have blood tests every two weeks (6 weeks on and I don't even have an appointment...)

If not in ARI will be there. I have a silver grey Corsa (so you can spot me). If not there by 9.30 start without me.

Will try to update you all later but having internet connection problems (thanks Tescos).

Welcome back to dry land Dick! I hope you all have fun tomorrow. Wish I could join you, but I don't have enough holiday time just now, but next time... (or at a weekend).

I hope you get OK at the Doctor's Jan. Got my fingers crossed.

All these meetings that I can't get to just now

BTW Oot- is the FT and red carnation how I'd recognise you in Tesco?

It could be Flaff, it could well be

Perhaps the next meet could be in the Gorms or the Angus Glens. A bit easier to get to for folks who don't live near Aberdeen. Maybe James from Dundee would be up for it too.

Jan, hope things work out, and we see you tomorrow. It would be a shame if you couldn't make it.

Aye, Essons is the car park at the visitor centre, NJ 69842 21669.

Forcast looks a lot like todays, a bit breezyer from the west, possibility of showers. Fronts clearing away to the east overnight.

Me: Look out for a 6 foot tall 15 stone graying guy with a bit of a pot wearing glasses and carrying a blue and black sac.

Hope you can make it Jan, good luck with the doctors.

Thanks Flaff, may be next time?

See you tomorrow folks 8¨)

A brief account of today's mini-meet on Bennachie......

Quote from above:
    "Forcast looks a lot like todays, a bit breezyer from the west, possibility of showers. Fronts clearing away to the east overnight."

Once again the weather people got it wrong. It was certainly breezy, yes. From the west? More like north west. The possiblity of showers? - Ha! More like probability of showers! We got thoroughly soaked by torrential rain mixed with hailstones on the top of Mither Tap. Visibility went down to almost nothing in minutes!

However, all was not lost. In between showers the sun did break through a couple of times leaving us with quite good views in every direction. It wasn't too cold tho', Dick wore a T-shirt for the first half of the walk, me just a microfleece.

Managed to see one of the two plane wrecks, although in all honesty it could have easily been bits of an old washing machine No, it was a plane really!

Started at 9:30 and was back to the Visitor Centre by 14:45. Stuck to Dick's route above, and only had to get the map out once (engrossed in conversation, and so missed a path).

All in all, a thoroughly enjoyable day out, with excellent company. Cheers Dick!

Jan, unfortunately, didn't make it. Hope all is well Jan!

Not quite sure what happened to Lindsay. Ok mate, you may not have committed to it, but you didn't say you weren't coming either. We were both expecting you to be there... Oh well, next time hopefully.

a'boot - good to see that you had an enjoyable day despite getting soacked. One of the reasons for not coming along was that I thought Dick mentioned finishing around 4.30pm. I needed to be home earlier than that as I am getting collected shortly to go to this road race down in Stonehaven.

If flaff had been going I might have given the race a miss and gone to Bennachie but I have paid my entry fee. I think we have scared her off although there is safety in numbers.

Hope your love life is making progress.

I will try and make it clearer if I am going on the next Bennachie meet.

Off to Ben Macdui and Cairngorm on Saturday. Looks like Braeriach on Sunday and Monday with different clients.

My Jura visit should be on my web site later tonight or early tomorrow so you can plan your backpacking trip there. Well worth the effort - just the long drive to and from the ferry is the problem.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your day oot Oot and Dick, I followed your thread and wondered how your meet turned out as I tramped across Dartmoor today. Turned out to be a very mini meet then but good company made up for the weather - brilliant.

Best wishes from me too Jan.

Struth! You do road races as well? You fit b*gger... lol

Love life? Long story.... no, I'm not writing it on here. It's not all bad news tho'

Probably off to the Gorms myself this weekend, not quite sure which part yet tho'. Can't even decide if I'm camping or not yet. - I'll wait and see what the weatherman says... now there's a laugh

I'll look forward to reading the Jura trip. Yes, quite a haul to get over there, but I'd probably stay longer than a couple of days if I ever do get out that way.

Ach, Lindsay, you should've come today, it was great.

Anyways.... I'm off down the polling station to vote for the............

a'boot - if I keep fit I might be able to catch flaff before you do.

Is Newtonmore not on your agenda this weekend? I don't know what she is doing there as the nearest Tesco is in Aviemore and she would be easily spotted there in that red and black outfit.

Weather for the weekend isn't looking too good. Same as you experienced today but low cloud at times and snow higher up with a cold north wind. You speak about camping in winter so ideal conditions for you.

Sorry I missed the outing hopefully next time. Dick seems to be on Bennachie virtually everyday he is onshore.

Voted last week by post - a lot easier but it won't make the slightest difference. I won't be any better off whoever wins they all want to spend my hard earned cash.

Jura should be published within the hour.

Hi folks, sorry I didn't post last night; it was my son in law's birthday so after the early evening family get together Sandra and I were baby sitting whilst Derek and Melanie went out for a meal. Little Callum missed them, he hollered for nearly an hour after they left!!!

Thanks for a great day out Paul, it was great fun on the hill and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm sorry Lindsay and Jan couldn't make, it would have been more the merrier.

The ride home on the MTB was fun, most of it is downhill!! The down side was getting covered in mud and sand thrown up by the wheels; all my gear is soaking in soap flakes and the new Berghaus sac is getting its first wash already!

Family commitments and "The New Deal" (see earlier post!) mean I can only get out during the week, at least the hills are quieter. As Sandra needs the car for her work I can only do the hills I can get too under my own steam most of the time. I try to get on to Bennachie at least once a week when I'm home. To date I have generally caught the bus out to Oyne and walked back to Inverurie after a day on the hill. Now I have the bike I'll probably do more of the same as yesterday and cycle to Esson's. It means more excercise all round and a neat combination of walking and cycling. Big gear purchase for next year will be a second hand van when Sandra's work sells them off; that should bring a lot more hill into range!

Anyway, a great day out yesterday and thanks again Paul, I truly enjoyed your company and look forward to meeting up with you again soon.

Best wishes.

Sincere apologies for not making it - or confirming I wasn't coming. Having terrible trouble with Tesco internet. You can only download the dialup software once and then you have to get a CD from them (which none of the shops have...). So, as I had to format hard drive I cannot connect because I am STILL waiting for the software CD to arrive. THis means I have paid for a months use at £12.49 and have only used 3 days!!!! AND THEY WON'T GIVE ME A REFUND!

Anyway, glad you had a good time. I was having needles stuck in me and roaming around getting prescriptions and stuff.

I think you can guess what I would rather have been doing.

Must dash - this is pay as you go (yes, I am paying twice!)

Top of the gear list for Dick.... A new back mudguard

I was thinking about your "New Deal" and lack of transport last night. Can't remember if I mentioned yesterday that my company does flexi-time. It's possible for me to take up to 2 days off in a four week period. But I need a to give lots of advance notice! If you ever fancied doing something a bit more adventurous then please let me know. I can easily come by your house and pick you up, likewise your son in law if he's up for it. With an early start we could easily get down to the Gorms or Lochnagar etc. and back again by tea-time May's going to be busy because of the OM meet in Glen Coe, and my week off after it, but the next time you're back onshore I'm sure we could arrange something.

Similarly, if you ever fancy going up to Bennachie in the evening (yes I know it's breaking the New Deal slightly) please get in touch with me either on here or by email.

Lindsay... So Flaff's in Newtonmore eh? I'll race ya! Oh no, wait a minute, you'd win I'll see you there instead

Read your Jura trip report. Sounds like you had a good one. What happened to the report of the Trossachs eh? All those single women and not a single word about it

Elaine... you could say it was a tiny-teeny-weeny-mini-meet )

My walk was only half the size of yours But enough of lone walking on Women and safety.

I come here coz it's a happy thread.

a'boot - there is something there about the Trossachs but as usual my charm offensive failed drastically - now back to Tescos (Aviemore this weekend).

Need a new approach - probably more direct and to the point. A better disguise (red and black outfit with bobble hat)would probably work!!

Being too fast doesn't always get the bird - was back out this morning for a warm down as I won't have time or the energy over the weekend.

What's the next step in your love life - I hope its not one step backwards?

Perhaps you should try the Hugh Westacott approach

He has 'ladies' queuing up to walk with him.

my business attracts either married woman or those of pensionable age - maybe I should advertise on my web site