Page 11 of 6262 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: OM mini-meet on Bennachie

Sounds like you've got your work cut out there then! All those Munros you jammy sod Still, think of all that money you'll be making At least you'll be able to afford Kintail in July! Hope the midgies leave you alone. We had a few in Glencoe on the first two days, but it wasn't too bad.

I'm sure Flaff will forgive you eventually

I've asked her where the photos of her are on the gallery. We'll see what has to say about that one! )))

Hi Dick - Back at sea I hope you enjoyed the days off you had recently.

To help wile away the hours, you can think of a good walk we can do when you're back

Just sitting here waiting for my neighbour to arrive so we can go down the Leys Hotel. Depending on how many I have, will determine if I'm away for the whole weekend or not.

The house still looks like a bomb hit it I may have to restrict it to a day walk on Sunday

Oot- mine's a bombsite too, but won't get to it for a couple of weeks- I'm oot adn aboot too often just now! lol

Oi Flaff, answer my questions

You can't just waltz in here, leave a sentence and waltz out again.....

No, didn't go to Beinn a Ghlo. Was too hungover on Saturday. Instead, did Ben Gulabin and a Munro (can't remember the name off hand) from Spital of Glenshee. About 8.5 hours, 3 of which were in the pouring rain

Right then Elaine.....

I'm no geologist, so I'll have to ask my question in "laymans" terms.....

A bloke I know told me the following, and I'm wondering if it's true:

Foinaven and Arkle... The bottom half of them have been there, like, forever. But the top halves are relatively new.... Approximately 500 million years younger than the bottom half. Now, he reckons that the top halves were once a beach(?) The reason they know this is that there is plenty of evidence of sand worm "holes" in the rocks scattered on the top. Because the sandworms were soft bodied there are no fossils of the worms themselves, but their "holes" are still there. When I said 'plenty of evidence' above I meant there are thousands of rocks with these wee holes, according to him at least.

I didn't have this gem of information the last time I was up there, but I honestly don't remember seeing any rocks with holes in them.

So what's the scoop? Is he right? Was it a big beach once?

Hooray! a geology question:-)))

I"m not sure of the dates off hand but basically, in simple terms, I think that's about right. Information like that just makes you stop and think - it's what I love about geology.

I posted a thread last week on Geology of N.W. Scotland - I'll bump it up. It's not easy going but you might find some of it of interest. If you use the Assynt Geology link and look on the home page and then site map and find the link to The Rock Sequence, The Cambrian, there is a good account of Foinaven and pipe rock with pretty pictures.

There is some other good stuff on how the pipe rock has been thrust into lots of layers, stacked up a bit like a deck of cards, to form Foinaven, Arkle and something beginning with C? Some good photos with superimposed geology.

They are both great web sites, if you are interested I can guide you to some of the other relevant stuff on the Foinaven area.

Canisp.

Bless you )

D

I wasn't tinking of Canisp as it's outsiide the Moine Shear Zone, but you are right in that it's capped with quartzite ptc.

Cranstackie

Holy Moly Elaine! You've been busy

I've had a look, and it would appear from the 1% that I understand, that it was indeed a beach at some point. And the sandworm hole thingies are actually "Skolithos". How very interesting.

I'm going to take more time to have a look at these sites. Dunno why like, as 99% is way over my head

I'd like to think I'll come back and engage you in intellectual banter about Moins and thrusting, but somehow I don't think I'm going to say anything you don't know already.

But, at least now I have an excuse to go back up north and have a proper look )))

Thanks for that Elaine. You are a true gem!

PS The 'C' is probably Cranstackie

oot- there's a picture of me in the members gallery..... go look.

really busy here just now. Dead harrassed adn stressed. Work, wedding and the shadow.

See Scotland meet 2 thread. Midgies have made me rather gorgeous (not). More anon.

PS What Q's did you want an answer to?

Oot' - you have mail! (dates for walks that we talked about).

Ta,

Dick

No probs. Oot. My knowledge is very sketchy really. I am hoping to get up there later on in the year so I look at those web sites quite a bit. Can't wait to see it all again and the chance to talk about it, keeps it all fresh in the mind.

Don't miss the stuff about Henry Cadell, he was the first person to get to grips with Foinaven's geology. There are some brilliant animated reconstructions of his experiments on mountain building. Gives you an idea of the forces that went on within the earth's crust, giving us what we see today.

When you've got a minute Henry Cadell

Flaff, sounds like you need a big helping of relaxation and pampering. You might feel like you can't afford the time but it'll be worth it - take care:-)

Sympathise with the midge bite problem. Great timing:-) I've found hydrocortisone cream1% works for me but not for use on the face or broken skin. How about antihistamine tablets?

Flaff - You mean that's the only one? But it's the same as your profile photo(?) No matter how much I "blow you up" your head just turns into pixels That's not fair

What's the shadow? Sounds ominous....

Aye, I saw your tale of midgie hell
    Awwww... Flaff. You poor thing you... Come 'ere and let me give you a nice big hug.

Elaine - I'm glad your going up there. If the weather's good, you'll love it! If you get the chance, a trip to Cape Wrath is worth it too. Not from a geolical point of view, it's just a really cool place

I'll check out the Henry Cadell stuff later at home. Cheers!

Dick - Got your mail.

Okidoki. I'll try to arrange something with 'She Boss Devil' for early July. I'll let you know by email a bit closer to the time. Are you not free in June?

I had to laugh. When you said a couple of dates, I was expecting 2 or 3. On the other hand, I have your entire "free-time" calander for the rest of the year )))))

Nice one!

I've been really lucky with the weather in Scotland on the whole, in the past trips have been around Easter or Sept /Oct time. I go with the attitude that it will rain, so when the sun shines it's a real bonus:-)

I know the West Coast up to Oldshoremore and some of the North, around Erribol and Durness. Only looked at Foinaven from a distance. Cape Wrath has eluded me so far. I'm hoping to get back into back packing and do some wild camping this time and quite fancy going up the West Coast from Oldshoremore, not sure if we'll get as far as Cape Wrath but looks like some great cliffs and beaches on that stretch.

Sandwood Bay, just north of Kinlochbervie is a great wild camping spot. You need to walk about 4 miles to reach it. It's supposedly the most beautiful beach in Britain. Not quite sure if I agree with that, but it's beautiful nonetheless. Camping can be done behind the beach beside Loch Sandwood.

I camped there earlier this year. Saw a couple of people during the day, but I had the place to myself at night

You also get great views of the Am Buachaille sea stack, either from the beach or from the cliff tops above it. Also, from the cliffs, on a clear day, you can see all the way up the coast to the Cape Wrath lighthouse. Definitely worth a visit

Sounds idyllic Oot, I'm making notes here. Was that your route to Cape Wrath?