Thread: Lake District Ullswater area.

Mini Goon

Lake District Ullswater area.

Hi all, am hoping to get up to the Lake District at the end of the month for a bit of wild camping a d have looked around the Glenridding and Ullswater area.
    As it's a reasonable distance from me I was thinking about getting there late afternoon and for the first night just camp at the Glenridding campsite (Gillside) or crash at YHA Helvellyn to get my bearings.
    Then in the morning set off and wild camp from there.
    Does this sound a reasonable plan?
    Not been to the Lakes before.

Ta

Yes, essentially if not well specified. Masses of other roughly equivalent plans in the area too of course

Mini Goon
    As you said, many other plans/areas, Glenridding is as good as any for me at the moment. Not my first wild camping but not familiar with the Lakes is all. Will plan my route from this area now I think.
    Cheers

Gowbarrow might me a nice fell to wildcamp on; not too high and not too busy. Nice views as well if you find a decent spot

Angle Tarn (East of Ullswater) is a nice camping spot, lots of little outcrops to hide a tent behind. I've also camped at Red Tarn, beneath Striding Edge which is ok too. Both would be easy short walks from the road if you found you had more time on the first evening.

Mini Goon
    Cheers for the advice. Came back Friday from 3 nights out. First night we played safe and got settled at a farm campsite. We had a new tent to try out (Vango Nova 300) so thought it better here than miles from anywhere if something went wrong.
    2nd night we hiked around Glencoyne valley, tried to get to Gowbarrow Fell but we were a couple of miles short due to going slow through my GF's persistent knee problem. We camped by Common Fell and had a cracking view of Ullswater and sunrise. Checked out Aira Force in the morning.
    3rd night parked up at Hartsop and hiked up to Angle Tarn, was another couple setting up camp when we arrived but it was fine.
    Last two nights it was very windy and noisy but the tent held out and kept us warm and dry. Was a great experience.

Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan1902 View Post
    ... Was a great experience.
    That's good to hear. Well done!