Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous wildlife

Mini Goon

Dangerous wildlife

Hi
    because I noticed someone on classifieds was selling the john Muir guide book I googled it looks great.

however I have oftenwondered how you can walk in areas where there are creatures big enough to take you on.

john muir goes through Yosemite which has grizzly, cougar, and wolves. Not something I have dealt with in edale

what are the safety measures in these areas. Whenever I watch documentaries on the polar exploration they always
    have a hunting rifle for polar bears . Yet people ramble about in the mountains of the USA with a flimsy tent and a cook pot without a care in the world.

is it safe

cheers
    john
    Last edited by Clarks; 22-09-2016 at 09:56 PM.

On a more serious note - wait til Ed comes along, he's spent a lot of time walking in the US :-)

Goon
    You could try this to learn about bears. Or, in more detail, this.
    Wolves don't tend to get involved with people.
    I don't know much about cougars, but some people wear hats with eyes on the back because cougars prefer to pounce from behind. Seriously.

Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarks View Post

what are the safety measures in these areas. Whenever I watch documentaries on the polar exploration they always
    have a hunting rifle for polar bears . Yet people ramble about in the mountains of the USA with a flimsy tent and a cook pot without a care in the world.

is it safe
    Black bears and even grizzlies are fortunately not as dangerous as polar bears, so no rifle is needed.
    I think the important thing is what you said: people (hundreds of thousands) ramble about without a problem, as long as they take the appropriate measures for bears - hanging food/bear cannister as appropriate, cooking away from camp etc.

No grizzlies in California. Black bears are generally not interested in you unless in high-visit areas where to a large extent enforced use of food canisters has helped with annoying bears.

So don't camp in the same places everyone else does....i.e. where the JMT guidebook suggests...
    Use a can where you have to.
    Hang your food elsewhere, or sleep with it if you like.

I've done all three.

‹bermensch
    So, if you googled the John Muir trail, then all your answers were there.......wanna buy my book and maps??????

I've camped in Zimbabwe where the wildlife would visit both at night and in the day, the hyeanas came right up to the tent and so did the baboons, little monkeys would steal your food and anything else, hyeanas would chew through anything (even your leather boots) so food had to be locked away at all times. Ants were a problem for getting into food suspended from trees. Lions and other large predators thankfully kept their distance. Armed with just a stick and a knife, you know you don't stand a much of a chance so you keep your distance as much as possible, keep food out of the way. Elephants really like fruit so keeping fruit in your tent was a big no. All good fun though.

A pal of mine used to be the RGS expedition officer so he's variously dealt with all sorts... or rather for the most part he hasn't, because he's followed the rules that the locals have come up with over the years to deal with the issues.

I think for the most part that folk I know who've been walking in Africa & N. America are happier taking their chances with the big stuff than a few billion Scottish midges...

Pete.

‹bermensch
    I have walked the JMT and over half the Appalachian trail (AT). On the JMT you have to carry a bear canister and you need to put all food and toothpaste/ other smellies etc in it at night. I learnt to put cook pots on top of canister at night so if Bruin bashes it you are awoken; good then to have collected the night before some decent stones for throwing in the direction of the bear; accompanied by loud shouts. Some surround the canister with big rocks, probably not worth the effort.

On the AT you are advised every night to hang your food bag in trees, or in the shelter. Hanging food is an acquired skill, where is a suitable 25 foot (8m) high branch when you need it? In my experience there were more issues with smaller critters like mice and chipmunks eating into your bags.
    Although you rarely see bears odd times on the AT, if overnighting near a shelter, I did think about a tree climbing escape route to use if a bear came along. However black bears climb better than us. I knew a guy who was treed by a bear and spent two hours poking it with hiking pole.
    Last edited by SD; 19-09-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Widdler
    The most dangerous thing statistically in hiking in the US is the drive to and from the trailhead. All the large predatory animals get hunted and for the most part want no interaction with humans. I'v seen bears many times, sometimes close enough to swat with my poles. They always run away. Raccoons, jays, crows and squirrels are the most annoying. Deer looking for salt can be pesky too. Chewing on your clothes, pole grips, and the like. Don't sweat it. Be aware and use some common sense and you will be fine.
    Polar bears and grizzlies need to be given a wide berth.

Widdler
    BTW, no grizzlies or wolves in Yosemite.

Mini Goon
    It was definitely quite daunting when we started hiking, as we started in the National Parks in the US. It's not only bears and wolves, it's also moose and mountain lions you need to worry about, not to mention rattle snakes.

We carried bear spray with us all the time, one can each and also a bear bell. We made plenty of noise round corners and anywhere the wind was blowing loud enough not to be able to hear us. We managed to avoid the bears, but did come face to face with one mother moose and her two calves, a bull moose and a rattle snake.

It adds to the excitement for sure. There was only one time in Glacier (where they have the highest concentration of bears) where I really really felt quite uneasy. We were about 9 miles in and just so so out there in the wilderness, i felt very much like something was nearby but couldn't see anything. We had been told about a mother grizzly and two cubs being spotted nearby.

Always worth asking the rangers before you go out what to look out for, but there's only so prepared you can be!

Gees! Just been off reading this bit about bear attacks on people outdoors!
    Frightening stuff! He had bear spray, and did everything you are supposed to do to avoid being attacked, yet still got himself bady mauled! What can you do!!!! Second link there tells you exactly what bear sprays contain interestingly, I thought.

http://www.outsideonline.com/2124656...t-bear-attacks

https://www.outsideonline.com/211545...OTg0Nzk2ODIxS0
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 27-02-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Mini Goon
    Hi all
    well I watched the revenant last night. I think we can all see my concerns ��
    Last edited by Clarks; 10-12-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Your concerns for the continued welfare of Mr Leonardo Di Caprio following that horrific bear attack are most admirable, I reckon there, Clarks!
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 28-02-2017 at 04:33 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Mini Goon
    Hi trevor
    iam less worried about Leonardo , he is an Oscar winner with net worth of 250 million.

More concerned with me and mine getting eaten buy a bear.

john

I do know that, I was just simply joshing really there a mite bit with thee of course, so no worries, John. ok.

It is ingrained in our collective human psyche I suppose, that bears down in the woods have a tendency to eat us poor tasty little humans who cannot run away fast enough to outrun the big bear's seasoned and well honed prey pursuit instincts. However, in reality at least, bear attacks on humans by all species of known bear continue to be very rare occurrences indeed in the wilds worldwide. So I would not worry too much! Good to know a bit about approaching bears in the wild if it should unfortunately happen to one still though, yeah I tend to agee. One does not wish to be that rare case like in the famous and slightly hilarious Camp Granada song lyrics. Never mind the film portrayals of sudden worrying bear encounters like in A Walk In The Woods or even the grand outdoors action adventure movie of 1997, The Edge. Think more helpfully instead then perhaps maybe of the film Deadly Pursuit from 1998 here therefore; wherein the sidney poitier portrayed FBI man character shouts and screams at the encountered animal; both screaming loudly and waving wildly, whilst standing up as tall as he can and raising his arms to make himself seem bigger than he really actually is! This is still taught by experts to be the correct course of action on meeting any actual wild bear. Much better as a tactic than playing dead, or Playing Possom as some term it, and too trying to actually outrun a bear! They have four very powerfully developed legs to our somewhat mostly underdevoped two; so not really that much chance of it doing you any real good perhaps in running away from the bear, unless one for good instance were the fastest man alive maybe, Mr Bolt! The thing that always gets me is all the people silly enough to think genuinely that climbing a tree is a really good way to evade a bear! They climb from birth so are actually rather proficient climbers too by the time they are adult bears!
    So tree climbing definitely not as good an idea at all then in that case, remember!
    http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content...ranada-462.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoot_...281988_film%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge_%281997_film%29

Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 04-03-2017 at 04:48 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

That is one big bear paw here!!!! Just look at those massive razor sharp claws too!!! Yikes! Frightening stuff indeed, I think we're all agreed.
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 04-03-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

That Deadly Pursuit bear encounter is here actually below then, for your enjoyment/pleasure and too possibly outdoors education on bear survival tactics maybe taboot, as it were!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjSq9LYcUw

Fantastic stuff! Great outdoors movie and my all time favourite one in fact as well really! Back in those days I was a newly qualified cinema projectionist so got to see this over and again. These days those projection jobs once there are few and far between to be found anyplace! Most cinemas show films on dvd disc projection equipment these days in fact, sadly!Ah well. Such is life.

Anyone recognise, interestingly, that big pack knife carried by Berenger there in the film, at all perhaps then? Comes of course when factory knife production styles in the US was chiefly influenced by big Rambo/First Blood style outdoors survival blades, as being the modern day frontiers Bowies/hunting knives kind of a thing. Think it is a Gerber definitely, but of a style now no longer in production. Either an LMF or the similarly produced BMF model I believe it to be.

https://survivalthreads.com/topic/195-gerber-bmf/

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...nal-LMF-Knives

http://cutlerscove.com/survival-knives/gerber-lmf.htm
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 04-03-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble