Thread: Camping in Tenerife

Widdler

Camping in Tenerife

We are looking to travel to Tenerife for climbing / hiking and were looking to camp, but a quick bit of research suggests that camping permits are required and that they need to be requested in person (with passport) in advance of the planned nights camp. Is this right? Does anyone have any experience of this or how to make it work for a holiday?

Mini Goon
    I have spoken with Paddy Dillon, who wrote a guide to the place. All true I'm afraid. I think he also says that you have to go to the local Town hall to get them. It was a while ago, but after I'd spoken with him I decided to forget about it as far too much hassle.

Widdler
    Hi - this may be too late for you, but in case it helps anyone in future: permits are required, but they are free and with a bit of research (and the help of a Spanish friend!) we found it is actually possible to get permits online before travelling. We did a trip in March and stayed at three of the different government campsites. Unfortunately I've deleted the relevant emails, but I know we had to complete the form that's downloadable from this page : https://sede.tenerife.es/sede/es/tra...ar-en-travesia and email it to the Cabildo. They were actually pretty helpful, and we got the permits back really quickly - then just printed them off and carried them with us. We only had to show them once, but that have been because everywhere was virtually empty - who knew Tenerife could be so cold and wet in March...clearly not us! From memory there was also a website that listed all the campsites and their availability on different dates, but I'm afraid I just can't hunt it down now. The Cabildo may be able to point you in the right direction.

Widdler
    Thanks for the replies. We ended up renting a small apartment which worked out reasonably cheap and convenient. The weather wasn't as good as we'd hoped for with strong winds, cool weather and snow/rain on some days so perhaps the tent wouldn't have been that enjoyable anyway!

Widdler
    Hi... this is something that's always been on my list of places to visit. Would you recommend? Did you enjoy the hiking and climbing around there?

No one has had a stab at answering this one for a bit so thought I would chip in a mite, if that is ok! Trip Adviser online is you best friend here perhaps still, I reckon!

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...y_Islands.html

http://www.tenerifehiking.com/camping-in-tenerife/

Paddy's guide is definitely a very good bet for this type of info too most likely!
    http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/de...e#.WKH6Q6OoK8A
    'Of course we have an excellent range of walking and trekking guidebooks - use the code BPSPECIAL to get 25% discount on any guidebook until the end of February.'
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 14-02-2017 at 04:12 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    We had a great time, I would definitely recommend it. We hired a climbing instructor who took us to a variety of canyons for sports climbing and we hiked up El Tiede (although the conditions were horrible - snow, hail, rain, wind and quite cold!). There is lots of walking to do (ref. the book Trevor posted) and lots of climbing if that's your thing. The climbing is very mixed from beginners to expert. I'm a reasonable beginner and there was plenty of variety for me.

Widdler
    Hi... this is something that's always been on my list of places to visit. Would you recommend? Did you enjoy the hiking and climbing around there?

We spent a week there as a last minute switch from The Lakes. We weren't expecting much but were blown away. The central caldera and the gorges in the north west are stunning. Some incredible paths that run along gorge-walls and through tunnels. In fact I think one section might have been both the most interesting and most exposed path I've ever walked. Just stay well away from the coast as it is grim.

Mini Goon
    Also recommend the adjacent island of La Gomera. Also volcanic but only a few moments of vertigo for me. A Great variety of landscapes over a tiny island - from misty laurel forests where the massive root systems are covered in moss and aeoniums, to open semi tropical areas of rock, aloe, daisy and weird succulent euphorbias, to bare rocky descents, banana plantations, and presumably climbing for those who want it. About 6 days or less to walk a circle round the island to get back to the ferry to Tenerife.

That would be pretty much fun if give it a try and i am sure anyone planning to approach these areas would have a quality time because of the way it all works out has a lot of impact. The quality time is one important thing that has to be done, once it all starts working it makes the trip very memorable.