Thread: Wild camping on Dartmoor - location suggestions

Widdler

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help - my friends and I are looking to do some wild camping at the beginning of September for a couple of days. Get a bit of R&R in before the kids go back to school.

We are ideally looking for something near a stream/river, not too far from a carpark, its been a very long time since I went wild camping on Dartmoor and even then I was not really clocking where we went! We are quite happy to drive to any location on Dartmoor but will be coming from the direction of cornwall if that helps.

Edited to add, if there are any campfire friendly locations -that would be good to know too

Thank you in advance for suggested locations

I may have said this before... For general ideas, Emily, put Dartmoor in the search box above right and plenty of info will come up to trawl through

I live in North Cornwall so know a couple of directions you're likely coming from - A30 towards Okehampton is a good starting point, or A390 to Tavistock. An easy and attractive jaunt near Tavistock can be found by parking around Burrator Reservoir and heading for Sheepstor or Dartmoor beyond. It's a popular spot. Drive a bit further if you like and Princetown offers 360-degree options nearby. From Okehampton you could go onto the moor past the army camp, park at the fork in the army ring-road, and use that or any of the easy routes towards Yes Tor to get onto the high moor for far-reaching views for example, or, before reaching Okehampton, turn off the A30 to Meldon reservoir and park there, then head up the valley.

Campfires if wild-camping in the National Park are prohibited by Byelaw - see the Dartmoor National Park Authority website for useful wild-camping advice and an interactive camping area map. There isn't much wood on the moor, what there is likely to be on private land where wild-camping isn't permitted by DNPA agreement anyway, or at sensitive SSSI sites that shouldn't be vandalised, and, with large areas of peat, campfires can cause problems that only become obvious after you've gone which is one of the reasons they're not a good idea.

Note that in September you will need to be sure there is no live firing on any of the three military ranges you might want to go on - again, DNPA website offers a useful link. You need to be self-sufficient on the moor so may as well start at the planning stage, rather than rely on anyone else to sort things out for you!

Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler

thank you both! Some great tips, locations and links!

Toots, I thought that may be the case re: Campfires, but wanted to check... I literally have not been WC on Dartmoor for 20 years! last time I went we were a group of teens and we did do a fire although it was on a slate river bank... At that time I had no idea about what was pc or not and took my cue from friends. Now older and more mature (well older anyway!) I want to make sure we are where we are allowed and doing what we are allowed!

As for self sufficiency... we are resourceful women! Lol.... we will ensure there is wine in the car and food to feed the masses It may be wild camping but we need a certain level of our creature comforts

Also, I am sorry that I did not use the search facility, I am just used to asking a question on a forum, and as a regular user of other forums... used to answering repeated questions over the years, didn't mean to tick folks off

Emily

This site is "wildish" with stream and allows fires

http://www.runnagecampingbarns.co.uk/camping.htm

Initiate

Hi Emily - and hi Mole and Toot!

Toot is right about the byelaws but more serious protective legislation for the bulk of Dartmoor is through national laws on SSSIs and European laws on SACs (Special Areas of Conservation). See link for what activities are covered. http://www.sssi.naturalengland.org.u...OLD1002951.pdf

Dartmoor is a fabulous place - I'm sure you'll have fun. But please (and I'm sure you will)leave it in pristine condition, protect watercourses etc. It never fails to horrify me how people can trash an area they presumably enjoyed spending time in. Groups can, sometimes,be bad news...

Have a really great time though. Don't forget midge repellent, especially if in a sheltered area. I recently camped on the top of Fur Tor, had no midges at all. Met a group in the morning who'd camped below us and they'd been forced into a very hurried breakfast by midges. Maybe check the forecast and if there's a very low wind, camp high?

Let us know how you get on?

Widdler

Hi there, thank you for the replies. Mole, I really like the look of that place, and would actually love somewhere that we could have a little campfire however, for a number of reasons we have opted to go completely off grid, one of the main reason's being that the one friend would rather not have to pay out for camping as she is in the middle of house renovation and has already been on a couple of holidays this summer. However, if she is unable to come for whatever reason I and the other lady may well bear this place in mind.

Rob Dixon 2, thank you for the link and the clarification regarding bylaws and protection laws.

I too love Dartmoor, its scenery is awesome, next year I am booked in to do Dartmoor with a bit of a twist for a week, there is a lovely farm right on the moors that allows you to bring your horse along. I am really looking forward to a week of exploring on horseback.

With regards to respect for the environment - that will be foremost in our mind, we are all very conscientious of such things and would not dream of it being any other way.

Funny you should say that regarding midge's I met with one of the other ladies today and was saying exactly the same - that we must be careful not to be eaten alive

Weather forecast wise, so far it is looking a bit like some rain will be in order, but a lot can change in terms of weather, so our fingers are crossed... however, we are pretty hardcore outdoors people so a bit of rain will not stop us from making the most of our trip. Wind wise, looks ok too, but again will be keeping an eye on that.

Huge thanks to all for the pointers and suggestions, I will of course let you know how it goes,

Widdler

Wild camping on Dartmoor location suggestions

hi,In camping barcelona now, easy access, ample pitch for my 32 brave, pets welcome, free shuttle bus into matero or barcelona. A good shout will definitely be back here again.