Thread: Etrex 10

Widdler

Hi all. This is my first post, apart from the introductions.

Anyway let me get straight to the point. My grandson (yes I'm reeaally old) is interested in getting started with geocaching and we have been having some small walks together to see if he's ready for the adventure.

His mother borrowed a rarely used Garmin etrex 10 from a friends husband to let him experiment with and he is doing quite well with it. I'm not totally computer illiterate so I have been keeping up with him so far but we have both hit a wall when it comes to waypoints.

If he/we download coordinates straight from the computer to the Garmin we can follow the path to wherever it is. When we input a waypoints coords and give it a name it all looks ok but navigating to it is impossible it seems.

What happens is, we go to 'where to' click 'waypoints' and scroll to the one he wants. When he then selects 'go' it takes him to the nearest coords that were downloaded from the internet (lets say a geocache) but not the waypoint he has selected. I took it from his house to mine which is about a mile away and tried the same waypoint but when I selected go it took me to a different geocache which is closer to me.

I'm stuck. I no nothing about gps systems and I so want to help him. Hero worship and all that.

I am going to have to go out after posting this but I will be back so thanks in advance for any tips.

Widdler

Oh dear I mean I KNOW nothing about gps.

You have downloaded a route - a series of waypoints that are joined up. When you select a point within a route, the device will take you back to the route by the shortest way. Sounds odd but is quite logical.

you need to set the geocaches up as new waypoints that are independent of the route.

(generalised as the subject of waypoints is quite large)

Widdler

Sorry about the generalisation, as I say waypoints have me beat, geocaching nearly as much, although I'm learning so I can help/surprise him.

As for downloading a route, I'm unclear about that. We did download a couple of geocache coords and there were one or two still on the gps but it was the ones that were already on that popped up.

Thanks for answering.

Etrex

Предлагают поменяться гарминами - мой garmin etrex vista hcx на новый garmin oregon 200кто в теме подскажите стоит ли соглашатьсяgarmin etrex vista hcx -?????? ????? ?????? ?????? ?????????????????? ????????????garmin oregon 200 - ?????? ????? ?????? ?????? ?????????????????? ????????????