Thread: Talkback: 7 Reasons Why Trekking Poles Are Great

Indeed! They are great, and Pacer Poles especially I hear tell.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/leki/...er#review36044

Leki poles review Micro-Vario-Carbon type.
    Trevor DC Gamble

8). It's a recycled Leki Press Release, and they would say that, wouldn't they?

You'd hardly put me down as pole-averse, having written the much-used Pete's Pole Pages, but take a step back and think about how great those "greats" really are.

"They help build upper body strength". Well, yes, butso what? If you really want upper body strength there are better ways of building it, and if you don't really need more of it while it might be a nice side-effect it's hardly "great" from the perspective of a walker.

"Using walking poles has been shown to boost calorie burn", but why is that necessarily "great"? You're using 20% more calories? Thou'll need to take 20% more fuel with you... So it's good if you're trying to lose weight, but you may not be.

4 and 5 are potential Great points, but it does vary. Our legs are generally much better at taking the strain on a walk because that's what they've evolved to do, and if they're up to the job at hand then helping them out is just a way of wasting effort. It's noteworthy among human-powered vehicle designers they've got past adding hand cranks to pedals, because you can use your entire aerobic capacity quite well using your legs alone. It's only when you're over-reaching what they can really manage (which you quite possibly are, particularly with heavy loads and/or suffering knees) that poles are really beneficial.

The anti-shock thing is a big meh. Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I ram these in to hard ground! Then don't ram them in to hard ground, place them and then load them... If this were an issue, as opposed to a marketing thing, normal walking sticks (typically used by relatively fragile people, walking on hard ground) would have been using them by default for years. They don't...

"Trekking poles will enhance your overall endurance"... so by making you use more energy, that's bound to mean you can go on for longer? Hardly a given, is it? Theymight, if you need extra help for your legs, but if you need more help with just basic supplies of ooomphthey'll quite possibly reduce endurance.

And they get in the way and are a faff. So use them when they help, but don't assume they'll always help.

Righto! Lol
    I know, or seem to recall at least, that Chris Townsend is a big walking poles aficionado!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Always usually use only one pole if feel like taking them/it out with me. Guess to get even some of the good effects claimed I should be always using two together do you reckon maybe, Peter?
    Trevor DC Gamble

"Always usually"... ummmm

Should you use two? That depends on what you're trying to achieve. Questioning what you want, and then assessing how to go about getting that, is IME&HO a much better approach than getting stuff because it's meant to be good.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post
    ...a better approach than getting stuff because it's meant to be good...
    Or because you fell for some marketing bullshit put out by the manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor DC Gamble View Post
    ... Chris Townsend is a big walking poles aficionado...
    So what? Chris Bonnington has a beard but that doesn't mean anyone else should grow one. Joss Naylor wears jogging bottoms but that doesn't make them ideal hill wear for everyone. Some well-known people are even willing to wear bobblehats in public.

Funny coincidence that with CT having a beard too. How very observant of you! No it is not at all compulsory for others to copy others. Why ever should you even think that it would be is beyond my comprehension. Old original Field and Trek sold bobble hats I recall, think I might have even bought one! No idea what became if it now.
    Trevor DC Gamble

I seem to endlessly carry poles for others and they never get used! Reckon I'll get the Alpkit foldable ones as a backup if they ever come back in stock... I did have some Karrimor ones but the twist to lock feature is so useless that everyone who's borrowed them has struggled with them!

I must admit I have been out on walks with poles secured to the pack and never needed nor therefore used them too as well!
    Trevor DC Gamble

‹bermensch

Actually if you have a go at Nordic Pole walking and get it right it can boost you speed across level ground by quite a bit.But try it on uneven ground like the Lake District and you'll see it's difficult to keep the rhythm going and you can easily fall flat on your face as a friend on mine did trying the technique is Eskdale!IMHO Poles do have theirplace (and not just at either end of the planet )!

It's like any tool, used correctly at the right time it can help. My 80 year old friend swears by them on descents as it helps his knees.

Goon
    8:they keep your tent up!

Goon
    8. They keep all my tents/tarps up!

Yes! A good point there with that, Old Boy.
    Trevor DC Gamble