Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: BMC To Change Its Name To Climb Britain

Widdler
    I think it's completely unnecessary, but then I don't think climbing should be in the Olympics and I fear this name change is simply a case of the BMC pandering to that cause.
    I just hope they don't forget about walkers and backpackers or neglect dealing with access issues.
    I'm also deeply unimpressed that they didn't seek the views of members - I'm off to make my feelings known to my elected representative - not that I think that will change anything, but lets see...

MC of S has just announced it'll be Mountaineering Scotland from now on. Not as awful as "Climb Britain" but an unnecessary rebranding for the sake of doing it.

They did actually try it a few years ago, presenting it as more or less a fait accompli, and loads of the membership said bollocks to that and it stayed as MC of S. Apparently there was a consultation this time, but I must have been asleep that day.

Meh.

I think there was some kind of survey thing I saw last year asking folks their opinions on names such as this one. They probably want to re-brand as think it is a way forwards toward interesting more younger people, who might think a name like the BMC British Mountaineering Council is a bit stuffy and old fashioned perhaps.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Another idea was RSPB becoming Britain's Birds or Birding UK. Yes! I know! I switched off after that and did not complete the survey! Lol
    Trevor DC Gamble

"Climb Britain" sounds like a charity fundraising event.

"Council", electable body there to do stuff on your behalf. That's a problem?

This silly survey I saw listed common organisation terminology with what they interpret as young people thinking of them. So Council, was stuffy, elitist and bureaucratic! All words I am sure the average young person would not ever really use, lol. So it is more obviously an exercise seemingly in what the adults think is best for the kids here I think rather.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Waste of time and money.

Likely to confuse and dilute awareness of the BMC, especially as they've said they intend to continue to use the BMC identity for some media activity.

A fine example of the sort of 'corporate brand identity' nonsense lampooned in the likes of '2012' and 'W1A'.

I don't think climbing should be in the Olympics and I fear this name change is simply a case of the BMC pandering to that cause.

The pandering to shiny bauble obsessed Sport England does seem to be a common concern.

I'd rather see a real competitive sport like netball be in the Olympics than climbing. I liked climbing because it wasnt competitive. Speed climbing, my arse...

‹bermensch

The BMC only has a presence in England and Wales but not Scotland so I suggest they get rid of the word British but not replace it by the word Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by captain paranoia View Post

Waste of time and money.

Likely to confuse and dilute awareness of the BMC, especially as they've said they intend to continue to use the BMC identity for some media activity.

A fine example of the sort of 'corporate brand identity' nonsense lampooned in the likes of '2012' and 'W1A'.
    Yes, see also the very similar rebranding of the CTC to Cycling UK. I didn't like the ditching of the winged wheel logo, which was classy and had heritage. If you rename something to make it contemporary, you need to keep doing it, otherwise it dates really quickly.

Ridiculous. I think the re-naming is clumsily trendy; the new name is ungrammatical, simplistic and excludes traditional mountaineering and fellwalking - we are not all sport climbers.

Long thread on UKCS as you'd expect

Yes, see also the very similar rebranding of the CTC to Cycling UK. I didn't like the ditching of the winged wheel logo, which was classy and had heritage.

I'm not exactly thrilled by CTC becoming CUK, but that at least makes a bit more sense to me. Although the CTC stillisa cyclists' touring club that's now only a small part of its remit but the name doesn't suggest that's the case.

The winged wheel is nothing much to do with the CUK re-brand, it was mostly gone back when I first joined around the turn of the century.

Pete.

As for ridiculous things being considered for inclusion to events in the Olympics, I could not believe my ears when Radio four talked of the likelihood of Jousting, yes as in Medieval Jousting possibly soon being adopted.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Maybe they could bring back Lions versus Christians too I thought. Oh, hang on though, I suppose that is just really another version of running isn't it.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Jousting... well, "Modern Pentathlon" is based on 5 things that a good pre-WW1 cavalry officer should be able to do well, so you've got military skills as precedents. It's going back further, of course, but then e.g. the discus throw goes back to ancient Greece.

TBH I'd sooner watch jousting than climbing, which is very much a Thing To Do rather than to watch IMHO.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by That bastard Skip View Post

the new name is ungrammatical,
    Is it? Surely they've just missed out a comma and it's Climb, Britain! with Climb being an imperative?

I can think of another two-word imperative phrase that seems suitable in this case...

Or just plain 'Climb Britain' in the sense of walking up the tourist path on Ben Nevis

Pretty baffling though.

Ha ha ha, very good, Martin.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by captain paranoia View Post

I can think of another two-word imperative phrase that seems suitable in this case...
    I wonder if it consists of an impolite intransitive verb followed by an adverb?