Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 weeks in the Pyrenees, what to take

Comfort is important.

Camera? DSLR?

Just wondering where the weight is coming from?

You could lose the dedicated GPS and use your phone as it appears you will be near power sources a lot.

My camera is a lumix tz60 so smallish, i have the whole route for the 3 weeks on my gps... I guess some of the esxtra weight comes from phone charger, backup batteries.

i am still mulling over the clothing list based on the advice already received. My first aid kit is probably a bit over the top as it one i use when leading Ramblers group walks..

You should not need much backup if you are at a power source every day?

Ah; i just carry some tape, ibu, and antibiotic cream....if that.

Ed what type of tape ? My physio has advised me to carry tiger tape as i had a bad achilles problem last year..that tape and under tape is a tad heavy. I will look at reducing the first aid kit...

Strappal - best I have found in years.

Don't listen to me..I cut kit down too far for many tastes - whatever you are comfortable with.

Thanks to all for your advice.. It has already taken several pounds off my load...will keep looking at my list.

‹bermensch
    My first aid kit has always been Ibuprofen tabs...thats it..
    A buff will do as an emergency bandage.

As long as its a clean buff, not like mine used as a kleenex

Does it matter for first aid?

Jim.

Does seem a heavy load with no camping gear.
    My bag was 7.5kg without food/water/fuel and I was carrying the tent fly and peg plus all cooking gear, my sleeping bag and mat. Mind you, my partner's baseweight was slightly heavier due to her preference for a thick heavy synmat and more clothes than me.

One thing I do when travelling ( we go by train). I wear my oldest pants and socks and an old T shirt for travelling, and then change and ditch them when I arrive. That way I start walk with fresh clothing (and my Rucksack gets instantly lighter)

I am travelling to Paris by bus, train to Bayonne and local train to Biddaray ehich is where i had to pack it in last year dur to torn calf muscle.

i guess i just have not invested in enough lightweight gear...

Mini Goon

I agree with the comment on the Cicerone guides - I'm using it to plan for a couple of weeks this August so haven't actually walked with it but looks detailed and well written. Got mine for about £7 from eBay.

Sorry to hijack the thread but do any of you have any recommendations for a section about 10-14 days long? I'm going with one other guy and we're keen to wild camp as much as possible to keep costs down. We're both pretty fit and experience hikers/campers so are looking for a section with nice scenery primarily. Also don't mlnd going off the actual GR10 route either for a bit. Looking at doing a circuit in the Parc National Des Pyrenees as well - heard good things around there.

Cheers!

Ed

An area that i have been walking for the past 4 years is centred near Argeles Gazost, along to Estaing, Cauterets, the valley of La fruitieres. Easy to include cirque de gavarnie and cirque de tromouse, so much to see....

Ed

Jim is right - there is a lot to see.

We did a 14 day loop last year, mostly wild camping.
    On trails in this order: GR10, HRP, GR11, GR15, GR11, HRP and GR10. Fantastic scenery all the way.

We enjoyed it so much, going back in late August to ( probably) start at Cauterets, and do another fortnight on GR10, HRP GR11 and paths in between.

Here is a link to my partner's blog posts about our trip:

http://broadviewfromasmallfarm.blogs...-pyrenees.html

This time, we are planning on going back through the Parc National and Monte Perdido area. Then Eastwards and haven't worked out the rest yet - probably do it as we go along like last time.

Mole, really great blog, well worth the read and stunning pics. Thanks

Thanks Jim.

I'm just the "straight man"

(I do gear, nav and backpacking logistics - she does the transportation,translation and reportage!)

Seems like good teamwork....

Mini Goon

Top blog that and really good photos!

I think the plan for us is to be pretty flexible with the route as well when we get there but I'm just trying to plan where to fly to etc. Ideally the plan is to do about 10 days of walking I think then spend the rest of the trip on the coast somewhere - either near Biarritz or Perpignan.

Hearing good things about the national park, don't see any reason to go anywhere else really. At the minute it's looking like flying into Biarritz then getting the train for about £20. Not sure what to do for the way back though.

In your blog you mentioned you're only meant to camp near the refuges - I assume it's a similar deal with wild camping in the UK in that you're not really meant to but still do?

Cheers for all the help so far by the way!

Having asked for advice on what to take before i set off for the Pyrennes at the start of August i thought i would give some feedback.
    i took 2 pairs of ron hill tracksters, 1 pair of shorts, 3 very light T shirts, 3 pairs of socks, waterproofs ( worn twice), 1 pair of light shorts for sleeping.
    I only used 1 pair of ron hills.. 2 days and some evenings so 1 pair of RH's redundant, i wore shorts the rest of the time. I wore I T shirt for walking and washed it every other day and 1 T shirt once we were in our accomodation so 1 T shirt redundant, only used 2 pairs of socks so again 1 pair too many.
    i wore the waterproof jacket and trousers twice in very heavy mist and then light drizzle but took them off on both occassions as i was getting just as wet from them as i was from the weather, so probably could have managed without in August.
    I was just too conservative about cutting down on stuff despite the good advice from here.
    The pack weight was not a problem but even so i could have taken a couple of pounds out of the pack.
    i did as Mole suggested and wore old clothes for the ourney down to Bidarray and then binned them so started out with fresh gear.
    Just out of interest i took a couple of tubes of zero rehydration tablets with me and made up a litre of drink using two tabs every day..... i have always suffered with cramps in my calf muscles after a decent days walking but not once in the 3 weeks so i am totally convinced that they work for me.
    Last edited by jim turner; 16-09-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Glad you had a good time Jim.

Where did you walk?

We got back on Monday from 2 weeks backpacking in the Pyrenees. A loop , starting in Cauterets,G10 and HRP, then headed south into Spain, where we travelled on various GRs and PRs, East,SE then N, then back West on the HRP again to finish in Gavarnie. Very dry compared to last year.

From Bidarray to Bagneres de Luchon on the GR10