Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ultimate equipment tents.

‹bermensch

"This is turning into reminiscences by wrinklies (polite, posh argot for geriatrics)."

LOL I hope not, I'm only 26!! .........................I just happen to have an interest in most thing's 'tenty'.

I've heard people mention Ultimate tents before and I've googled for them but cant ever find much info.

‹bermensch

It would be nice to see some info on these tents in here Find me a tent

‹bermensch

"This is turning into reminiscences by wrinklies (polite, posh argot for geriatrics).

LOL I hope not, I'm only 26!!.........................I just happen to have an interest in most thing's 'tenty'."

It's just a matter of time, dear boy!

Ultra King

I've got a fleece by Ultimate, got it 14 years ago when a student and was my first ever fleece. I used to walk in big wooly jumpers in those days and I went to a small shop in Headingly, Leeds on a late opening for student clubs with 20% discount. I got a full set of gear needed for walking including a full set of paramo waterproofs (they still called them waterproof in those days).

Spent£200 and got fleece, trousers, paramo Alta tops and trousers, expeditions 4 compass (still going), gaiters and some other bits and pieces.

By the way I still have the ultimate and wear it in winter when giving my Dad a hand cutting trees and hedges. the 200 weight fleece helps keep thorns out. Unfortunately a sad end to gear that has seen many good hill days, but is as good as new. Not the same as newer fleeces that have started to fail at seams. Shame the good, old, traditional qualities are no longer around.

I wanted a phoenix phreerunner or Ultimate tent when I was young and got my first Field and Trek catalogue. I remember thumbing the tent pages and saying I want one of those. Still do it now and still can't afford to get everything I want.

By the way I am not an old wrinkly, but guess I must have been a child prodigy with some of the old stuff I remember. By the way I remember UK based factory shops for all the main outdoor gear manufacturers. I remember there used to be quite a ferw factories in the UK. I lived near to Karrimor and liked to pick up cheap seconds and end of lines. The seconds used tohave things like extra line of bar stitching on the straps that washardly negative faults. Are there any factory shops left in the UK??

Lowe Alpine had an office in Kendal and sold end of lines or unusual colour lines in the Kentdale Rambler, but this has since shut down.

I met Bill Wilkins a few times but was never an Ultimate consultant. I was only starting out back then!

The problem with googling Ultimate is that the word has so many uses. Hilleberg is much easier!

If you google "Ultimate tents" there are 1,760.000 results. None of the first ten refer to Ultimate the company. "Ultimate Peapod" brings up 119,000 results, the first one of which is for a tent called the Ultimate Peapod - made by Marmot!

I still use my peapod now , it's24 years old ,and still does the the job intended ,including a KIMM a few years ago . I changed the front fibreglass pole sections for an alu shockcorded pole from Bulldog (a birmingham company ) but not the rear one ,because they couldn't bend the tubing that tight .Mine is the original peapod ,and not long after it came out they brought out the peapod 2 ,which was a bit more spacious .

For all the young-uns , the peapod 's poles were made up of individual piecesthat you had to put together (no shockcord) and it was a work of art to get the flysheet taut enough .Despite this it was a revelation in lightwieght tenting and even got high praise in Footloose magazine ! I regard it as the granddaddy of the flexible pole tents that we see today .

Mini Goon
    I had a couple of Bill Wilkins early tents,one was a 1 man single skin the other a 2 man with fly sheet.I think both were called Bivvy,I still have the single skin in the gear cupboard somewhere,last used with 2 of us squeezing into it for the Karrimor in the Howgills in 1977.The flysheet model wasgiven to a friend to use in Karrimor in the early 1980's.They did the job ok and for their time were a good product.

‹bermensch
    Call me a saddo but I think somone should open atent museum

Widdler
    Ultimate Peapod. Havent found a tent that matches the performance of the wee peapod had mine since they came out in the 80's reproof it every second year and it still goes on and on. Pity there are no nu ones on the go. the only other tent that for me matches the performance is that old war horse the VAngo Force Ten. At least they atill make them

Peapods were good tents in many ways, but as for some absolute degree of "performance", my recollections of seeing my Peapod-using pals in them in the snow suggest to me that they did have their shortcomings...

Pete.

Pete

certainly my old Ultimate Tramp was far more suitable for use in snow than the Peapod.

Widdler
    we had 2 Ultimate Horizons, we went to the mill in Halifax to pick up a set of poles, Cora`s mills in Barnsley bought out some of Ultimate if I remember as we bought a lot of clothing including an Ultimate Parka for my wife over the years - I think the tents suffered from U.V degradation in the end, I and my mate still have an Ultimate Challenge each in Cerise & yellow - don`t use mine now as I have a Terra Nova Laser and a palatial tin tent - offers for the Challenge to dave.thorpe@talktalk.net

Just picked me up a mint Ultimate Equipment Peapod this morning, I post some pics for us all to remenisce over, then Ill probably fleabay it G

having had it up all morning, the first thing i have to say is I cant belkieve this is a 1 man tent...its so big!! the floor space must be similar to TNF tadpole or TN Voyager!! Pics to follow.

Pics of Ultimate Peapod can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=ulti...24764178%40N08

bring back any memories???

Me and Wayne Ashton doing a fortnight of backpacking in the West coast of Ireland in 87 ish. Glorious weather. Tents faired very well.

Widdler
    I still use my Ultimate Horizon, it is at least 23 years old. I wish all tents were as reliable water proof and long lasting, I have been through many family tents since my life progressed from a 2 man. Now I can get back out without kids the tent is still good.

Mini Goon
    I'd never heard of them ,looks a very nice tent,I can see where Macpac from New Zealand
    got influenced in there tent design with the fly holding the inner tent.

Does anyone know the location of the mill where ULTIMATE manufactured from I believe it was in HALIFAX.

PM Dave Thorpe. Six posts above yours.

it was on walnut st Halifax, but shut down around 20 yrs ago, hope you havent got any returns.