Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: ultimate equipment tents.

I've just come across this forum today and what memories it brought back.

Bought a lightweight Peapod 2, complete with carbon fibre poles, in Jan 1984 with the aim of using it to walk the Pennine Way during the April of that year with two others. We were all sea-going engineers and planned the walk during our 6 months trip on-board. We worked up our fitness by climbing engine-room ladders during sea-watches (up and down 10 decks several times during each 4 hour watch)

As a practice walk in February '84 we walked the Dorset coast path. This was the first time I used the Peapod - it was big enough for me plus a Border Collie and a Golden Retriever. It was so cold one night that the condensation froze and I was able to take the front pegs out and open the tent to a wintry sun in the morning. The Peapod pitched outer first using 4 main large plastic yellow pegs; in bad weather it was possible just to pitch these quickly and to get everything under cover as it had a large vestibule. The fly was large enough for the three of us (and dogs) to get under for a communal brew or play cards with the inner down.

The tent survived that plus the Pennine Way, and continued to give good service for many years until I eventually gave it away about 10 years ago to a young lady. The only mishap was with a split carbon pole on the main hoop, but that was replaced by a fibre-glass pole cut to size.

Thank you for the memories.

Widdler

I bought an Ultimate Tramp in 1981, two person. Palatial for one, 'cosy' for two. Has not been used very much, a few inter-rail trips in the eighties. Has been dragged out more recently for Eroica and other cycling get-togethers. It is a great tent. I like the fly-first pitching. I have a custom extra groundsheet, plastic sacks taped together and cut to shape!

Klaatu

Just found this forum ... I'm still using an Ultimate Peapod bought in summer 1983.

Widdler

Just reproofed my Tramp 1 and a Pheonix Phreak both going strong together with a bomb proof Quasar.

Widdler
    Hello I purchased a U-7 Packer 76 it by the look of it never has been pitched . Bought it from a charity shop and looking forward to going camping in the next few weeks . Hopefully be able to put some pics up soon . Why aren't tents made in England anymore it's such a shame . Kev

Widdler

Hi, I bought an Ultimate Tramp 2 in the early 80's. It's had a lot of use and only let me down once when a nasty storm in The Wicklow mountains brought it down. Could have been my poor pitching though.

It's just been used for a short cycle tour so I gave it a bit of TLC yesterday. I reproofed with Fabsil gold and replaced some broken guy lines. I also replaced the line tensioners with line loks but it was a shame to get rid of the originals with their 'Made in England' stamp. So iit's good for another 30 years.

Jim

Widdler

New tent from the Ultimate stable bought lately.
    Anyone know the name, beats me. Seems to be a version of the tramp but bigger, good nick too!

Widdler
    And as photo*uckit is playing ball here's few shots of my pretty much never used "The Tent" from Ultimate. I hope to rectify the never used but soon.

Mini Goon
    It could be the Ultimate Packer tent from '76'ish. It is very similar to my Super Packer which has the front poles moved to inside the tent and a semicircular zip. IIRC, I was looking at a Packer, but before I could buy one, the Super Packer came out, so I got that one. £75 from Safari shop, Tricorn centre, Portsmouth, 1977.

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham O View Post
    It could be the Ultimate Packer tent from '76'ish. It is very similar to my Super Packer which has the front poles moved to inside the tent and a semicircular zip. IIRC, I was looking at a Packer, but before I could buy one, the Super Packer came out, so I got that one. £75 from Safari shop, Tricorn centre, Portsmouth, 1977.
    Aaah very good info thanks! Very little online about the packer but managed to find the following here http://www.go4awalk.com/m/ask/ask.php?q=37132

"I bought an Ultimate U7 Packer in 1971/72. It weighs 5lb and is quite roomy for two people with a large alcove at the front, created by an A frame construction with a cross piece near the top. This creates a flat top section which tapers down to the small pole at the other end. In terms of interior space (particularly head room at the entrance) in relation to weight, I have never seen a more successful design. It initially appears unstable during pitching, but its ability to flex in the wind is a plus point in stormy conditions - it has never blown down. I have used it extensively for wild camping over the past 40 years - a total of many months under canvas in all conditions, including heavy snow, high winds and torretial rain. In recent years it has required quite a bit of fabric repair, and last Summer (2012) I had the problem of the pole connectors at the entrance end breaking three times during a wet and windy night on the mountains. This convinced me that it will at last have to be retired. However, I am not finding it easy to replace. Tents of comparable lightness generally have far less space for wet equipment and boots. It was one of the best investments I ever made.

Tony Ive, Hurst"

Tonys description seems to suit it's design. If he's right it's getting on 45 years old!
    Interestingly it's modular in packing with three bags of varying small size for each piece. Very nice to pack, ala the name I'm guessing.
    Last edited by edisdead; 23-11-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Mini Goon
    I never knew the Packer was that old, but it is a good design. The only problem I've had with mine was that water can pool on the flat roof section. I made a ridge line from cord and bungee which attached to the corner pieces at the front and the rear pole which does the trick.

In more recent years, I've tried various domes and geodesics, but always prefer the speed of erection of the Super Packer. From rucsac to erect in under 5 minutes with all guys out.

I've also got "The Tent" albeit outer only. One day I will make an inner for it.

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham O View Post
    I never knew the Packer was that old, but it is a good design. The only problem I've had with mine was that water can pool on the flat roof section. I made a ridge line from cord and bungee which attached to the corner pieces at the front and the rear pole which does the trick.

In more recent years, I've tried various domes and geodesics, but always prefer the speed of erection of the Super Packer. From rucsac to erect in under 5 minutes with all guys out.

I've also got "The Tent" albeit outer only. One day I will make an inner for it.

Great to hear of its effectivness and I will look into copying your mod to eliminate looking! Maybe a 3m self adhesive hook point in the middle of the saggy area and as you say some cord and bunjie.

Incidentally have you seam sealed any of your Ultimates? I have a later Phoenix Phortress who's sealing is coming away so I've removed it and am considering redoing it.

Here's my Phazor dome from a few months back drying after getting the dwr treatment. Was delighted with this example as it's pu coating is perfect unlike my other phazor.

Oh and another shot of the tent..

Last edited by edisdead; 23-11-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Mini Goon
    Never seam sealed the Super Packer and don't think there is any need to do so. The seams are proper rolled seams or lap and fell seams or are bound. Any water which does get through is going to be minimal and gravity will pull it downwards away from where it can cause problems. I think that back in the 70's waterproof technology was still at the stage of "we can't prevent water ingress except by using high quality seams" whereas today, it's more a case of "throw it together and the seam sealant will hide any problems".
    I had a Dunlop proof coated nylon cag which didn't have taped or seam sealed seams just French seams and don't remember water ever getting in. However a bit of cool rain would have been pleasant after the buildup of hot sweat. Even Berghaus garments in neoprene nylon weren't taped when I bought mine in 1980.

Uumm yeah! Well, ok, there is actually a fair bit on this great older brand of tent online in fact, particularly even on here as it happens, matter of fact. Just a couple or more links below as an example, for good instance.

http://forums.outdoorsmagic.com/showthread.php/7611-ultimate-equipment-tents.#w7JGjCSJ8XizYLoA.97

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=133673

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/...TopicID=244267

Sad to see the link to Ultimate tents no longer brings up relevent data on the OM link therein on last above link though! Very likely a Tramp 1, or bigger Tramp two possibly!
    http://picclick.co.uk/Ultimate-Equipment-Tramp-1-2-man-backpacking-tent-131887644018.html

Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 23-11-2016 at 03:32 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor DC Gamble View Post
    Uumm yeah! Well, ok, there is actually a fair bit on this great older brand of tent online in fact, particularly even on here as it happens, matter of fact. Just a couple or more links below as an example, for good instance.

http://forums.outdoorsmagic.com/showthread.php/7611-ultimate-equipment-tents.#w7JGjCSJ8XizYLoA.97

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=133673

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/...TopicID=244267

Sad to see the link to Ultimate tents no longer brings up relevent data on the OM link therein on last above link though! Very likely a Tramp 1, or bigger Tramp two possibly!
    http://picclick.co.uk/Ultimate-Equipment-Tramp-1-2-man-backpacking-tent-131887644018.html

Hi Trevor, good links and I'm rambling in at least one of them no doubt! As to my first pic I haven't seen an example of this model anywhere online be it forms or that outdoorsinovate ultimate resource. The closest is maybe what Graham O reckons in the variation of the packer.
    I think, but am very open to bring corrected that the tramp 2 was an "A" pole arrangement rather than the three poles compromising the one I've shown, basically a bigger tramp/hobo perhaps?

Yeah, worth a bit of an involved and thorough search here in the onboard OM Forum search engine too no doubt, I do still definitely reckon there, bud. I sadly do not have time to go there doing this today, sorry.Reading very much between the lines within a few of these such threads here, I found today though, I did see that a lot of folks tend to seem to get this brand of tents mixed up a little bit manufacturer wise, with that other great - now sadly also defunct too manufacturer of fine outdoors tents of some craftmanship - the Robert Saunders brand, who did the excellent Spacepacker and Jetpacker styles etc.

May even be worth a look see here to see if there is anything there to help ones quest? Lots of Ultimate brand tent pics there - at second link below - to maybe match yours too quite possibly.
    http://www.outdoorinov8.com/compassnews.html

http://www.outdoorinov8.com/ultimateimages.html
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 23-11-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    The Ultimate Phazor dome was the tent of its time. A true classic which would get into any Tent Museum!

Widdler
    Hello, I'm from Ukraine, I bought this kind of tent, prompt the model and year of release, sorry but I do not know English