Thread: Gaiters

Mini Goon

Hi. What gaiters would you buy for use with a rain kilt. Im thinking extremities trekgaiter for lightness but may choose a gaiter that is maybe more breathable but may likely be heavier. Keep in mind it will be with a rain kilt, with either shorts or Shorts and base layer. Or even trousers that could maybe be rolled up when the kilt and knee high gaiters are worn or just under or over the trousers. How would knee gaiters feel on naked leg. Would it be better to buy the most breathable even if heavier after saving some weight with a kilt instead of rain pants and with the possibilty of wearing them over naked shin. Maybe they wont be used in summer or over naked shin. Maybe the best kilt system and when gaiters might be needed would be with a light wicking baselayer anyway, with shorts or trousers rolled up. Is there an idea for a gaiter lower leg baselayer. Anyone knowing if you go for maximum breathability or lightness in regards to a kilt system not to be used in winter. The kilt is mid shin but may blow up in winds so knee high may likely be needed over mid high. cheers.

What do you want/expect them to actually do?

That's what I'd be asking myself before I started looking. In the Vaults here we've got stuff ranging from full-on boot-enclosing Yeti-gaiters to simple ankle high debris gaiters. They're all for quite different jobs.

Does that really say ' rain kilt ' up there? What if so is a rain kilt exactly when it is at home guys? Is this like a modern outdoors use take on a traditional Scots kilt?
    Trevor DC Gamble

An open-at-the-bottom (i.e., well vented, like a poncho) garment to keep the rain off your pelvic region and thighs. Personally I'd go for a longer "old fashioned" shell (something like Rohan's Hilltop) and save the bother, but there's not much choice available in those.

Pete.

Initiate

Step back and consider why you're wearing a rain kilt. If it's to go ultralight, then knee high gaiters are most likely going to wipe out the weight advantage of not wearing waterproof trousers.

What shoes are you wearing? If they are non-membrane, consider not bothering with gaiters. You're already naturally waterproof (skin) so if you're not wearing trousers underneath the kilt, what are you protecting? If they have a waterproof membrane, find the lightest gaiter that is a tight fit against your ankle / shin, to stop water dribbling down your shin and into your shoes, where the membrane will do an effective job of keeping it in. But I can't advise on that.

Personally I'd not bother with gaiters.

I often use light ankle gaiters to keep debris from my non waterproof trail shoes. If on trails all the time I don't bother, but off piste on screey or heathery stuff, I find them useful. I use ID(now Rab) shorty events, and in summer Dirty gurls. In consistent wet and winter I use Treklite Grasmeres.

Not tried a rain kilt yet, but my partner uses one in summer.

Goon
    Hmmmm...I'd go with knee high gaiters for less rain on my legs and less to run down into my gaiters - IF I was forced at knifepoint to wear a "rain kilt".
    "Rain kilts" are to rainwear as torn auto convertible tops are to driving comfort.
    Last edited by Eric Blumensaadt; 24-12-2016 at 04:11 AM.

It may just be me that doesn't understand this, but I don't understand this.

If you're wearing a rain-kilt, I assume it's raining? So far as I know, the thing to do then is to wear the long poncho jobbie, or waterproof trousers (I's choose the latter). If this isn't done, then with non-waterproof long trousers or shorts instead then surely the rain is going to run down yer leg and get inside your gaiters (I don't know of any with a water-PROOF top seal), then it'll get inside your boots, so why bother with gaiters?
    Last edited by Toot; 25-12-2016 at 05:31 PM.