Thread: Talkback: World's First Sugar Weatherproof Jacket

Well of course all these such more eco friendly outdoors products are to be applauded as they are all welcome. But I do tend to wonder exactly how sweet this new sugar product actually really is? Is it everything you would want from such a product or not maybe? A breathable natural membrane? Weatherproof as in waterproof, or just water resistant?
    Trevor DC Gamble

Its got very little indeed to do with sugar 'Just' another way to make complex plastics but using biotech as the starter material rather than oil.

It'll be anutterlycritical technology in 30-40 years or so. Slight shame that it appears to be for the face fabric only.

Sounds maybe as though it is a starting place they are at now, which would be a good one to improve much upon; in order to give us worthwhile workable future products perhaps. Definitely do not think I would want to buy this they are offering now though myself, really!
    Think that perhaps they need to sweeten the pot a little more before they really have something amazing here.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Would really love to see some tests on this new face fabric/jacket maybe anyways!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Next: gingerbread shoes...

I concur with Martin's comments; it's just a different feedstock into the plastics synthesis. I always think burning oil is a terrible waste of plastics feedstock...

‹bermensch

Pretty sure that ICI (as it was then) developed a few plant based synthetic fabrics in the 1980s. Tencel was one I believe.

The problem is that for large scale production it can take land (and water) away from food production. I know this is an issue with some bio fuels.

Brazil manages to use their waste sugar cane after processing for bio fuels but for some other countries it can be detrimental.

I imagine that for fabrics it will be less of a problem but then the amount of oil used for clothing production is tiny compared to overall oil output.

70 million barrels is used for clothing out of the 35 billion barrels of oil produced every year, so 0.2%.

The cotton industry is far more damaging to the environment due to the processing required and the amount of water used in both growing and processing.

There have always been plant based fabrics, and the first world war uniforms of French soldiers were apparently made out of stinging nettles fibres woven together. Wonder if stinging nettles could be made somehow or other into a kind of synthetic fabric that doesn't literally cost us the Earth.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Pretty sure that ICI (as it was then) developed a few plant based synthetic fabrics in the 1980s. Tencel was one I believe.

Synthetic cellulose fibres (of which Tencel is one) were the first synthetic fibres to be developed, and are derived from plant material, rather then petroleum feedstock. The various production methods have changed, but the fibre is essentially the same, barring cunning spinning head designs.

Viscose and rayon are the generic names (though I thought both were originally trade names). Modal, Tencel, etc. are different trade names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayon

Thanks there, cp! A huge big gap in my knowledge all this type of fascinating stuff is!
    Trevor DC Gamble