Thread: Softshell

‹bermensch

I'm looking for a softshell or fleece ideally made with polartec power shield or schoeller fabric. Past experience has shown that these fabrics offer the level of wind resistance and breathability that I like. Google searches seem to indicate that what few softshell that use these fabrics are either discontinued or in sales with limited sizes. One alternative I've come across is the outdoors research ferrosi hoody. Anyone got any experience of this jacket? Any other suggestions?

Oh, it has to be stylish enough for casual use and to be worn to work on cool summer mornings.

Thanks.

Initiate
    Montane Sabretooth? Bit trim, size up.

While I'm a monster fan of this sort of stuff downstairs where the stretch works with the most mobile part of your body, for the upper body my experience is that a light fleece with a windproof shell works better more often in a jacket, and it's typically cheaper and lighter too. So the various Vapour Rise offerings from Rab, Rohan's Kona Jacket, Buffalo's Fell and Teclite jackets, etc.

Pete.

‹bermensch

What Peter says...

An alternative is to layer a stretchy wind resistant jacket without the insulation part over a light micro grid fleece (power dry or similar)

Something like a Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody (schoeller fabric) which is not much heavier than a pertex windshirt (and can usually be found on sale).

The total weight of the combination will around the same as a power shield jacket but more versatile. The only thing you'll sacrifice will be multiple pockets.

Banned

Or you could try one of the 'new' hybrid shells like the ME kinesis- they're windproof, warm, but light and breathable so you don't bake. Only downside vs old school softshell is the face fabric isn't as bombproof, so thrutching up chimneys isn't on.

Initiate
    Agree. Sold on my Sabretooth a few years ago and bought a Rab Vapour-rise. So much more breathable, (needs a windshirt over in a cold blow though).

‹bermensch

Of those I tracked down via Google montane's sabertooth and black diamond's dawn patrol seemed to fit the bill. There are a few around but getting the right size has proved nearly impossible.

I bought a rab paradox recently and have generally preferred it to the vapour rise jacket I have. Even so worn on its own at about 8 dropping to 6 degrees it was too warm and ended up very damp. I'm confident had I kept it on it would have dried out quickly enough.

I think the black diamond alpine start hoody mentioned .by fatwalker might be what I need. Thanks for your help and suggestions

Initiate

One budget price option for a stretch woven light soft shell is the Decathlon Forclaz 600 light. The fabric is very similar to the OR Ferosi Hoody but the price comes in at not much more than £30. If you want some matching lightweight stretch softshell trousers then the Forclaz 500 at circa £35 are also worth considering.

Banned

This is mine, and it's a superb garment that is within my price range -http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/jackets/mens-softshell-jackets/exodus-softshell-p12201.aspx?cl=RED&utm_source=google&utm_medium=Go ogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=CNLnis6 Ty8wCFeEp0wodxPwPhg#product-text

‹bermensch

Thanks Ashley. I might take a look. But last night I ordered the OR Ferrosi Hoody, based on the TGO review for £63, and I ordered the ME Kinesis for cooler days. I found some pictures of the Black Diamond Alpine Start and despite my love of Schoeller fabrics that really is just a lightweight windshell with somewhat mixed reviews.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

One budget price option for a stretch woven light soft shell is the Decathlon Forclaz 600 light.

Hmmm... that looks interesting; I hadn't seen it before, and I've not seen it in stores (just checked: it's not in any UK stores).

I've been using a different Quechua soft shell jacket a lot recently, the 'Soft Spread' (typical Decathlon weird name). It's a light stretch woven shell, but with a grid of hexagonal tufted insulation. It's very similar to a Rab VR Flex in function, but has the advantage of having a hood and pockets. I feared the tufting might wear off, but it's not showing any signs of that yet. I got it in clearance for £28.

It got mistaken for Arc'teryx the other day...

‹bermensch

Initiate

Reference the post from Captain Paranoia I first saw a Forclaz 600 light, in the "Sale" section of the Decathlon store in Stockport. It was size Large with no price or bar code shown. I looked it up on the Quechua internet site when I got home and placed an order over the web for an XL, my usual Quechua/Decathlon size, and it was delivered via UPS to a local collection point last week I have yet to try it out. I often find that the Decathlon UK website has items on it that are not stocked in my local shop

I own a OR Ferosi jacket and can therefore vouch for the fact that the fabric used seems similar.

When I searched for it, the first hit was for an old version. This may be what you saw in clearance.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-...d_8242789.html

Here's the current version:

http://www.quechua.co.uk/forclaz-600...ack-id_8355668

The fabric on the side panels of the Soft Spread is identical to the fabric on the side panels of the VR Flex... Just as the fabric of the Simond Mountaineering Trousers is identical to the fabric of the Rab Exodus jacket...

This is how to write an outstanding national honor society essay. Nothing complicated by the way!