Thread: OSM maps to Orgeon 650

Goon

I am trying to sort out a new Garmin Oregon 650 for a mate. It came with OS 1:50, 000 maps plus the base maps stuff which is to vague.

For cycling OSM map are fine. Is it possible to put these on the GPS but not keep them on the SD card?

Also, today we both used a GPX route that I created. Mine was fine ( Garmin Edge 800) his stopped with a message about to many way points. The Oregon seems to show and count WP's, mine doesn't. We were about 3 miles into a ride and I had created a ride that at this point had used 5 or 6 clicks on Bikehike.

What are we missing here?

That is needed for the OS maps and only one slot exists. Loads other other question as well but two at a time.

Widdler

It is possible but not recommended to put OSM maps on the intetnsl storage. Better put it on SD card just in case a corrupt card can crash your device.

I'm not familiair with bikehike so cant tell what happened there, maybe you've tried to read a track as route.

Goon

Ta. Using a SD is a pain as I can't use 2 at a time and the OS maps are using 1. Swapping to zoom in won't be handy.

Bike hike just runs like all thre other Navnsoft ware. Not using a track as it was self created online and transfered. It ran perfectly in my Edge 800. Its all about incompetence when using the 650

Widdler

Too many waypoints with a route made of five clicks seems to me it is exported as a track, not as a route. Handling a track as were it a route with your Oregon makes no sense. Edge handles tracks and routes differently, and there they call it a course which is something in between. I agree it all seems not logical, dont know why Garmin invented this crap.

If there is not enough room to store another map I suggest to buy a bigger card and put those maps on it, or is it copy protected? Of course you can use OSM maps on the internal memory of your device at your own risk. Only if it gets stuck it will be more difficult to reboot it. So just in case I recommend to put it on SD cards.

Goon

OS maps on the locked Garmin SD, not sure about adding OSM to that one.

I see what you mean about it looking like a track. That makes sense,.

Its most definitely not a track I am taking from the web based planner to my pc. I am duplicating everything with my Edge 800 and that's working as a course. I wonder if its being stored in the wrong place when I transfer it?

Can't actually see where to send it to on the Oregon section of the dropdown on my PC.

On the Edge 800 its goes to new files.

Any ideas?

Goon

Its showing up in the routes section of the Oregon but not in the tracks section.

Hmm

Just tried to plan a 25 mile road route. Stops about 5 miles out but has tons of WP shown. Grr

Widdler

I fear that bikehike routes are not compatible with your device. Better create routes with Garmin Basecamp in combination with my own bicycle maps,I'm the designer of Openfietsmap. You can download it on garmin.openstreetmap.nl or openfietsmap.nl (whole Europe).

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Edge handles tracks and routes differently, and there they call it a course which is something in between. I agree it all seems not logical, dont know why Garmin invented this crap.

My understanding of the GARMIN tracks/routes nonsense is that tracks are intended for recorded GPS tracks, that can be replayed, whereas routes are intended for manual route planning. Some planning tools allow you the choice of track/route export when creating GPX files.

GPSBabel may well allow you to convert between tracks and routes.

WheresThePath will 'thin' long GPX files (decimating the track points by some factor), e.g. a recorded track using 1 second data capture. You can then save the thinned GPX file.