Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working out a pace card for 1:40k Harveys Mps

Mini Goon

It wasnt a pointless question. It enabled me to work out my paces on a 1:40k map.

Pointless analogy though.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Yes, the sum is correct. But it's a bit ungainly.

You walk 54 paces per 100m. So 540 paces per km.

On a 1:40k map, a km is 25mm. So you can simplify the arithmetic to a single multiplication, using a different scaling factor

paces = map_mm * 540 / 25, or

paces = map_mm * 21.6, or, approximating,

paces = map_mm * 22

In your example, where you've measured 6mm,

paces = 6 * 22 =132 paces.

Given the accuracy with which you can measure the distance on the map (at best, 0.5mm), this scale factor is good enough.

Or why not make or buy a 1:40k romer scale... Then you can measure 100m multiples directly, and not have to do the arithmetic...

I could modify my vernier romer/portland plotter/slope measurer/ruler tool to generate a 1:40k tool, I suppose; currently it only does 1:25k and 1:50k. In theory, it ought be be a simple scaling, which will give a smaller tool. I'd have to set the contour interval to 15m used by Harveys. Hmmm... Looks like I expect the map scale to be either 50k or 25k, and it won't allow arbitrary scales. Shame...

Mini Goon

Yep it was ungainly, thats why i asked, and Matt gave me the answer. Ive got a 1:40k scale on a silva romer. Although, Ive just ordered one of those a-z booklet atlas's today by the OS, so I may end up just taking that.

Blimey.

I just use the romer on my Silva type 4 to measure sub1km 'paceable'distances. ( it has 1:40000 as well as 1:250000).
    No need for anything more. Then paces are calculated on the hop. (I'm also 54 on flattish very easy terrain going upwards as it gets harder going).

I'd contest the notion that paces are equivalently accurate to timing for micronav. and for "macronav" paces not really necessary. ( if they are, it becomes micronav?)

Initiate
    Pointless because the calculation is so ungainly you'll never use it in practice.

CP...the technical office of an old employer drew me up romer scales in 1:25, 1:50 and 1:40 which I just copied onto photocopiable OHP film. Yes, one depends on the accuracy of the printer and of the copier, but they work for me. Want one? Come to that, HW, want one?

I write PostScript to create various romers and navigation tools. I have lots of them...

You can download some of them here:

http://micronavigation.com/forum/index.php?topic=565.0

I think there's some code for a basic romer on a thread here, that I wrote for Dick some years ago.

Initiate
    Hi CP..can you send me the pdf of the slope angle romer - looks neat.

as for this Postscript thing...errrr...how does it work...do I need to copy and past the code into something?

as for this Postscript thing...errrr...how does it work

See the instructions in the link in the post above yours.

Or download GhostScript & GSView. Or The GIMP.

The advantage of PostScript is that you can tailor the tools to your needs, rather than the fixed versions in the PDFs.

There are some examples of the slope 'romer' in the navtool.pdf on the MNF thread.

Or send me a PM with your email address.

But if, you don't need /want to tailor the .ps file, no need for GS view etc - you can use an online . ps to pdf converter and save/print the pdf.

Initiate
    thing is...I have no idea what a postscript file is..or how to use it...

what do you do with it...copy and paste it..where? Sorry CP...it just looks like so much gobbledigook to me...I am afraid I am one of those people who have no idea (and dont really want to know) how programmes work, just want to know what buttons to press in the right order...so words of one syllable please.

Tried using the conversion thingy...copied the code into a word doc, sent to printer, saved as printer file and....nothing

▄bermensch

GoF:

You have my sympathy because I react in exactly the same way!

I'm a dirty Macintosh man and use a cheap Canon Pixma 282 all-in-one printer. When I press the on-screen 'Print' button there appears a drop-down menu (mine is headed 'PDF'). Open this menu and you are given a number of options including 'Save as PDF' and 'Save as 'Postscript' ('PS'). On my set-up, as soon as I open a Postscript file it always makes a copy of the document in PDF format.

Hope that this helps. If it does not, suggest you send a post to the forum giving details of your computer and printer and someone much cleverer that me will provide an answer!

PostScript is gobbledegook: it's an obscure, postfix-notation graphics scripting language. But, if written appropriately, it can be used to create images that can be modified by naïve users, by simply modifying some numerical parameters in the code. In the case of the romer code, there are some simple values, clearly identified with a big, BOLD header, that will control the romer created.

Don't paste into Word: that has its own, hideously complex file format used for creating WYSIWYG documents. This will add all sorts of extraneous gobbledegook to the file that will prevent the PostScript printer from seeing the PostScript program.

Like any other program code, paste the PostScript text into a simple plain text editor, such as Notepad, and save it as a file with a .ps extension. Make sure the text editor doesn't add a .txt extension as well (e.g. file.ps.txt); if it does, use rename to remove the .txt extension, and accept/ignore the warning about this making the file unusable.

Then, if you install Ghostscript and GSView, if you double click on the .ps file, it will open the document, just like any file with a file extension association (e.g. .doc & Word, .xls & Excel, .ppt and Powerpoint, etc).

Initiate
    ah ha..I feel so much better now...I can still recognize gobbledegook..

I'll have a go at that later...when Ive had a coffee...and a paracetamol...