Thread: Another sleeping bag thread

Widdler

Hello all,

Sorry for another sleeping bag related question. I was about to pull the trigger on a Western Mountaineering Lynx sleeping bag rated at -24 for Scottish winter camping cost £620. I know its very warm but I previouslytried a ME Snowline Sl bag rated to -20 and I couldn't get warm at temperatures between -4 and -9. I think I was probably to fat and compressed the down to much for it to loft.

Anyway I was going for the WM as I was told it would fit the chunkier gentleman when I happened across the Tundra brand of bags. For the price of the WM bag I could buy2 Pure Tundra bags rated at -5 and - 30 that would suit year round use(thought I better go for the lower rating after my ME bag experience). From what I've managed to research so far they seem pretty decent and are quite roomy. There based in Britain and manufactured in Poland and use ethically sourced down. The fill power is silly high 880 and 96/4 down / feather....any feed back from users of these products would help,alsoarethe specs to good to be trueI'd appreciate your thoughts.

‹bermensch

The Tundra bags have a pretty good reputation, although I've never used one. But rather than get two, why not get the -5 rated one at first and see how you get on with it during our warmer months before splashing out on a -30 bag, which seems way overkill to me. Or, if you're willing to splash out more than £600 on a bag, get PHD to make you one to your specs.

Widdler

Hi Guy,

I just thought I could get both for the price of the WM bag but I think your suggestion is wiser. The experience with the ME bag has made me think as I get older as well as wider i'm feeling the cold more hence thinking about the -30 bag but the -20 model might be good enough. I used the ME bag at -4 in a tent and I was freezing even though it was rated to -20 comfort.I looked at PHD I have a 51 inch chest and 53 inches around the shoulders, they told me I needed the extra wide in the Hispar 600 rated to -21 this pushes the price up to £664+ postage. I tried the build your bag tool on the website but it was very pricey £700 +. Thanks again for the input really helpful

It might be worth looiing at a WM Alpine light and then layering a 40f quilt over it such as Enlightened Equipment Prodigy. It would be much the same weight as the Lynx.

Just remembered that As Tucas make synthetic quilts also.

Have a Tundra pure and dry -10C (600g of down). True to rating for me. Very roomy (I'd prefer it less wide, but my other half loves it - she likes to spread out). Very well made.

WM will be better but cost more

Goon

There is a Kifaru Bag on Ebay right now, that should fit your size needs.

WM are great bags, I had the Antelope MF. Moved onto quilts now though, as more versitile, you crush any down you lay on anyway, and a decent exped winter mat would mean a quilt or combo quilts would cover all seasons perhaps?

Widdler

Thanks for the pointers i'll have a think about your suggestions, hadn't considered quilts before, good to hear a + review for Tundra. I did email Tundra andI got avery helpful response from Chris who will send me a bag to try for size. I will need to give them a depositof course butI cant say fairer than that.

I have purchased two Tundra Pure -5 sleeping bags recently and I'm not satisfied with the product. They are not filled properly and full of cold spots. Absolutely not usable at temperatures near zero c. Tundra have been very unhelpful in solving this issue. Basically ignoring my complaint. I would discourage anyone from buying this product. Spend a few extra bucks and go for a proper brand and don't buy online but at your local outdoor shop so that you know what you get.

Initiate
    the trouble with s/bags---even with the ratings to guide you---is they are very subjective---i know i sleep cold so have to overspec my bags----have got 2 winter bags---1 down 1 synthetic both -20c comfort rated ---used them to -10 comfortably---could probably take them a bit lower and be fine but if i was ever out at - 20 i think i would be pretty miserable----------------------tobias ---it would be great to try out in a shop if you could find one with a huge range of high end bags -----if i had to buy another bag i would buy on the net----go outside (its around 0c ) lay it down on something clean and give it a test---you have got 14 days to send it back if its not warm enogh

Goon
    What about you sleeping pad?