Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: Guide To Survival Kits and Bushcraft Aids

Mini Goon

Sorry, but both the linked articles are incredibly weak and the items chosen pretty random; I'll resist the temptation to explain why as it could turn into a rant. I thought this might be a (bad) early April Fools' joke at first, but if it is serious the tone and content reflect very poorly on the company involved and OutdoorsMagic itself. Buck up, people!

It would be a joke, were it not for the money that is parted with to buy vast amounts of comparative tat presented as good gear, and the inadequacy posing as expertise, that does precious little to make anyone as prepared or as much a bush-crafter as they'd like to believe.

With these inadequate articles as an inadequate guide, it's no wonder that the inadequate prevails.

A poor offering to see within the pages of OM in my view.

Initiate
    TBH, guys I am kind of relaxed..because

this article is sponsored by a cadet supplies company so is (in my view) aimed at a group of 16 (or younger) year olds..yes, its tat, but kids love tat.

secondly, whilst I am puzzled as to why such an article is here its pretty harmless except to the reputation of the writer (and it must have taken all of 10 minutes to write).

Finally, it made me laugh...mini hammock...dangerous to sleep on the floor...since when in the UK?

That would be the people in mini hammocks falling on top of one perhaps GoF!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Not sure actually either really that they should be suggesting a knife as being a good self defence weapon in these times of experience of high knife crime! That is not good in my opinion.
    Trevor DC Gamble

I have now upon giving this further thought suggested to the site moderator that the part suggesting about a knife being used as a self defence weapon be removed forthwith from this main outdoor survival article for legal and safety reasons. Would you ever see Ray Mears or any other reputable bushcraft school/expert in survival skills outdoors suggest the use of a knife as a weapon of self defence? Oh no! Most definitely not! A survival knife is a tool for survival, and should not be taught as being a weapon!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Mini Goon

Very true; better still delete the whole embarrassing mess!

Lol Ted!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Isn't snaring illegal ( it's obviously a stupid idea).

How do we request this stupid article to be pulled?

Widdler
    The last thing we need is a load of cadets leaving snares around the place.

You can train with setting snares in the UK, but must remove them by law afterwards. In a pure survival situation in a true wilderness area they are allowable of course!
    Trevor DC Gamble

The whole article is so amateurish it is a tad embarrassing for any seasoned bushcrafters seeing it on here! Genuinely cringe worthy I do feel!

All this aside, I would really love to know why this particular article author of this basic beginnners bit on Bushcraft Survival, as Ray Mears calls the subject, thought it was a good idea to include that medical use of a knife that is a favourite of Hollywood wilderness setting films. Being the use of a heated knife blade in a fire, pressed against an open bleeding wound, to sear seal the wound closed by cauterisation to stop the blood loss? This is not in any way a basic survival skills technique! Not by any means or ways at all. You simply would not employ this technique unless you were way out in back of beyond, weeks far away from basic medical aid. It is a true deep wilderness, last ditch medical technique! It is straight out of films like Pierce Brosnan's Seraphim Falls, The original Rambo First Blood movie, and the last remake of Rooster Cogburn! It isnot in most outdoors wilderness medical manuals even! It is however in the last ditch medical bible of the US Army Special Forces Green Berets medical manual. Seems an odd thing to appear in a bit written on beginners bushcraft and outdoors survival on OM therefore!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor DC Gamble View Post

The whole article is so amateurish it is a tad embarrassing for any seasoned bushcrafters seeing it on here! Genuinely cringe worthy I do feel!

All this aside, I would really love to know why this particular article author of this basic beginnners bit on Bushcraft Survival, as Ray Mears calls the subject, thought it was a good idea to include that medical use of a knife that is a favourite of Hollywood wilderness setting films?

Being the use of a heated knife blade in a fire, pressed against an open bleeding wound, to sear seal the OPEN wound closed by cauterisation to stop the blood loss? This is not in any way a basic survival skills technique! Not by any means or ways at all. You simply would not employ this technique unless you were way out in back of beyond, weeks far away from basic medical aid. It is a true deep wilderness, last ditch medical technique!

http://www.nh-tems.com/documents/Man...l_Handbook.pdf

http://fas.org/irp/doddir/milmed/

Trevor DC Gamble

http://themedicinejournal.com/articl...d-really-work/

http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/bl...uterize-wound/

So, you see that actually far from being a good stand alone reliable technique for outdoors survival one can actually do oneself quite a lot of harm by trying this! If you are lucky you will not end up with a nasty wound infection that could easily give you blood poisoning, leading to organ failiure and untimely death in the wilds! So thus not really such a good survival outdoors basic technique at all there folks! Thus too perhaps of course similarly, if the article writer was actually a real Survival Skills Expert, instead of just claiming to be one, I should think that they would know all this kinda stuff!
    Trevor DC Gamble

And note the advice to learn the Morse code SOS. Nope- the international alpine distress code is 6 blasts/flashes/whatever.

Yes, exactly I noticed that one too, lol. And that signal for whistle blasts is different for the United States too as well. We got a UK outdoors site to correct itself on that in 2010ish, as they had the US whistle blast ratio instead of the UK one! Oops!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Must say I chuckled at the apocalypse reference. Presumably not a nuclear one where none of the advice would be any use! Sorry but I think this is possibly the most random and ill-thought out article I've seen on OM!

Amen to that one, zero! First time I read it my mind was most certainly boggled!
    Trevor DC Gamble