Thread: Brecon Beacons

Mini Goon

Can anyone recommend a two day/one night (wild camping) walk in the Brecon Beacons. If possible I would like to try and combine Pen y Fan and Fan Frycheiniog or Sugar Loaf. Although wondering if this might not be possible.

I would be coming from London via train toMerthyr Tydfil, as it is considerably cheaper than going to Abergavenny.

Thanks.

ps. This is a bit of early planning for April/May.

Hi Earl.

Unless you eat up the miles for breakfast you're going to struggle to get both Pen y Fan and Fan Brycheiniong into one overnighter from Merthyr, especially if you're dependent on public transport and have to do a loop.

If you're walking from Merthyr you could do a decent loop going up the Taff Trail to Torpantau, taking in all the peaks of the central escarpment,then either descending to lower Neuadd Reservoir and then retracing your tracks to Merthyr, or descending to Pont ar Daf and taking the arm of the Taff Trail that follows the Taff Fawr and A470 back to Merthyr.

Loops are for cars

Presuming I've got the right place, Fan Frycheiniog does look quite a way distant W of Merthyr on the map and not really much useful by way of buses.

Sugar loaf would be fairly easy though - there are seemingly buses back from Abergavenny to Merthyr, so just do a linear walk and use those.

Also buses from Merthyr to Brecon which might save a chunk of walking.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

Hi Earl.

Unless you eat up the miles for breakfast you're going to struggle to get both Pen y Fan and Fan Brycheiniong into one overnighter from Merthyr, especially if you're dependent on public transport and have to do a loop.

If you're walking from Merthyr you could do a decent loop going up the Taff Trail to Torpantau, taking in all the peaks of the central escarpment,then either descending to lower Neuadd Reservoir and then retracing your tracks to Merthyr, or descending to Pont ar Daf and taking the arm of the Taff Trail that follows the Taff Fawr and A470 back to Merthyr.
    Thanks, I got the impression that Pen y Fan - Fan Brycheiniong didn't look particularly feasible for an overnighter as you say. It doesn't necessarily have to be a loop walk, just needs to have public transport access to Merthyr at the end so I can get back to London. I will look in to the options you suggested, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carpenter View Post

Loops are for cars

Presuming I've got the right place, Fan Frycheiniog does look quite a way distant W of Merthyr on the map and not really much useful by way of buses.

Sugar loaf would be fairly easy though - there are seemingly buses back from Abergavenny to Merthyr, so just do a linear walk and use those.

Also buses from Merthyr to Brecon which might save a chunk of walking.
    Martin, thanks, I think you do have the right places and agree! The only issue with adding an extra layer of public transport such as buses is incorporating timings along with train times, and let's be honest British public transport isn't exactly the most reliant service in the world!

Not sure if taking the Merthyr Brecon bus makes much sense as Pen y Fan seems to be almost equidistant between the two.

Well you'd do it to get different walking on the second day

Sometimes you can have lots of time in hand if you're camping. If you're up with the dawn at 7am or whatever it is, you'll be finished relatively early too. Sunday buses can be entirely rubbish of course!

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carpenter View Post

Well you'd do it to get different walking on the second day

Sometimes you can have lots of time in hand if you're camping. If you're up with the dawn at 7am or whatever it is, you'll be finished relatively early too. Sunday buses can be entirely rubbish of course!
    Sorry Martin, misunderstood what you meant before, thought you were saying to take the bus to Brecon and walk from/to there.

Ok It does also seem to stop at points between Merthyr and Brecon, which might save you a few crucial miles if the schedule is tight.

Mini Goon

Thanks for the advice on the Pen y Fan options. Can anyone suggest anything similar for:

Sugar Loaf (I believeAbergavenny is the best train station) and

Fan Frycheiniog (I am assuming train toMerthyr Tydfil and then bus to somewhere?)

You could try walk below starts at hay on wye which has good bus routes.

http://v-g.me.uk/Trips/T0832/T0832.htm