Thread: Where to find good walking conditions in UK now

Widdler

Hello

I am new on here and hoping you can help.

I am planning a one day hike with a good friend next week. We are both fairly experienced / fit walkers with decent gear. We will be travelling from London the night before so want to limit the travel but still find somewhere sufficiently wild toclear the head!

Possibilities include the Brecons, Dartmoor, Peak District and the Lakes. If we went to the Lakes though, we would to choose somewhere reasonably accessible from transport. Would prefer to travel by train but would bring a car if absolutely necessary.

The real question is where would we find the best walking conditions? I imagine many of the low areas are water logged and many of the peaks are covered in snow. Can anyone help??

Thank you very much indeed
    David

The waterlogging isn't so bad - no nowhere is dry but still - and the snow is rather coming and going because its so warm for February. Tops of the Lakes maybe getting a bit to settle. Check lake district weatherline for some idea there.

(Will likely need winter gear etc for the tops of higher things.).

Mostly, I'd go with where ever the weather forecast is halfway reasonable!

The lakes is fine by train - run through to Windermere then options. Buses to Ambleside say. The peak district is rather closer. Yorkshire Dales down the Settle/Carlisle line of course.

Travelling from London by train, it is possible to get to the usual suspect northern and western National Park hill areas about lunchtime - but for some of these railheads, you wll still have a bit of a walk, or bus ride beforeyou actually set foot on the hill.

It gets dark about 5pm at this time of year. Either you'll be walking extensively in the dark, or your walking 'day' will be short, if you travel that far. And don't forget you'll still have somehow to get home.

I would consider something much closer to London. North/South Downs or Chilterns, or Sussex Coast. It will be muddy though.

Widdler

planning to go up the night before so can get a full day's walk in

‹bermensch

I remember (but not in detail) my first weekend away walking. I got a train to a stop near Ingleton. I then had a walk of at least 3 miles (I think) in the darkto get to the hostel for a Xmas break. Over the next few days I tried walking over Ingleborough and Whernside(?). Weather wasn't the best so I wasn't very successful but it was still a great time with some real characters staying at the hostel.

Another possibility is getting the train to Betws-y-Coed and staying there or seeing if there's transport to Capel Curig.

Weather not looking good for the early part of next week.Windy, wet and er ... windy.

Mini Goon

Iam exploring the beacons at the minute theres a great western follows the coast jump of anywhere between Cardiff and Llanelli bus the few miles north into the park

black mountains will be the closest for you .

Banned

For easy train links - I would have thought the Peak District would be a good bet.

About 4 hours by train to Edale/Heathersage area.

Would give you direct access to the Pennine Way and the Limestone Way.

Jacobs Ladder, Kinder Scout, Mam Tor, Derwent Water & Edge, etc. - All pretty classic stuff and varied so easy enough to make it up as you go depending on the weather.

Should be possible to do a circular route between stations.

Widdler

Was up at Ambleside last weekend and Monday. What was Storm Henry. Almost Northern lights in the evening. Very wet and muddy everywhere. They have had serious flooding. Roads are still closed and washed away. Still plenty to get to, high up just got to windy, hail, sleet, fog came and went. Just stay put till you can see again? Wind chill is a danger as always, withdrew to tree level, shops and Costa. Journey back lorries blown over signs down. Still a great time had by all.