Thread: Talkback: Best New Gear Winter 2016 - ISPO Show Special

You know I saw a few Norrona alpha vests in Ellis Brigham that didn't have a liner fabric and wondered what on earth that was about Must have been an early experiment in this.

Suppose it does prove what Alpha is though - just a slightly fancy thermal pro variant. In that case removing the liner fabric does of course represent a quite significant triumph for common sense/utility over fashion.
    (Wonder how the stuff is attached to the outer fabric?).

Hi Jon.
    Are those New Expedition jackets in the picture? The front one looks like it has a dog sledding shield sewn in?
    Cheers
    Rhodri

Maybe should point out I was looking at the Fjallraven tent image!

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh-wizard View Post
    Hi Jon. Are those New Expedition jackets in the picture? The front one looks like it has a dog sledding shield sewn in? Cheers Rhodri
    Could be wrong but it looks to me like new colourways of existing jackets. A Polar Parka in foreground and a Polar Guide Parka hanging on the wall.

I'll see if I can check with Fjalllraven - sorry, I was a little focussed on the tent at the time.

Right, sorry for the delay, I'm told:

'The front jacket is the Fjällräven Polar Parka in a new UN Blue/Burnt Orange colour-way. The one hanging on the back wall is a new colour-way of the Polar Guide Parka, again in UN Blue/ Burnt Orange.'

So there you go

Jon/Gordon14.

Many thanks.

John Staffs
    Hmm, I bet I could achieve the same cold-weather performance and 'wicking' capabilities etc. etc. by using the Power-Grid top and wind-shirt / light softshell I already own in combination or, for greater versatility, separately! Alpha is a waste of time (and money) if you already have the aforementioned items, which I guess most experienced outdoor types do.
    All-in-one garments like this - think Paramo, anything using lined softshell fabrics where a shell is attached to a thermal / wicking liner have a major drawback in their compromised versatility. Once they get too hot to wear you're stuck with them as you're probably wearing just a base-layer beneath which likely won't be sufficient by itself.
    Alpha is too warm for me for active use in UK conditions and too bulky to be considered packable. 'Hybrid' garments don't match the versatility of the above - mentioned top/wind-shirt combo.