Thread: Walking Group Route Ideas

Mini Goon

Hi all - I've recently started a walking group at work and I'm looking for some ideas/inspiration on routes to tackle over the coming months. There is a fairly broad range of fitness level with the group so I'm starting on routes with little to no climbing, roughly 10 miles or so in length, with a view to building towards more challenging walks as the year progresses. We are based in Livingston, Scotland and, as transport isn't an issue, I'm open to suggestions all over Scotland.

To date we've done Loch Ard, Loch Venachar and the Almondell Country park route. All were well received although the the 14 mile Loch Venachar circuit probably pushed some of the group towards their current limit.....

All ideas and suggestions most welcome

Can't help with the walk suggestions, Gary, but well done on starting the walking group - great idea and best of luck with it!

There are some Scottish OMers, so hopefully they'll be along to give you some advice!

Rather a long way but the Cairngorms do have the most lovely low level walking. As probably does any other native forests

Falls of the Clyde/Clyde walkway much closer and seems an obvious sort of thought.

‹bermensch

It's many years since I've been to this particular group of hills, but how about the Campsie Fells, just to the north of Glasgow? They're mostly very gentle, and there are a few short loops with very little ascent, from what I remember. Or maybe the area around Loch Katrine, in the Trossachs, which is a lovely part of the world, and also close to Glasgow. I seem to remember doing a very pleasant walk by the loch when my son was just a few years old and had to be carried most of the way. I know you said distance was not a factor, but you might as well start close to home.

Mini Goon

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I spent one of the best weekends of my life camping off the summit of Ben Macdui in the Cairngorms - hadn't really considered the low level walks in that neck of the woods.

the Trossachs is an area I know reasonably well - indeed, the Lochs Vencachar and Ard walks are both in the Trossachs. lovely part of Scotland.

Thanks all.....and thanks for the well wishes Kate