Thread: Southwest Coast Path Camping

Widdler

Hi all!

I'm coming to the UK in March to hike the SWCP and am curious about wild camping. I understand its illegal along most of the path, but most, if not all, of the sites and guidebooks and blogs are full of people who have done it and advise to merely pitch late, leave early in the morning and not leave a trace behind.

The weather doesn't scare me (I've camped in worst than what the UK has to offer , so I'm wondering if anyone here can validate those claims?

Also, incredibly excited to finally make it over the the UK and would love more path recommendations!

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Maysen Forbes View Post

I'm wondering if anyone here can validate those claims?

Yes... wild camping is illegal... but...

Yes... lots of people do it... pitching late and leaving early.

It's all about keeping a low profile, keeping quiet, and not trashing the place. If you can't be seen, then for all intents and purposes you don't exist and there isn't a problem. The worst that could happen is that you'd be asked to pack up and leave.

Widdler

Excellent, that's what I was hoping to hear!

I'm really hoping to spend some nights in campsites, but at the pace I'll be moving at in the beginning I'm just not sure that I'll make it from campsite-campsite in 1 day (as the guidebooks say I should).

Thank you!

There are a few stretches where campsites are thin on the ground, but most of the time you'd be passing two, three or more each day. Of course, in March, some of them might not be open.

‹bermensch

+1 for what Paddy says.

I've done the northern coast toLands End and wild campednearly all ofit. If you are havingan evening meal in a pub don't be afraid to ask about camping in the pub garden. Can cost a £5 but well worth it andyou might be able to join them for a paid breakfast.

I have done a few coastal paths and find that there is lots of livestock so treating water is not alwaysthe preferred option. Ioften get water at toilets, cafes, pubs even asked at farms.

Banned

Good advice from Paddy above.

The southern section of the path has more official campsites than the section from Lands End on to Minehead. Keep a low profile and you'll be fine. The pitch late leave early routine is solid advice.

I'd say pitching wild makes the path all the more interesting. Being in your shelter late at night as weather comes in off the sea is exhilarating. Makes you appreciate the wild nature of the SWCP, especially in the exposed to the sea areas in north Cornwall and the top of Devon from Bude (Cornwall) past Hartland and beyond.

In the high tourist season there are plenty of places to stock up on nosh in beach stalls and the like, but in March I couldn't vouch for them being open.