Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OM Members' Code of Conduct

Super Moderator

Happy New Year everyone, hope there's still a few resolutions intact! We're just dropping in to discuss the Member's Code of Conduct on OM and to reiterate our guidelines ‚?? something we haven't touched on recently.

Of course, we don't want any members to feel they're under a strict regime, it's not a dictatorship! We'd like OMers to remember that everyone is human, with feelings, and it's the diversity of opinions and beliefs that can make for interesting debate and discussion. Choose the threads most appropriate for you, get involved, have your say - but do so in a pleasant and civilised manner.

Below are the Code of Conduct guidelines so anyone posting in the forum understands what is expected of them. We have a collective responsibility to ensure the forum remains an open and friendly community.

-----------------------------------------------------

Members' code of conduct

Welcome to the OUTDOORSmagic forum. Generally speaking we're a friendly bunch who welcome new members and have a laugh at the same time as having lively debates. The forum is a resource for all members and to keep it a useful and friendly place forum users have suggested some guidelines:

Please don't:

Swear. It can be offensive and it can also mean that some members can't use the site from work. If you really must use swear words please use asterisks.

Be abusive or make personal attacks. If you wouldn't say something to someone's face then it doesn't belong on the forum.

Impersonate other members deceitfully.

Hijack and wilfully destroy threads. The forum's a big place and thread titles and descriptions are there to help you filter what you're interested in, so please let more serious threads run broadly on topic.

Try to sell equipment. There's a classifieds section on the site for selling your stuff, please don't annoy other members by trying to flog it on the forum.

If you repeatedly disregard these guidelines then, after a warning, you may well be barred. If we receive several complaints about a particular member via the 'Report-to-Moderator' page on the forum then that member may also be barred.

-----------------------------------------------------

So, yes, we all have a love for the outdoors with opinions on just about everything, but this doesn't give us permission to voice them in a personal or offensive manner ‚?? we need to be considerate and it's our duty as OM forum users to maintain a friendly environment. As someone recently said, by all means question the post but not the poster.

We hope that makes sense, but if there's any follow-up questions then don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks and happy 2016!

Cheers,
    Ed Greenland
    OM Staff Writer

Don't Be abusive or make personal attacks., Oh well, best not call Skip " an old F*rt then " , especially when he walks past you .

( Waves to Skip )

Has the CoC just been cut and pasted from an old post without being read and updated?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Greenland View Post

Try to sell equipment. There's a classifieds section on the site for selling your stuff, please don't annoy other members by trying to flog it on the forum.
    The 'classifieds section on the site' is an ancient relic.

Most Selling goes on via the forum?

If one accesses the forum via 'Latest Posts' as I know many do, then the selling posts are often annoying members, as they are sometimes the dominant traffic.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Greenland View Post

Members' code of conduct

Welcome to the OUTDOORSmagic forum. Generally speaking we're a friendly bunch who welcome new members and have a laugh at the same time as having lively debates. The forum is a resource for all members and to keep it a useful and friendly place forum users have suggested some guidelines:

Please don't:

Swear. It can be offensive and it can also mean that some members can't use the site from work. If you really must use swear words please use asterisks.

Be abusive or make personal attacks. If you wouldn't say something to someone's face then it doesn't belong on the forum.
    There are some threads where that's the norm, and totally accepted. Perhaps some form of disclaimer should be added to them.

As for the classifieds appearing in latests posts I totally agree, but seem to recall this being raised numerous times

Initiate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a category when posting in the forum of "classified"?Doesn't this make it appear in the forum? If there is a separate area, can someone point me to it please, as I've never seen it!

Initiate

There's a classifieds section in the forums. The 6 ads on page one of the latest posts. All in the classifieds section in the forums. Is there another classifieds section?

As I said it's an ancient relic. It was a non forum part of OM until the last revamp.

People were using forum posts to sell more than the classifieds section, so after a year or 3 of that, they put a classifieds category in the forum.

5 + years ago?

(If you click 'shopping' on the OM tabs bar above, there is a link to classifieds. It now leads to the forum classifieds, but in the old days, it went to the old original classifieds section. )

‹bermensch

Aye - those guidelines are from 2007. Classified was as clunky as hell.

Initiate

I don't object to people selling things, but it would be nice if I could filter them out of the Latest Posts. There is at least one person whose only posts are various items for sale. I don't particularly object to that. However, from OM's POV if you are using the forums as a shop front, it would be reasonable for them to charge you commission.

Hmmm... the irony of people selling Paramo AND Goretex on this forum, without expressing an opinion one way or the other!

If the Code of Conduct is going to get a bit of an update...

Would it be a good idea to include something specific about 'dealing with trolls' - i.e. people who go out of their way to cause offence, waste people's time, stir up trouble, piss folk off and generally disrupt the forum?

Although he/she's not been around (as far as I'm aware) for a while, I'm thinking of the likes of Alex, who turns up under various guises and always gets nasty.

If OM's 'policy' is to delete known trolls as soon as they appear, might it be a good idea to say so in the code of conduct?

Include advice along the lines of - Trolls thrive on attention. If you suspect someone, better to 'ignore' them and alert the mods.

With reference to classifieds and latest posts, there's been a lot of discussion in the past, including this thread in 2014

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/s...rum/61843.html

and .....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Doran View Post

Evening. I've asked for people effectively to have the option of being able to view classifieds as part of the latest posts view or choose not to.

The bigger picture is that we have a classified section to the forum purely as a free service to folk using the site. It replaced the original classifieds system which in classic Magicalia fashion was somewhat over-complicated and hard to use.

Predictably I can't tell you how long it might take to get that done.

If it is still on somebody's 'to do' list, I guess it's way down at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander rae View Post

... best not call Skip " an old F*rt then "....

( Waves to Skip )

Hullo AR, hope all's well with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    Ed Greenland wrote (see)

(don't)...

Swear...please use asterisks.

Be abusive or make personal attacks
    There are some threads where that's the norm, and totally accepted. [/QUOTE]

Exactly so, Chewie.

In fact it was the reliably outspoken, sometimes witty, usually caustic, discourse that attracted me to OM. That and the liberal use of f*ck, tawt and Cnut as terms of endearment.

Under Jon's excellent stewardship, this forum has benefited from very light-touch moderation. Let us fervently hope that continues. The forum seems to have managed without reference to that proscriptive and vaguely patronising 'code of conduct' for the five or six years I've been registered - the 'code' may have been in the background but I never saw it. Now it's popped up (or, depending on your point of view, been thrust in our faces) presumably in response to a recent thread and Jon's move.

Let's all be nice to everyone. Is that what we want? Let's make the forum anondyne, colourless, inoffensive, meek and mild. That sound good? Let's all be agreeable, personable, charming, amiable, friendly. Err, why? There are people - quite a lot of people - on here whom I regard as friends but there are others I regard as idiots or as a*rseholes. I try to avoid the latter but I reserve the right not to be dragooned into an enforced and prescribed (and there wholly insincere) affability if I do respond to what they post. The quid pro quo is I expect to be shot down if I post bollox or offend people.

People are not always affable. People are not always polite. People can be abrasive. That's how it is. Ed Greenland wrote (see)

(don't) Try to sell equipment.... [/QUOTE]

Eh? Then why is there a topic called Classifieds Section ?

As others have said, if you are going to revive a zombiecode of conduct at least edit it to reflect the current situation.

On the subject of adverts, yes, it annoys people when 'Latest Posts' gets over-run by classifieds but for many of us that's not as irritating as the multiple links, multiple sequential posts, and multiple threads issue that precipitated the resurection of the 'code of conduct' and this debate.

The 'classifieds section on the site' is an ancient relic. [/QUOTE]

So are some of us members

I agree with MoS - if we are going to have more active moderation a good start would be actively zapping trolls as soon as they raise their heads. And spammers too, come to that.

Hi Skip , just passing through, nice day up here with frost first thing and blue sky overhead,

Things to do, toodle pip .

Initiate
    To be honest,

whilst the code of conduct seems sensible, for me its soo out of date as to be almost laughable - and indicates how low on the radar this forum is for the owner/operators is.

As for trolls...what about some sort of moderation of people joining...to stop the trolls/spammers in the first place?

GoF, I think it's tricky blocking serial trolls/spammers who don't use a static IP address.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar

Let's be honest this forum has seen it's best days. I know it sounds a bit "when I were a lad..." but a lot of us used this forum in the pre-social media era as a place to chat and arrange regular meets as well as to get advice on gear etc. Sadly it's now dying a slow death for a variety of reasons...mainly I suspect because a lot of us now use Facebook to keep in touch with the very good friends we've made through OM but also because there are actually some better websites/forums out there.

Initiate
    Ah...fair point MoS..hadnt thought of that.

and another fair point AT..in one guise or another I've been around here for knocking on 10 years at a guess..but have yet to succumb to bookieface thingy.

The bit on swearing is interesting. The appalling state of the aite made it unusable at work.

the forum has been pretty well self moderating with Jon only stepping in when absolutely needs.

people have different opinions and express those opinions in their own way. The word troll has, like so many other words, become so misused on other sites so as to be useless and is wildly thrown around just because someone disagrees with you or points out you are a moron Aka wrong.

i agree with AT that this site has slowly gone down hill, mostly as a result of OM's wilful and deliberate non-maintenance and intrusive adverts - one was only pulled after I emailed every other advertiser telling them that the mindless pop-up (subject to a myriad of complaints) was deleterious to the money they were paying the site. OM learned nothing and did nothing to stop the farrago. Instead they just fill the page up with ads so the actual content becomes smaller and difficult to access (whose left brain at home made review multi-page horrors). The technological fact the world has changed and access by mobile devices is prevalent has bypassed OM. The site remains a mess.

so enough of that rant...

other social media is so much easier to use.

Yeah... the days of 'Friends Reunited' are over!