Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Spine Race - with live tracking

It's tough in the Cheviots, and I did a round of the hills in midwinter many years ago.

Eoin is flying, now approaching The Schil. Pavel seems to have gone astray, judging by his tracking stats. He came off the Pennine Way at Chew Green, and was a couple of miles on his way towards Barrowburn before doubling back. He's still not on the route after hours of wandering about. However, he should bump into the safety team soon.

Two competitors back near Hadrian's Wall are too close to call. There are quite a few in the valley either side of Alston. One guy spent the night in Greg's Hut on Cross Fell, while a couple of others appear to have bivvied on Knock Fell. Most of the rest are around Dufton, but a few are still in Upper Teesdale.

It's going to be cold, but sunny, according to the forecast.

He might be finishing within hours, looks like Pavel is back on track now but some way behind.

It must have been an intensely frustrating night for Pavel. In effect, he ended up covering 9 miles of the route in 9 hours... and he must have added at least 6 miles in detours. Still... he's about 35 miles ahead of Peter Wilkie... who still has a long way to go before he's assured of third place. Matt Neile is only 3 miles behind, so they could be jostling for position towards the end.

Eoin finished in 95┬╝ hours... Edale to Kirk Yetholm... including time spent eating and sleeping. (He did it faster last year, but came in second after Pavel.) This time, Pavel is only half-way across the Cheviots, so he'll be a while yet. The next two competitors in line are such a long way back that it will be dark before they even reach the Cheviots.

Interestingly, the bulk of competitors are now all stretched out between Dufton and Cross Fell. Only a few of them are covering the route on their own. Most of them are in pairs or small groups, no doubt keeping each other going.

I'm guessing that Javed Bhatti and Luke Latimer had a cold and sleepless night on Knock Fell. That's based on their tracking, which suggests that they're possibly catching up on sleep at Greg's Hut. Meanwhile, on the other side of Cross Fell, a foursome are making good progress and might well end up passing them.

Initiate
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post

Thanks Paddy, have been dropping in to look at live tracking but your commentary brings it to life.
    Yes, thanks for this Paddy .

Last years times not truly comparable to this - fairly sure that I saw on the website that they got some non trivial bonus rest when they held the race back due to what must have been some truly awful weather. That then, being enforced, got knocked off their total race time.

Astonishing efforts from anyone finishing, let alone the winners.

I think Pavel still has about 9 miles to go just to make second place.

If Peter Wilkie is going to make third place... he still has 43 miles to go... which probably means a night-time traverse of the Cheviots.

Not far left for Pavel now Big winning margin in the end but I guess once it was obvious he couldn't catch up it must have got impossibly hard for Pavel to keep pushing himself quite so hard.

Matt Neale in fourth is a bit inspiring at 52.

Yes - Thanks Paddy - Your commentary has been excellent - as has this extraordinary feat of endurance that has been shown by the competitors - Tremendous effort by all involved..

Pavel has just finished in second place... 5 hours behind Eoin.

The Cheviots are now completely empty of race competitors. Peter, who looks like he is going to finish third, is still making his way to Byrness. If he doesn't launch straight onto the hills, then he might end up sleeping overnight before making a daytime traverse tomorrow.

At the tail-end of the race, a few entrants are on their way over Cross Fell, and a few more look as though they are going to be traversing Cross Fell in the dark tonight. It wouldn't surprise me if some of them bed down for the night later at Greg's Hut.

There are several entrants at the checkpoint near Alston, and they might bed down for the night, or press on towards Hadrian's Wall in the dark. It's a case of wait and see what the tracking system reveals.

A handful of entrants are straggled along Hadrian's Wall, and if they don't bivvy for the night, then presumably they'll continue in the dark towards Bellingham.

It looks as though Peter Wilkie is on his way to take third place. He's heading into the Cheviots tonight, and the nearest competitors behind him are about 17 miles away. I'm guessing he'll probably use one of the shelters on the tops for a bit of sleep, and finish some time tomorrow. At the rear of the line, the last few competitors are making their way onto Cross Fell for a night-time traverse.

Chapeau!

I'd like to see their gear lists.

Ed... yeah... it would be interesting to as what they were carrying. Presumably, stuff that's tough enough for midwinter conditions, but light enough to alike them to move at speed.

Third place went to Peter Wilkie at 4am, while we were all tucked into our warm beds.

Clearly somehow enough to stay out overnight for some period too, if not comfortably.

If I count right they seem to be on track to get just over half the entrants completing (30 withdrawals, 39 still going.).

The Cheviots seem to be covered in snow from top to bottom now. The only competitor currently out there is Matt Neale, who is bunkered down in the shelter hut near Lamb Hill. There are three others at Byrness, who might will make a bid to complete the route today. There are just a few folk dotted back along the route, with the bulk of competitors stretched out between Alston and Greenhead.

I wonder if everyone thinks they are hallucinating when reach the first farm near Kirk Yetholm. A big 'Tunnocks' trailer has been parked there for years, and it's enough to get the food fantasies into overdrive!

They've forecast a bit of snow here in Worcestershire, so I guess it's very cold and white up in the Cheviots.

I've earmarked your guide book Paddy, in my younger years I fancied doing the pennine walk but now it finding time to get fit enough and actually do it. I'm thinking of Glyndwr's way as that 's closer, shorter and on my turf so to speak. The Pennines will have to wait.

Good to see the 3 ladies are still out there.

Taz... by all accounts the Cheviots are cold and covered in snow. I'll be overhauling my Pennine Way guidebook this summer, and a new edition should be published before the summer of 2017.

Matt Neale has just finished fourth, and there won't be anyone else finishing tonight. Three competitors have been bunkered down in the shelter hut near Lamb Hill for a few hours, so I don't expect them to continue until tomorrow, and no doubt all three will finish. It looks as though a couple more will overnight at Byrness. Bellingham is going to be the main overnight stop for the bulk of the remaining competitors, and there are still quite a few strung out along Hadrian's Wall to Greenhead. I expect some of them might keep walking, while others will bivvy somewhere for the night.

Meant to say: "in my younger years I fancied doing the pennine walk, but now it's hard finding time to get fit enough and actually do it."