Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spine Race - with live tracking

Sensational endurance - I'm having trouble getting my head round how this is even humanly possible....

I know... and at this point in the game, with severe sleep deprivation, it's not unusual to get fleeting hallucinations too!

I watched on the tracking site as Eoin Keith made it to the Alston checkpoint, where he's remained static ever since, presumably getting a few hours sleep. Meanwhile, Pavel Paloncy and Eugeni Roselli Sole overshot the checkpoint and had to double back, losing precious time. They're currently two hours behind Eoin Keith, and it looks as though they've also bedded down for the night.

The nearest Brit is apparently a long way back at Cauldron Snout, but I suspect that there's something wrong with the tracking signal in that area. When each of the three earlier runners passed through that area, their signal traces simply stopped, then reappeared again as if by magic miles further along the route. So, although Peter Wilkie looks like he's stopped at Cauldron Snout, for all I know he might be well on his way towards High Cup.

Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

An amazing feat of endurance, it's great to see the pics and read the race updates.

Suppose the leaders (on the wall already) are due to finish today?!!? Wow.

Really don't envy anyone tackling the North pennines today one bit -http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/w...cast/gcwppqqh5

Yuck!

They've implemented a diversion round Caudron snout caused by persistent high water levels freezing those bits of rock to ice.

I'm not sure what the three leaders are capable of... but they might end up tackling the Cheviots tonight. Eoin is already clear of Hadrian's Wall, and Pavel and Eugeni will be finished with it soon. The next in line are still short of summitting Cross Fell. Everyone else is lined up between Tan Hill and Upper Teesdale. For the record, Tan Hill to Hadrian's Wall is a week's walk for someone like me!

The tracking system keeps blacking out whenever anyone approaches Cauldron Snout. Maybe it's some kind of 'Bermuda Triangle' out there!

Think Pavel/Eoin might very well finish it today - Pavel has seemingly set off in whatever sort of pursuit can be managed after such a battering, and they're at Bellingham now (13:50), so I imagine Byrness a bit before sunset.

Well... Pavel was two hours behind Eoin yesterday... but he's now registering as just under one hour behind. I guess it depends on who's prepared to go fastest, and do without sleep the most, in the final dash across the Cheviots. It might even end up as a photo finish. I'm guessing Eugeni is another hour behind at this stage. The nearest Brit, Peter Wilkie, is way back at Alston. A mere handful are poised to tackle Cross Fell in the dark. A few are making their way through Teesdale, while the bulk of them are straggled across Stainmore.

There's definitely a blackspot in the tracking system at Cauldron Snout. Everyone who gets there registers as having stopped dead in their tracks... then after an hour or so... they suddenly appear 4 miles away crossing the bridge over Maize Beck!

Interesting strategy going on...

While Pavel and Eugeni took a break at Bellingham for a couple of hours rest, Eoin decided to press on and make the most of the dwindling daylight. As a result, he's about 12 miles ahead of the other two, racing down an easy forest track to Byrness. The other two are faced with a rugged stretch of boggy moorland in the dark, which is bound to slow them down. Eoin could afford to take a couple of hours rest at Byrness, but he might press on over the Cheviots. There's a horrible bog after the first ascent into the Cheviots, but most of the rest of the Pennine Way is easy enough... provided his navigation stays true.

Peter Wilkie is over 30 miles behind Pavel and Eugeni. A couple of runners even further back look like they've taken a break at Greg's Hut on Cross Fell. There are quite a few scattered throughout Teesdale, and a few have yet to reach Middleton-in-Teesdale, where a lot of competitors seem to be sleeping overnight.

I cannot imagine not sleeping for so long and jogging across that terrain doing those distances.

Most endurance and ultra-distance runners have stories to tell about sleep deprivation induced hallucinations. Sometimes, the hallucinations are just bizarre, but I guess it's always a dangerous state to be in, because if you're no longer seeing reality ahead of you, then what's to stop you running into a hole, a wall, or over a cliff?

Eoin looks like he's taking a rest at Byrness. He can afford to, as he's well ahead in terms of time and distance. His two chasers are on a stretch of moorland that isn't a nice place to be at night, so it's going to take them a while to catch him up... if they manage it at all!

Its very wet here and cold also, must be hellish up on the moors.

Thanks Paddy, have been dropping in to look at live tracking but your commentary brings it to life.

I'm just combining looking at the live tracking with what I know about the route. Pavel and Eugeni are still hacking across the moor, with the worst bit yet to come before they can speed up on the forest track down to Byrness. They're 8 miles from Eoin, and closing. Hopefully, Eoin will wake up and get cracking before they catch him.

Peter Wilkie has only just reached Hadrian's Wall. Matt Neile is currently in 5th place, just leaving Alston, where he's had a really long sleep. There are a couple more on the move towards Alston. Apart from two competitors high on Cross Fell, and one at Dufton, almost everyone else is straggled out through Teesdale.

Shock Horror!

It looks as though Eugeni has left the race... now apparently heading off-route by road at some speed... suggesting a pick-up by a car. That leaves only Eoin and Pavel in front, with Peter now in third place a long way back, and Matt now in fourth place just north of Alston.

Edited to add... Eugeni was picked up by the medical team. Hope he's not in too bad a shape.

I'm not surprised, but a real shame for the lad. Eoin is still resting it seems.

I was just looking at the latest video of the event. The front-runners look absolutely wrecked, and they've still got the whole of the Cheviots to cross. I hope they get through safely. Pavel has an unpleasant hour to go over Brownrigg Head, before he hits the easy forest track to Byrness. Eoin seems to be asleep, but if he wakes up soon and is still in good form, then he could win the race.

Eoin is on the move again... and that means he's not only rested... but he also has a 5 mile lead over Pavel.

I have no idea what things will look like when I check again in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post

... they've still got the whole of the Cheviots to cross....
    IIRC it's nearly thirty miles from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm. After the comparative shelter through the plantations up to Chew Green, that border ridge becomes a bleak and forbidding place and very exposed to the weather - I've walked a lot of it ( mostly in good conditions I must confess).

The forecast is for snow on the hills tonight and quite a bit of wind. In the early hours it will be a bit drier then frosty by dawn.

Rather them than me!