Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Spine Race - with live tracking

I just realised that the Spine Race will be starting tomorrow, 9th January, and live tracking of the participants is available.

The Spine Race involves running the Pennine Way in a week, in miserable winter weather... and they don't all make it.

I'll be watching from the comfort of my armchair, cheering on the pack and commiserating with anyone who has to finish early.

I know... I'm being a softy... but I promise to walk the Pennine Way this summer, once the weather cheers up, and I'll give it as much as three weeks!

Linkety-links... The Spine Race ... Live Tracking

A real mercy they're not going to be trying to do this in that succession of massive storms from December! Wonder if anyone could possibly have finished?

Still won't be remotely easy of course.

All the 'Challenge' entrants are currently spread out between Kinder Downfall and Bleaklow.

The 'Race' entrants will be starting in the next few minutes.

The weather seems to be reasonable at the moment, but with rain forecast later, and something of a freeze later in the week.

It's been dark for a few hours (8.30pm), and a small group of runners are fast approaching Cowling. It takes me four days to reach that point when I walk the Pennine Way!

Most of them have stayed bang on course during the day, but a couple went astray on Bleaklow, and a couple more went wrong on Standedge.

Thanks for sharing this Paddy, I would like to walk it one day but running any of it is out of my league.

I've no problem walking the Pennine Way, but if I tried to run out of Edale, I'd probably need rescuing before I reached Jacob's Ladder. Just not made for running!

Meanwhile... the first 'Challenge' runners have reached Hawes, which is where they finish. It's only taken them a day, a night and a morning. It takes me a week to get that far.

The 'Race' runners will start to pass through Hawes soon, and they'll continue to the end of the Pennine Way.

Thanks for the heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Carpenter View Post

A real mercy they're not going to be trying to do this in that succession of massive storms from December! Wonder if anyone could possibly have finished?

Still won't be remotely easy of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Dillon View Post

All the 'Challenge' entrants are currently spread out between Kinder Downfall and Bleaklow.

The 'Race' entrants will be starting in the next few minutes.

The weather seems to be reasonable at the moment, but with rain forecast later, and something of a freeze later in the week.

It might be dry at the moment, but the High Peak (at least) is as wet as I have seen it. There were streams running off the top of Combs Edge, where I haven't seen them before, and the fields were very slippery for fell shoes.

The wind has been pretty strong too.

It's dark again now... so that's their second night non-stop along the Pennine Way. The three lead runners are just on the summit of Great Shunner Fell, north of Hawes. Their nearest competitors are way back at Horton-in-Ribblesdale, with the most southerly entrants way back at Cowling.

Have to remember that they've at least got big sections of paving slabs to use, so the fact that the dark peak (and Dales!) bogs are pretty well underwater isn't quite so awful. Not that I can imagine it helping

One possible terror would be a cold snap freezing all the water on the paths/slabs to ice. Ugggggh.

That cold snap is on its way!

The three leading runners are literally minutes away from the Tan Hill Inn and its blazing fire. Alternatively, they could keep running across the dark, boggy Sleightholme Moor. Everyone else else is a long way back, at Hawes.

Enjoying your updates, Paddy - keep 'em coming please.

Seems that sanity might have been proved the better part of valour. Rather sane I fancy - no paving slabs for those leaders from here on in, so the ground underfoot could be really quite 'interesting' out on Stainmore. Maybe it'll freeze overnight for them

Things have changed at the front of the race. The leading three were basically running together, but Irishman Eoin Keith is now two or three miles ahead of the other two in Upper Teesdale. At least they get to see the waterfalls in daylight. The next runners are a long way back... just four of them between Hawes and Keld. Everyone else is spread out between Hawes and Malham Tarn. The list of retired runners is growing.

There's a video showing what conditions are like...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=992837144137314&theater

Lovely! It was actually quite nice in Manchester yesterday but clearly the forecasts were right about further north in the dales....

That trail off Pen y Ghent with the endless slush looks like it was truly horrible.

The 'Race' entrants, who are going to cover the whole of the Pennine Way, are stretched out over a distance of about 70 miles. The three leaders are about 25 miles ahead of the next runner in line. I'd love to know what conditions are like over Cross Fell, and whether any of them will be able to get over it in daylight.

Surely the leaders will from here?

Looks a good idea to get over there today if possible. The Met office has this afternoons weather up there as almost pleasant, Tuesday's pretty awful and then a joyful mix of a lot of snow and hill fog awaiting any stragglers on Wednesday.

Looks like a lot sticking in Hawes for the night A long way to Tan Hill I guess so it makes sense. Wonder if the leaders are going to make it past Hadrian's wall?

Eoin Keith has just reached the summit of Cross Fell, so he'll be able to make use of a clear track all the way down to Garrigill in the dark. His chasers... Pavel Paloncy and Eugenie Rossello Sole, have just reached the summit of Knock Fell, so they have the highest parts of the Pennine Way to do in the dark, with snow underfoot.

The next two competitors, both Brits, are way back at Middleton-in-Teesdale. There are only a few competitors stretched back as far as Hawes, with the bulk of them still straggled out between Hawes and Horton-in-Ribblesdale.

It will be interesting to see what happens during the night.