Thread: Climbing Yushan in Taiwan

My wife and I are going to Taiwan and we are (nearly) booked to climb Yushan, via Paiyun Lodge. It is supposed to be non-technical, just a walk up, really. Can anyone advise on weather and clothing? We are going in late December.

Any advice gratefully received.

Might be something on this place, it certainly rings a few bells anyways, on the Lonely Planet travellers forum online. The LP forum is at the Thorn Tree.com ok.
    Trevor DC Gamble

‹bermensch
    I've just googled that and there's loads of info' available.

Thank you TG. I'll have a look there.

It looks likely to be clear & cold, with lying snow this time of year. Most people go in the autumn so it may be relatively quiet. That's what I've gleaned from the internet searches.

Widdler

Never been to Yushan. Inlow- latitude area, mountain climatevary substantially across different height. You'd better take your overcoat .

Hi there,

I was in Taiwan a few years ago. Didn't manage to get to Yushan as the permits go really quickly but did walk the Y Holy Ridge trail which was great and the Vertical trail in Taroko Gorge. The food is great and I loved the night markets. oyster omelette anybody...

Well, this is what we found at Yushan in December.

The weather was sunny throughout our 2 days. Lovely walking, with the path moving from subtropical forest through temperate on day 1. Then up beyond the tree line in day 2. Very windy at the top, and about freezing point so down jackets useful there - not many chances to wear down in Taiwan!
    the first night we stayed in the hostel where the road stops. Then set off for an approx 5 hour walk to the top hostel. You don't get on the route without police permit etc, and you need to pre-book your party in at the top hostel. (Least comfortable hostel in the world!)
    we started for the top at about 4.30 am, to get to the summit about dawn. We were too early, so were cold. It is a bit of a scramble to the top, but with stout chain handholds. The views at the top were great.

then down again.

Very frirndly people on the trail. Mostly Taiwanese, and some other nationalities too. Yushan is a big deal for the locals - they love it.
    we were a bit affected by the altitude as it is a bit under 4000 m at the top.

all in all, highly recommended. In January it gets rainy lower down & snowy at the top I think, so it can be an altogether different experience. There are loads of other mountains in Taiwan. Access to Yushan is tightly controlled so you need to pre-book which we found pretty tortuous.

i hope this belated trip report is helpful for someone. We had a great time!
    Last edited by Majorcatastrophe; 17-03-2017 at 09:28 PM.

I was in Taiwan in April , 7 years ago. Great weather, low 20's, warm at night, but got cooler up in the hills and damp too. Quite a few torrential downpours though, and some thunder storms. Some great beaches down south.
    Very hot in the cities late in April.

We are planning to go (me and my wife) in late June to go Taiwan for climbing there are lot of mountain climatevary substantially across different height.
    Any advice gratefully received.