Thread: Nevada elk hunt

Goon

I got a tag for cow elk (Wapiti) in northern Nevada so I drove 8 1/2 hours north from Las Vegas to the Jarbridge Wilderness Area up against the Idaho border. Very rugged, high (3,000 meters avg.) and no roads. Fine with me. That means no damn quad ATVs running around scaring the game.

Anyhow... I ended up car camping out of my Prius V (wagon) at the trailhead. So I used my EXOS 58 lightweight pack for carrying extra clothes, lunch, butchering gear, 1st aid kit and rifle for about 30 lbs. (Rifle carried vertically, in a Kifaru"Gunslinger" butt sling on the waist belt and barrel QR buckle wrap for the barrel on the right shoulder strap.)

I intended to use the EXOS pack to carry out boned elk quarters and backstraps (think filet mignon) and the legally required top of the skull. That would get up to about 30 Kg. max. PER TRIP. About 3 trips back to the car would be enough to get all the meat packed out. The pack's high strength aluminum tubing perimeter frame can handle it even though it's way over its load rating.

Alas, I could not get a shot off at the10 cow elk I spooked as I crested a peak the 2nd of five days of hunting.

"Wait 'til next year!"

Widdler

I am glad the Elk got away to live its life in peace.

agreed!

Yes and No.

Elk need to be culled.

As do deer.

My hunting days are over.

Gear for hunting is not really a UK forum topic that will attract involved interest though Eric - ire it will attract

Goon

So... Richard and Steve are vegans?

BTW, I thought there was still hunting in Scotland, at least. Is that wrong?

Initiate

hunting in GB is expensive---you can shoot pheasants near me for £1500 per day----------you can shoot deer in scotland on privately owned estates usually as part of a package with accomodation and a ghillie to accompany you ----not cheap---------------------if i had the money i would n t hunt----as an ex commercial fisherman i have done my share of killing-------------however i am not against hunting

It is hunting for the fun and the pure adrenaline thrill of the hunting experience that most UK citizens, many generations of whom had previously felt enjoyable, now find particularly unpalatably unsettling Eric. All to do with a different generation having got the thrill of the hunt idea out of their systems for the most part. So while it is necessary often to cull animal numbers for various reasons, we are still more and more very much a generation today of animal lovers, you know. Which of course means we like to look at the meat packed in the supermarket isles with a disconnect from an animal actually having died, to allow us to rat and exist. In a recent study, vegans aside, interestingly most vegetarians admitted to having eaten some meat following the consumption of alcohol.
    Trevor DC Gamble

More than that here perhaps, it is the open discussion on an outdoors forum of firearms usage that most European souls would consider somewhat odd, or off topic maybe here.
    Apologies for above typo courtesy of my smart phone predictive text no doubt. It should have said eat and not rat!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Opinion and cant are not fact or representation....

Goon

Well, at 72, and still skiing, hunting, sea kayaking and backpacking, I'm from a generation that grew up with hunting. I lived on a Pennsylvania farm with hunting in all seasons. In Pennsylvania the first Monday after Thanksgiving (1st Mon. in Nov.) all public schools were closed for the first day of buck season. That's the culture in which I was raised.

I butchered and ate both farm animals and game animals. I'm an unrepentant meat eater. And I think I respect life more for having taken it for food than having merely purchased meat in a market.

In online hunting forums you will find sections on backpack hunting. Light "mountain rifles" and light backpacking gear go hand-in-hand. And it really helps to have hunting companions who help each other carry out the meat and caped head.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, Eric but, due to the small size of our country and the fact that it is far more densely populated than the US, we simply don't have a mainstream hunting culture here. In addition, our draconian firearms laws effectively restrict shooting to a minority sport.

Although the forum title suggests that it covers all aspects of outdoor life, in practice it covers mostly hiking and backpacking.

More on topic, it's interesting to know that the Exos 58 can handle in excess of 30kg. I have one and find it a superb pack, although I never have had more than c12kg in mine.

yes i am! (vegan, that is) but even if i wasn't, i'd still find it distasteful.

It all makes for an intetresting thread to read on here, about an often overlooked crossover outdoors subject though perhaps.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post

Opinion and cant are not fact or representation....
    Would that not just be more opinion there though, surely?
    Trevor DC Gamble

Goon

For a non-hunting and (hopefully) less controversial post go to the gear thread where I've posted on using a titanium Caldera Cone for use with wood.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMat View Post

yes i am! (vegan, that is) but even if i wasn't, i'd still find it distasteful.
    Why? I, like most people, eat meat and accept that animals die in order for me to do so.

Eric is arguably far more honest than me in that he makes much more of an effort to personally shoot and butcher the meat that he eats.

Übermensch

Licenced hunting, killing & eating of wild animals where few natural predators remain can help prevent over-population & can increase welfare for the species concerned.

Breeding animals, even with high welfare standards, just to eat them has to be more morally questionable I reckon.

Bureaucracy aside I reckon Erics Elk steaks will be more in the natural order of things than how my pork sausages & bacon get in my pan.

Especially as a lot of our meat on the supermarkets shelves the other year turned out to be horse meat anyways.......At least if you kill it yourself then you can be sure what you are actually eating.
    Trevor DC Gamble

I've shot the odd small game for the pot, and used to buy deer of the rangers after the annual cull. As was stated above, hunting in the UK is very strictly regulated and to use a fire arm you need a permit (not easy to obtain).

I also own an exos (a second hand one that needed some tlc) and really like it for wild camping. A big change from the heavy packs we carried years ago.