Thread: Talkback: Millican's Fraser The Rucksack Is Out Now

Amazing build quality by the looks of the photos, and some nice colour choices too! I am in!
    Trevor DC Gamble

claims to be lightweight but no weights given :-/

reminds me of the old school satchel for some reason.
    Nice colours.

Widdler
    Its 1300gms, check the website for dimensions

I did but could not find, thanks.
    I actually really like them but not at that price, half that I would have one

Not wanting to knock your enthusiasm Trevor, or suggest anything amiss with the bags, but if you can really tell that the build quality is "amazing" from nothing but the pictures I'd be interested to know how you do it.

The "Bionic canvas" reads a bit like Macpac's well regarded AzTec polycotton, though of course the devil may turn out to be in the detail.

The article is effectively a recycled press release, which is fair enough as nothing more is claimed of it, but I'm rather wary of getting excited about what amounts to advertorial.

claims to be lightweight /Its 1300gms

A Lowe Eclipse 35 is 810 g, an OMM Classic 32 is 700 g, so "for some values of lightweight". I wouldn't expect either to be so bombproof, but my OMM32 is still doing fine after 10 years pretty regular use aside from the coating on the snowlock so it's not like they fall to pieces if you look at them the wrong way.

Pete.

Übermensch

It looks like quite a decent pack in a deliberately retro way, and isn't that much more expensive than some of the models from better known manufacturers. However, other offerings I've seen from this manufacturer haven't struck me as being of outstanding quality â?? ok, but not wonderful â?? and they all seemed expensive for what they were. I'm not saying it's bad or poor vfm, but I'd take a bit of convincing before I even thought of buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post

Not wanting to knock your enthusiasm Trevor, or suggest anything amiss with the bags, but if you can really tell that the build quality is "amazing" from nothing but the pictures I'd be interested to know how you do it.

The "Bionic canvas" reads a bit like Macpac's well regarded AzTec polycotton, though of course the devil may turn out to be in the detail.

The article is effectively a recycled press release, which is fair enough as nothing more is claimed of it, but I'm rather wary of getting excited about what amounts to advertorial.

claims to be lightweight /Its 1300gms

A Lowe Eclipse 35 is 810 g, an OMM Classic 32 is 700 g, so "for some values of lightweight". I wouldn't expect either to be so bombproof, but my OMM32 is still doing fine after 10 years pretty regular use aside from the coating on the snowlock so it's not like they fall to pieces if you look at them the wrong way.

Pete.
    Nope. Not x-ray vision or superhuman powers claimed there. More just an impression more generally from the sheer looks of it. All one can obviously get from a look see at a picture, and not the real bird in the hand, of course. Very retrospective look to it also adds to the impression of a lot of build for your money. Not I know of importance for a buyer looking for a lightest pack or anything I do realise.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble

Oh, and Pete, I think the price is a little diabolical there too really, but we are probably being asked to pay through the nose for this bags good eco footprint of manufacture, no doubt.
    Trevor DC Gamble

It's the company's own marketing shot, so it's not entirely surprising it looks good. Yes, minimising seams is a Good Thing, but what thread have they used, what's the stitch/distance count, have they used a binding tape etc... No way to tell from this.

Price tends to be what the builder thinks the market will bear. Check out the properly insane prices for fashion bags and that's pretty clear.

The grough page is pretty much the same as the OM one, a press release.

Pete.

Yes, a sort of syndicated bit of outdoors user friendly journalism pretty much. Would love to see a test of this item to see what the durability is really like!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Write and ask them if you can review / test one TDG.

Lol, I would do, but I think they would require a much better tester the me, by far and away Diddi. But I do hope someone as good as Chris Townsend, or Clive Tully, or our Jon here gets a hold of one of these bags to test out though definitely.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Mini Goon

I am midway through a test on Bionic canvas, as well as a number of other different pack materials (including 24 yr old Aztec from Macpac). The initial conclusion (& I have been using a Martindale wear tester rubbing machine) is that these materials far exceed what you get from regular nylon. I work on the Performance Sportswear Design course at FU & the experiment is to try and get answers in a world where marketing tends to obscure the facts. None of the materials we are using are suffering that much - untreated nylon, then treated nylon have produced the worst results so far

Interesting I have been in touch with Macpac's design team about testing their new materials & they have clammed up completely, having said that they are reluctant to let me investigate further - an odd stance to take as the original prompt for this test was my Pursuit which still performs after nearly 2 1/2 decades of use

Initial conclusions are pointing towards not the failing of the fabrics, but the poor design that they are used in. Things like having joining seams on wear edges & lower quality liners are producing the most dramatic problems. Design is more about what you leave out, than what you add. The value of an experienced designer is shown when you take the packs off the machines & into use

I have been using Finisterre's Ortlieb PU nylon project fabric, Trakke's waxed cotton, One Planet's Waterloc, Boreas's nylon & thermoplastic polyurethane materials, & a TNF norm (siliconised nylon), plus regular basic polyester & nylon in the same test. When we can write up I am sure the information will find its way to OM...

Thanks there Charles, excellent post to the thread. Looking very much forwards to hearing more too.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler

I've just taken delivery of a Fraser pack and first impressions are very positive. I'll take a few pictures etc in a few days once I've used it a couple of times but if anyone has any questions just give me a shout.

Widdler

Having done a few walks with the bag I've written a bit of a review on my blog (link in my sig) if anyone's interested. It's a bit rambling (badum-tish!) so be warned!

Is great! Me like!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Oooh, that is odd! The links to his blog seem now to have been removed so one cannot follow there to read that review he did anymore. A great pity really that is, I feel.
    Trevor DC Gamble