Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water filters

hey all, i've got a water filter which is the katadyn hiker, and i was just wondering whether anyone knows what the point of having this filter is...

let me explain, the item in question is a filter not a purifyer so according to the manual it doesn't filter all viruses jus organisms down to o.3 microns so what really is the point of it because you still need to use iodine or chlorine tablets to kill off potential viruses, but the tablets kill off all what the filter does and more so the filter then is only filtering sediment, still following?
    so whats the point? purifiers i can figure, they totally clear the water but cost alot! so whats the point in a filter when when it don't filter everything out? wish i woulda thought of this before i bought it!

any ideas

Nine months in Africa lead me to filter with my arab headscarfe and then iodine/puritabs.I did have A purfier but that died A death in god knows were.

Actually babe, it has a silver lining thingy to the ceramic bit (don't ask me to get technical, I'm blonde) which does kill all viruses. I used mine in Nepal where the water is literally full of shite, and was fine with no iodine or chlorine.

However, there is another filter if you are feeling a bit wary, which does say it filters out everyting on the box. Unfortunately, can't remember the make or name, but they sell it in Cotswold Outdoors in Keswick.

Any help??

are you sure thats the hiker? jus checked the katadyn web site and it says it does NOT remove viruses, it also says nothing about a silver lining thingy on the ceramic doo dah! (could sound rude! hehe)

and yours is defo the hiker? cos if it is and you've used it in nepal i really shouldn't worry cos you're still here! proof it works?

still if it hasn't got the silver thingy on the ceramic jobbie to wipe out the lil viruses like it says on the web site i'm back to the original whats the point question,

it does have a carbon filter tho but then all that would be doin if used in conjunction with iodine or chlorine is to make the filter into a £50 taste nuetralising machine, where really all you'd need do is add a nuetralising tablet to the now clean but iodine flavoured water to do the same job....

my head hurts

Well, if that's what the website say's who am I to argue, but as you say, I'm still here...

I believe that the quality of the water has a bearing on the treatment. Water contaminated with human waste should be boiled etc. Most filters will cope with micro-organisms, but viruses are too small to be caught.

Depends where you are and what's likely to be in the water. In Europe and most of North America I think, though you'll need to check this, Viruses aren't generally a problem. I think there was an article, perhaps by Mr Townsend in TGO a while ago that dealt with this, or maybe it's in his book.
    Filters catch bacteria and nasties like Giardia and Crypto. Check where you're going to see whether there's a virus problem.

I guess taste and convenience is one fator why people choose filters over tabs though.

This is useful background (I'm bored today as you can prolly tell).

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FA....htm#Filtering

nice one richie, that page is more than enough help in relation to... well everything to do with the 'orrible lil bugs in water! it would seem from that page that i'd be kinda alright as long as i don't filter water from all the obvious "no no" places like next to a slurry lagoon!

i'm really only looking at using it in mountainous areas of the u.k for now so i figure i should be okay just need to look out for suspect floating logs!

cheers guys!

There's an article in this month's Trail (yes some of us read it) about water filters which is very good. It compares them and indicates where and when they should be used.

Personally, in the mountains I'll drink out of most small streams, particularly at higher altitudes - not caught anything yet. Only place I won't is downstream of the CIC hut on Ben Nevis - nasty.....

why do people use iodine?

iodine makes the water taste foul + the jars it comes in with the wool stuffed in the top make it a bu**er to get out tabs when yer hands are two solid frozen lumps.

i use plain chlorine tabs (aquaclear) - still alive (debatable) and they truly are tasteless?

can anyone illuminate me?!

having re-read that i have decided that I need to go back to primary school. I think they teach you where question marks go don't they(?)

> can anyone illuminate me?!

I have a torch somewhere....

Iodine is also very harmful over extended periods. More than a week and you can make yourself very ill indeed.

that would help... can you shine it over this way a bit?

oh sorry, i forgot, petzl's dont reach down to devon

woops after accidently kicking my computer.. it is now making large noisy whirring sounds.. is this a good thing?!

I could use with diving torch. It's so powerful, you can only turn it on underwater or it melts the lens....

i want one! no make that: I WANT FIVE!

ummmm sounds good GET ME ONE! makes my 15 watt halogen vista bike light sound a bit girly, how long do the batteries last on that beastie?