Thread: Womens size 20 hiking jackets - options

Widdler

I need a hiking jacket for a trip to New Zealand in Jan/Feb 2016 - apart from being confused by all the types - one of the biggest problems seems to be finding it in Womens UK Size 20. Price isn't the determining factor just something which fits comfortably and isn't too heavy/bulky. Anyone recommend?

Initiate

You might want to tell us more about the kind of activities you'll be using it for and the conditions you expect. Will you be doing shorter, low-level walks, for example, or long walks in any condition? That will help us think of some examples for you.

I just searched on Cotswold and they seem to do 48 different womens waterproof jackets in a size 20. I'd recommend visiting the store and asking them to get them in to try, as sizing varies by manufacturer.

As Mike notes, what you'd be doing is a lot about what jacket would be good. Waterproof, just windproof, insulating or not, etc.

Sizes (and just as importantly shapes for those sizes) do vary from one make to another, so if you can try stuff on rather than assume "20" means it'll fit that's a good idea.

As just one example of a brand to try, Rohan say their ladies' XL fits sizes 18-20 and they list size 20 where they use specific dress sizes.

Pete.

Widdler

Thanks - I was looking at company websites based on best buy reviews so missed the more obvious when searching for sizes!

I am no more than an occasional infrequent hiker hence confusion about where to pitch a purchase. In NZ it seems like it will be sensible to take outdoor type clothes for shorter walks - max 5 miles on trails, something to keep warm and waterproof on cruise in fjord type overnight boat trip so windproof.

Hi Anne,

Have a look at Paramo, their jackets come in a variety of styles and colours. Worn by everyone from mountain rescue teams to ramblers and dog walkers.

The women's size seems to go up to an 18 but the original designs are a relaxed fit and I often hear of people needing to go down a size in Paramo.

My alta ll is still going strong, I used to wear it for day walks on Dartmoor, then passed it on to my daughter who still wears it for wet and windy weather.

There are lovers and haters of Paramo on this forum. Too warm, dated styles, odd colours ......... are some of the criticisms. But they are very breathable and comfortable to wear in my opinion....

..... a few bargains

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paramo-2nd...item58ccfaeb8a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paramo-2nd...item58ce07f0b7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paramo-2nd...item51a9bf52d8

Initiate

Seconding Paramo!

Widdler

Will explore Paramo - thanks

‹bermensch

Thirding Paramo. My wife is a size 18 and the jacket she has fits fine. They are inclined to be a generous fit.