Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffee On The Go, Anyone?

I guess it depends on how much importance you attach to decent coffee in the outdoors. Personally, I would never give an Aeropress pack room as it is too bulky. You also have the hassle of packing out used filter papers. I'm probably just a lazy sod - I use instant tea to avoid packing out used teabags.

Initiate

The azera stuff is much much better than other instants. Smells great and tasty black. I tend to add milk and sugar to bad tasting coffee, good stuff is black.

I have an Aeropress at work, it's a good thing. It makes good, strong coffee (assuming you have a decent raw material ground fine). It is relatively bulky, but if you have space (as I do if I'm travelling by boat) then it's good. You can actually clean and reuse the filters (I don't, but you can) if packing out dirty bothers you (on the one hand it's a minor faff, but if I'm packing out second-hand toilet paper it's not exactly a deal-breaker). It's easier to clean than a cafetiere, quicker, and can use much finer grounds.

If I'm slightly more pressed for weight/space I'll take an Ortlieb filter cone and some papers.

I prefer your Actual Coffee to anything instant, but if I do want to dispense with faff and want a coffee-a-like I take sachets of instant cappuccino. This holds a relationship to coffee a bit like white chocolate to chocolate: it has some common roots, doesn't really qualify as the Real Deal, but can be quite nice on its own terms anyway. Instant freeze-dried coffee, unlike Actual Coffee, is improved with milk, which opens up a whole other can of worms. Coffee-mate and similar is a Work Of Stan, real milk is a pain to keep when camping.

Pete.

Starbucks Via Italian Roast. That plus sugar and UHT milk sachets liberated from wherever I can find them.

I've got an Aeropress at home that I'd have no qualms carrying if the Via runs out. I get ground coffee once a fortnight from the folks at PACT. Some of that in a ziplock bag wouldn't be a hardship.

No way in Hell that I could go without coffee in the morning btw. Did it once. Never again.

Ed. try it at home. You'll be surprised. The crema forms when the coffee produces it - at just below boiling point. No idea where you get the idea that other cultures can't make coffee and want to boil the hell out of it. The French are the exception with the awful chicory.

‹bermensch

well I ordered it from Amazon on Saturday afternoon and arrived today, which I was gobsmacked by .

Pretty impressed with it's simplicity and I do think it makes better than tye cafetière

‹bermensch

Chewie, there's a wealth of info on YouTube regarding usage, including the 'upside-down' method!

Any chance you could do us all a mini review on here please Chewie, as to how you get on with it? It looks very good, I just wonder how much of the reviews is actually sales hype was all?
    Trevor DC Gamble

I just wonder how much of the reviews is actually sales hype was all?

Assuming you're using decent raw material it makes a cup of good coffee quickly and easily with minimal faff (including cleaning up afterwards). It doesn't make espresso, just good basic coffee (and there's nothing wrong with that). There's not much more to say.

At home I use a Saeco bean-to-cup espresso machine, but that isn't portable, needs cleaning once a week, more fully cleaning once a month and cost (even at better than half price) silly money. At work I'm happy to use the Aeropress (did bring an old Gaggia in, but the Aeropress is good enough that I've not yet got a Round Tuit to do anything more about it).

As someone who's been using one for a few years now I'm a bit puzzled by all the barista-hoopla about it, but it does what it's meant to with a minimum of fuss. Result.

Pete.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post

I just wonder how much of the reviews is actually sales hype was all?

As someone who's been using one for a few years now I'm a bit puzzled by all the barista-hoopla about it, but it does what it's meant to with a minimum of fuss. Result.

Pete.
    My niece is a Barrister in Oz, and it appears they are coffee snobs and she swears by them, hence why I got one. Its is really easy to clean as you say, and I think tastes better than the cafetiere. Just need to work out if I can get two cups out of it somehow, but its great just for me ( after all it's all about me me me )

I have a stove top perculator but its so much faff I might just bin it

Lovely! Sounds as though you have the right bit of kit for your needs there now then Chewie! Interesting to read earlier on that using cream in the coffee keeps it much warmer than if you make it just with plain milk! Dunno why it should make that much of a difference, but apparently it does do.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Interesting to read earlier on that using cream in the coffee keeps it much warmer than if you make it just with plain milk!

If it's decent coffee then one of those options ruins it, and the other one does too...

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post

Pete.
    Peter, have you had a problem with the rubber bung on the end of the plunger getting tighter in the bore of the chamber? I've had mine for a few years now andit's getting quite difficult to push the plunger down. I use a stainless steel mug for my coffee and that is just as well as the pressure required would reduce a chinacup to powder. I've actually just ordered a replacement bung, so I'll see how that goes.

Peter, have you had a problem with the rubber bung on the end of the plunger getting tighter in the bore of the chamber?

I haven't... but I had to replace it when I left the plunger in a bunkhouse a couple of years ago so while I've had one for quite a while (7 years?) the one I have now isn't original.

The newer one seems to have been fettled a bit in construction, the original exhibiting internal cracking in the main tube (never affected its performance, but I suspect would have died at some point) while the newer one hasn't shown any signs ofdoingthat. That suggests they've not just abandoned any development.

Pete.

‹bermensch

I've had my Aeropress for four or five years, during which period it's been used several times a week, and all parts are still functioning well.

Initiate

A mate has the GSI Commuter.

It works for him...

About 270g, makes around 450ml.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/commuter-javapress.html

(I drink instant in the bush...)

Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Darioli View Post

A mate has the GSI Commuter.

It works for him...

About 270g, makes around 450ml.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/commuter-javapress.html

(I drink instant in the bush...)
    GSI do some lovely outdoor cooking kit. I've got their polycarbonate cafetière and it is great for car camping.

https://www.theoutbound.com/articles...he-backcountry

Great article here.

Fab OM threads of the past upon this subject obviously close to a lot of your hearts, here below too!
    Trevor DC Gamble