Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee On The Go, Anyone?

Trevor DC Gamble

‹bermensch

A useful post,
    I was actually looking for one of these today

‹bermensch

Been using mine for years, would be lost without it. Don't expect proper espresso though (you don't get that lovely coffee-shop crema), it's a filter coffee maker that does a better job than a cafetiere press.

I think I got mine from Amazon.

This does itreally well...at a weight penalty...

Not for backpacking for me...

I've had an Aeropress for a couple of years. It replaced my office cafetière and, to be fair, it is a heck of a lot easier to clean than a cafetière. Thing is, the coffee it makes is exactly the same as that from a cafetière.

For some reason, the Aeropress has acquired a hipster following and is being absurdly praised by those idiots who seem determined to make coffee the new wine.

No-one would take an Aeropress backpacking.

Totally absurd for camping/backpacking use instant coffee. There's nothing wrong with decent instant coffee i.e. Gold Blend (if you can afford it!!). Ground coffee is nothing but snobbery the only reason I use it sometimes (at home!!) is because decent-ish ground coffee (bought online) is cheaper than decent instant coffee. Ground coffee is also a lot of faff and having to clean the damn thing out.

ground coffee is for the discerning...instant satisfies the toiling masses

‹bermensch
    Ground coffee is one of life's little luxuries.
    I wouldn't use it backpacking coffee bags do the job for that. It's for home when it's just me having one or maybe car camping..I like the look of the one you posted Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

No-one would take an Aeropress backpacking.
    Really? I've seen someone on the TGO with one. And an SLR with extra lenses, he was still carrying lighter than many backpackers I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by masterluke View Post

There's nothing wrong with decent instant coffee i.e. Gold Blend (if you can afford it!!).
    IYO

Instant and ground are 2 different drinks. Like the difference between John Smiths in a can and a pint of fresh Real Ale. I find many instants pretty poor inc Gold Blend. We use an 11g mug filter with tea leaves or coffee, while backpacking. No mess- just chuck the leaves/grounds to the 4 winds and leave to dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by edh View Post

ground coffee is for the discerning...instant satisfies the toiling masses
    never satisfied me

As an aside, is coffee served in cafes/bars taxed differently in various countries?

Moving between Spain and France a couple times recently we found the French charge double what the Spanish do, and sometimes for a poorer product - Spanish was consistently good everywhere.

The French are hung up on their wartime ersatz coffee with chicory in it. The Spanish have proper taste buds.

I think the VAT in Spain for restaurant stuff is lower than France.

bah humbug to silly machines. Add ground coffee to water. heat until a crema forms. Stir. Let settle for a bit. Decant (optional).

the comments by Harry on the review seem to be ooh newtoy isn'tnitmwonderful deluded.

I'd like a video of a crema forming by that method....I'm happy to be convinced.

Mini Goon
    I just make a 'cowboy coffee' - fresh coffee in the boiled water - no need to filter - just wait for coffee to settle at bottom of pan - gravity filtered!

Ed. Pour water in a saucepan. Add ground coffee. Apply heat. It's that difficult. Please feel free to video it if you like. The crema says it's ready.

If at first you don't succeed then you're doing it wrong. Can you boil milk without it sticking or burning on the saucepan.

coffee is made this way in the rest of the world that doesn't have, or want, machines and is no secret.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cezve#

Look at the crema on that...

‹bermensch

The Aeropress isn't a wonder machine, but it does make consistently good coffee with a minimum of faff. I particularly like the fact it's very easy to keep clean, so you don't get the bitter taste of previous brews.

But for backpacking I stick with coffee bags, which produce a very decent brew with no messing about.

I've gone the 'Turkish' route and find it too 'muddy' for my tastes - quite a crema though (if you like boiling the proverbial out of your coffee)

I use Via backpacking - if I bother at all.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Hurst View Post

The Aeropress isn't a wonder machine, but it does make consistently good coffee with a minimum of faff. I particularly like the fact it's very easy to keep clean, so you don't get the bitter taste of previous brews.
    Well summed-up.

For work, my flask, and for camping, I'm happy with Nescafe's Azera - surprisingly decent.

Which one Glyn?

since Tesco stopped stocking Via, I tried various 'wholebean instants' and sadly did a side by side taste test of 4. Kenco millicano , Azera 'intenso', Aldi own, and CarteNoir. The latter won hands down for me.

(we recently did a 16day trip where we took /used 200g of Co-Op 99 loose tea, with a mug filter and 80g of Carte Noir instant.)

‹bermensch

Azera 'Americano'.

...not keen on Kenco Millicano, have an almost-full tin in the cupboard for 'extreme emergencies'.

Mini Goon

Have been backpacking with an Aeropress for a year or so; nice durable design, plus you can store a good couple of hits of ground stuff in a freezer-bag inside the thing. Much nicer coffee (to my taste) than a cafetiere - tho' you have to play with fineness of ground: couldn't find what I wanted in shops so have a grinder set right for Aeropress use.

Has anyone tried the fairly lightweight Vietnamese s/steel filter/drips? Tried a cup once and it was good; but apparently needed specially imported coffee - took about five/six minutes to make.http://www.trung-nguyen-online.co.uk