Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproofs

Sorry if this is old ground but does anybody have experience of all of these fabrics? (eVENT/GoreTex/Paramo/Soft Shell.)

My GoreTex has no chance to keep up with my sweat but it is relatively old.

Have never tried anything else.

I run very hot and looking for maximum breathablity over warmth and weight etc.

I'm liking the look of paramo and eVENT - is event noticably better than gore?

alex

Do a search in t'interweb for tests done at Leeds Uni.

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Is eVent noticeably better than gore?

YES!

I have had a goretex jacket and got quite sweaty (this was the old style goretex, not any of the modern xcr/paclite etc versions).
    I have a ME softshell (microfleece/pertex) and find it windproof and showerproof but I get sweaty cos of the fleece, I think
    I also have a Rab eVent jacket, which I have never got hot and sweaty in unless wearing too many layers. When working hard, I find a wicking baselayer and the shell are perfect in cold/wet/windy weather.

I have never tried Paramo so can't comment, although from the look and feel of it it would be too hot *for me*

Generally I run v hot but rest v cold, so the eVent is perfect, and I pack a fleece etc for rest stops.

JJ.... can only find a small page that says fabrics dont work in the rain!

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/sports_scienc.../jcgretton.htm

I dont know whether to go super-breathable (soft-shell) route or compromise and go waterPROOF but less breathibility route with eVENT.

Done in school of textiles, not sports science. It is referred to often in Trial tests in issues in past year.

oh - cool thanks will have another look!

Hi there,

My own choice would be one of the waterproof options, rather than the soft-shell, assuming that you're making a "one or the other" choice. If you don't have a w/proof, you simply won't be able to go out on really grotty days, and you'll be v. uncomfortable, and risk hypothermia, if you're unexpectedly caught in a downpour.

I've been using a Goretex Paclite jacket and trousers for the last year or so, and I've been quite happy with it. I've rarely been particularly sweaty, even though I do run pretty hot, and I've never found it in the least like a poly bag...

Having said that, I'm also keen to try Paramo because I've read such great things about it. I've just bought a Velex Smock, and plan to try it out in Scotland this weekend :-)

If you run particularly hot then received wisdom is that Paramo may be too hot for you. Bear in mind, though, that they've quite recently reduced the weight by 25%, and I've read several reports of people saying it was fine when they were walking but that they now need an extra layer for stops. It may be, therefore, that Paramo would be fine.

If I were in your position I would actually go either for the eVent or for the Paramo; I've read great things about eVent too, which is why I'd want to give it a try if I was chosing between that and Goretex.

In the final analysis, you may find eVent or Goretex to be more versatile than Paramo if you're looking for something you can wear all year round. If you're looking for winter clothing, though, it's just a straight choice.

Good luck

Thanks..

Yes i have an adequate hard shell (a relatively old tnf gore tex or army issue gore tex. Chuckles... what quality kit i have!)

Yes it is either or at the moment.

If paramo is too hot i think ill steer clear for now.

eVENT is looking attractive... either that or just accept the hard shell i have and go for a soft shell.

eVENT is noticeably more breathable than Gore XCR or standard Gore and also, I think, more breathable than Paclite in sustained use.

Paramo's good, but may not suit you if you run hot.

There are so many soft shell fabrics that it's impossible to generalise about them. Generally they run along a continuum where the more windproof and water resistant they are, the less the breathability, so you need to decide whereabouts on that curve you need to be.

Sorry but you could write an article about this. In fact I did, it's somewhere in the gear section where we tested eVENT, Paclite and Paramo walking up the same hill, same speed in identical conditions.

Hello,

I have managed to try all the fabrics you mention and apart from features etc here's my views:

Paramo: very breathable, as good as it gets, though in late spring, Summer, early autumn it can get too clammy and heavy. Because the outer is polyester it can tear quite easily (especially the pants) however that doesnt neccassarily impair its waterproofness.

Paclite: As far as waterproof gore-tex is concerned then this is probably the most breathable. Having tried Event and Paclite then i would say Paclite is MORE breathable however its a more noisy fabric than Event and i would question its durability.

XCR: stronger than Paclite but less breathable and not as rattly (noisy) as Paclite. But heavier. This is a good all year fabric.

Event: Like Cara i have a Rab jacket made from this fabric, its the perfect 3 season waterproof for me, the only reason i dont wear it much in Winter is because of its short length plus i have other longer jackets. Its less noisy than paclite and even though i dont think its as breathable (not much in it) as paclite i am willing to forgo that for less noise!

Ill have a looksey for that jon, thanks.

I thought paclite was less breathable than xcr, just lighter...?

Soft shell in question would be tnf apex. I can get one fairly cheap i think.

oooh, i was barking up the wrong tree.

I shall now look at paclight in a new light!

thanks guys

gotta go and write an essay! woo don't we love creative writing?!

Paclite is more breathable than XCR, I think it works differently though because the inner scrim soaks up some excess moisture and acts as a buffering layer. One thing to be aware of is that Paclite is aimed at the lightweight market, so it won't be as durable as XCR or most eVENT fabrics. That doesn't mean it'll fall apart in six weeks, but it won't take kindly to being dragged over rocks or, in the longer terms, sustained use with a heavy pack, for example.

tiggered - i am currently using a TNF Apex 2, i will let u know how i get on, but at the moment i would say its not much better than a normal fleece! Its certainly more windproof and showerproof but i dont think its as warm as they claim.
    And under a shell i reckon it will be a pain.

‹bermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar
    Thing about Paramo... never seen it in any shops, otherwise would try on. Is it mail order only or something?

Polar Bear - Paramo is not in many shops i agree, however if you can get yourself to somewhere like Ambleside or Keswick then you will find it in quite a few shops especially the smaller shops, not Gaynors etc.

Stewart Cunningham in Ambleside stock Paramo, as does the smaller of the two Rathbone shops in Keswick.

look on the paramo website, they have a store finder for stores stocking paramo and another finder for stores that have been trained to give advice as well as sell the stuff.

Neil, i'm looking for something at the cooler end of the spectrum anyway so apex sounds gd.

I think it comes down to Haglofs LIM (paclite) or Rab Corrie (eVENT)

any suggestions/preferences?

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    I'd check the pockets - I don't think the Corrie has hand pockets, which put off. Nor does the Latok Alpine. I went for the standard Latok since it has all the features I was looking for.