Thread: Moving to derbyshire

Widdler

Hi, I currently live in Adelaide south australia. Been here since 2007. Hasn't turned out to be the best move we made so are moving back to the uk. We are from Brum, but are not intending to go back there. We like the look of Derbyshire, but always looks better on the Internet. Where is the best place to go for semi rural living, good schools, good shops and nice places to walk dogs. We have been looking at Ashbourne or Matlock, or Duffield. We move back in November so need help from people who live there. Thanks. Donna

My neighbours moved there too from East Grinstead. He had not told her at home at time of moving that he wished to be a bush pilot in the top end of Australia! Wonder how that went for him! Lol

Donna, hi!
    Welcome to the forum! Derbyshire Is indeed most lovely, got close friends up there and too spent a lot of childhood days looking around up there outdoors for fossils!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Initiate

I haven't lived there since 1998, but lived there for about 18 years. There are lots of places that fit your criteria. I lived in Tideswell for some years. Small village with a number of shops and friendly locals. Before that I lived in Calver, which is nearer to Sheffield, but has no local shops.

It sounds like you want a small town. Although there is nothing wrong with Matlock and Ashbourne, I wouldn't call them semi rural. At one time I would have recommended Bakewell, but all the old local shops have now been taken over by outdoor outlet like Cotswold and Rohan.

Widdler

I lived in Glossop for about 6 years. It maybe worth giving that a look. The great thing about the area is you have easy access to Manchester and Sheffield(normally, sometimes the pass gets closed). The Charlesworth area in particular is (or was when I lived there) considered good for primary schools. Some of the outskirts are particularly picturesque and not really seen when motoring through on the A57. "Old Glossop" in particular is quite nice IMO.

We would move back there other stuff allowing at some point.

‹bermensch

Ashbourne is the best choice IM. .Has everything local transport.Good schools leisure centre swimming pools. A good country market. Plus much more. Cheers.

Widdler

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear what other people have to say when you can only see them on the Internet.