Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Planning to MTB wild camp on Dartmoor

‹bermensch

Velz - agree with Toot,well done! Sounds like you had a rewarding trip - and in what a place! I'm intrigued with your reference to disabled people - but accept you may not wish to expand on that?

I hope you found the place as spiritually uplifting as I and many others do. Have you investigated the area's archaeology and history? It brings it to life for me, understanding what has made it as it is, and the people who lived here, perhaps thousands of years ago.

Re learning to navigate, my own skills are self-taught. I am sure you could do the same, just take it steady. Read up on compass use etc, then put it into practice.

Widdler

Thank you all for the encouragment and advice you have given over the past two months, it hasnt gone unnoticed and is highly appreciated and without which I'm sure things would have been more difficult than they were.

Well Rob, I have a disibilitaing bowel condition as a result of failed surgery in 2006 which led to 3 more major surgerys 2 of which very nearly claimed my life, the last in 2013 to rectify problems, which also failed resulting in restricted movement, nerve damage and daily chronic pain in my abdomen, back and right leg. Only the last year have I been back on my feet and able to try such tasks as walking on dartmoor. Each week is differnt as there are days when im immobile but am trying to make the most of the good days when I can trying to challenge the restrictions where possible. Not mentioned this before as I dont expect to be treated any differntly than anyone else wanting to explore the moors.

There is definately something magical about the moors, that myself and the gf agree on which will keep us coming back for the foreseeable future. Much to learn and so much to explore.

Can anyone tell me what the transparent jellyfish without tentical things are on the hills nw of plym ford about 300 yards from the tin workings?

Velz - good on you. Being out in a wild space is good for mind and spirit.

Do you think it might have been Star Jelly? I saw some just the other day on the common near here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/outdoors/articles/jelly/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_jelly

http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/star_jelly.htm

Widdler

Hi Mole. I think it could have been star jelly as it resembled the clear looking substance in the centre of the two white crystal forms in the picture youve posted above. Strange stuff, never seen it before.

Initiate

Velz, brief reply now as I'm off to look at trees and lichens. But thankyou for that - even more impressed with what you achieved!

Re navigation stuff, I might PM you, as I may be able to help a bit? Remind me if I don't! When are you next down?

Widdler

Thanks Rob, very kind of you. Have a great day with the trees..

Widdler

Planning on being back on the moors somewhere between mid jan, early feb.

Initiate

Thaks Velz. I'm probably in N Wales last weekend of Jan, then Scotland for 2 weekends in Feb (and the week between them!). Will try to PM soon, out this eve (on the moor).

‹bermensch

Velz, PM sent.

Rob

Widdler

Hi Rob. Recieved and replied. Many thanks

Widdler
    Hello to Toot, Rob Dixon 2, TheAdrian, Fox160 and everyone else.

Firstly ide like to thank all of you guys for all of your help, advice, links an kind words back in September 2015 which helped me with the start of my adventures on Dartmoor.
    Now nearly two years on thanks to the help from you all l have made over 20 trips driving from London to Dartmoor and back, I have so far amassed over 60 days and nights spent on the moors honing my skills, learning my way around, discovering new and wonderful things and loving every moment spent on Dartmoor.

Thank you all