Thread: Trail Mag's Mountain Photo Comp

Mini Goon

Just found out that two of my photos have been shortlisted for the Trail Magazine's UK Mountain Photo of The Year 2014. The first was taken from the summit of Sgurr na Stri after spending 4 days in the bothy at Camasunary. Each day I'd got up early enough to be on the summit by dawn and this involved fording the river and climbing the rocky slopes in the dark. So a lot of effort but certainly worth it as far as I'm concerned. The second was taken at the end of a two day traverse of the Cuillin Ridge and hopefully portrays some of beauty of a late evening high in the mountains combined with the pressure of finding a level place to sleep as night rapidly approaches. If you are interested in the competition see the link below; http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/La...se-the-winner/ Seems like there are some great entries

Not at all convinced myself about the apparent creeping in of the style of prominent people from climbing photos. Rather prefer landscape ones without

(So you can guess which of yours I prefer!).

Not sure if the linked images from that website can be doing all those photos full justice. Maybe processed down somehow.

On a vaguely similar topic, the weekly top 10 photos on UKclimbing/Hillwalking are consistently gently amazing.

Mini Goon

Coincidentally I've just uploaded the two photos to UKClimbing but not sure if they are showing up yet. I agree about the quality of photos on ,UKC the standard is often very high.

Ooooh! I hope you win there Adrian! I was hoping you might be tempted to enter the photo comp I posted here too, before!

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/s...hol/69129.html

Go on, have a go! I want you to win that one as well my friend!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Mini Goon

Thanks Trevor. Will check out the linked competition.

Mini Goon

Bit late now (been on holiday) but one of the photos was voted UK Hillwalking Photo of the week last week.

Mini Goon

Only a few days left to vote so go to this link if you want to see all the entries

www.lfto.com/photocomp

Initiate

Your not the only one that has a photo short listed on Trail

Mini Goon
    I realise that because there are 20 other pictures in the finals. Which one is yours?

Initiate

Sorry, what I meant to say, was not the only one of this forum. Mine is the one of Castell y Gwynt in winter. I was very surprised when I opened last months issue to see mine had been shortlisted. Didn't think I would have a chance, so very pleased with that.

Mini Goon

Congratulations, Darra and good luck since it is an excellent photo. I was surprised that finalists weren't contacted sooner since I only received an email last Wednesday. Fortunately I had already bought the magazine so knew already.

When did you take yours Darra? Only we were up on the Glyders on a day with an absolutely cracking inversion (probably the best I've seen in nearly 40 years) and snow on the ground back in February, possibly 10th iirc. Just wondering if it was the same day?

Initiate

Just looked at the date on it, and it was on the 7th Feb. I've never seen one before, and a guy I was talking to said it was the best one he had seen too. It's things like that that make days in the mountains extra special.

Ah, we were up Cadair that day and there was some inversion around but it looked better further north. We went up the Glyders the following Tuesday and it was absolutely stunning. We stayed up there for sunset and came back down in the dark.

Hey there OM photog fans! Last days of a great kit photo comp here ok! You know you can win it!!

http://www.outdoorconservation.eu/competitions.cfm

Trevor DC Gamble

I love your photos

I've quite recently transferred the two photographs to UKClimbing yet not certain on the off chance that they are showing up yet. I concur about the nature of photographs on ,UK the standard is frequently high.