Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3-day solo wild camp in Dartmoor - routes?

Rob and me - both getting distracted

Widdler

Mole, that's great information, thanks. I'll add in some "optional" extensions to each day, to be attempted if my physical state allows!

If the weather is Good and you feel fit, , I'd seriously consider not going Kitty/West Okement at all that first day, but going down the Rattlebrook, skirt the range poles to the Amicombe/Tavy, cross, then head to Fur Tor, and either camp there, or push on to East Dart (range poles again) and camp there. Even then it's only 9 miles day one.

Then Day 2, down the East dart through Sandy Hole pass to the waterfall, contour along the old leat to drop to Grey Wethers Stone Circles, then cross the Teign by Teignhead Farm, up over Manga Hill to Watern Tor, then head to either Steeperton/Wild/Cosdon areas to camp and get great sunset views. (8-10miles)

Day 3 could go back via Cullever Steps, Row, West Mill, Yes, High willhays, drop to Lints then come back down the West Okement to cross below Black aTor Copse, (suggest weir bridge)above Vellake Corner if water high) then over to Sourton. (11.5miles max - less if avoid Lints and go straight to Black tor Copse) )

All those days can be modified to be shorter if necessary.

Widdler

Now that's a route. Sounds perfect! Are there straightforward paths on the way, or is that involving some cross-country stuff as well?

A fair amount of cross country day one. There are paths map denoted and some not, especially near the rivers - but even marked paths on the moor can be bog hopping and intermittent and easily missed unless on the ball. Much of the range poles have well trodden 'paths' between them nowadays.

a compass is always advised though.

Widdler

Yep, compass and map already sorted - up to date OS and a rather nice old induction damped Silva with an aluminium bezel. Should see me right.

Many thanks for all your help - looking forward to this even more now!

Widdler

Took a trip to GoOutdoors today and bought the last few bits of gear I need - including the rucksack, I'm looking at a pack weight of roughly 11.5kg not including water (or walking poles/worn clothing). Not too bad I reckon. Just about fits in a 65+10L pack, but that's primarily down to the size of the bloody sleeping bag. I can probably scrunch things down a bit further though.

I still want to take my SLR, but at 1.2kg including the lens, it's a bit on the heavy side. Decision will be made on the day I expect...

Widdler

Well I made it to Dartmoor - but due to illness, my trip had to be cut short to two days with one overnight camp. A bit of a shame, but I still managed 16 miles or so. Pictures and a report to follow