Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are water filters good enough in the UK?

Initiate
    err...no, the poinst I am trying to make is that to say "I never drink untreated water" is ill founded (if you drink any water in some (not all) establishments in the Lake District and many other areas of deep rural countryside. You may not be aware of it, but you have.

And, Its equally ill founded to say drinking untreated water will make you ill in all circumstances

And, in much the same way as saying drinking treated water will stop you being ill,in all circumstances is a fallacy.

So - to those who have stated categorically they never drink untreated water..you probably have, to those who state drinking untreated water will make you ill, not so and those who say drinking treated water will stop you being ill, equally not so.

Why can I say that - because it depends on the contamination involved (bacterial, oocyte, viral or chemical to name four ), the treatment system used and the persons own immune system at the time.

Yep! Because what makes you ill if you do fall ill may not have anything to do with the water supply at all in the first place perhaps. You might just think of attributing it to that factor first off, amongst other variable possibles!

But I think where possible I would go for the safety of treating the water anywhere if I have the kit to do it with me. I know for many folks that would be a spoiler to actually enjoying fully being out there in the wilds though, and not experiencing sampling pure clean natural water outdoors. So as someone else says too, each to their own.
    Trevor DC Gamble

http://www.backpackgeartest.org//rev...r%20Treatment/

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...Filter-Reviews

Good general knowledge information here. American oriented outdoors websites though ok!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Initiate

In the UK waterborne viruses are rare and normally from sewage.

There will be plenty of bacteria in the water, as there is in all water we get from the taps etc. People adapt and gain immunity from symptoms over time but if you are not used to them you can get symptoms. It's a similar story for parasitic organisms.

So if you've been drinking dirty water for 30 years you probably have a decent immunity to that water, probably a regional immunity so you'd be fine in the UK or anywhere else with nasties of the same type and concentration.

Me? I'll treat my water as I don't care to build up an immunity or get upset tummies while that happens.

Of course there's plenty of sources with low enough concentrations of nasties anyone healthy can deal with them...

In short, boil or filter would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by GoF View Post
    err...no, the poinst I am trying to make is that to say "I never drink untreated water" is ill founded (if you drink any water in some (not all) establishments in the Lake District and many other areas of deep rural countryside. You may not be aware of it, but you have.

And, Its equally ill founded to say drinking untreated water will make you ill in all circumstances

And, in much the same way as saying drinking treated water will stop you being ill,in all circumstances is a fallacy.

So - to those who have stated categorically they never drink untreated water..you probably have, to those who state drinking untreated water will make you ill, not so and those who say drinking treated water will stop you being ill, equally not so.

Why can I say that - because it depends on the contamination involved (bacterial, oocyte, viral or chemical to name four ), the treatment system used and the persons own immune system at the time.
    Interesting.

So do all hotels outside of towns in the Lake district take water straight from rivers or tarns?
    Is it tested?
    Do any of these hotels treat it?
    Are none outside of large villages on the water grid?

As for the rest of your post, it's pretty pointless, literally.

Drinking un-treated water might make you ill

You still might get ill from drinking treated water, you mean treating water isn't a cure for flu

You sure you feel comfortable standing right out there on such strong opinions

If we're going down the "state the obvious" route.......

IF you filter/treat contaminated water you stand a MUCH better chance of not getting ill than drinking it un-treated.

Can you tell by visually inspecting the water with your naked eye if it's safe to drink? = Nope, clear oxygenated water is just as if not more likely to have nasties in it.

You can get ill at home by not washing your hands properly after taking a poop, you can get ill eating badly prepared food, i think there is not a adult in the country that doesn't know that, unfortunately telling that to your stomach while it tries to evacuate itself every 30mins will not help you.

End of the day it's a gamble.

If you filter or treat your water you swing to odds greatly in your favour

If you take water from areas that are high and not surrounded by high populations of people or animals, you swing the odds a little in your favour

My water filter cost me about 20 quid

It takes no more than 45 seconds to filter 1 litre of water

IF i drink contaminated water there is a good chance i will be very ill, the point of having to take time off work when i return home.

The symptoms of Giardiasis and Cryptosporidiosis can often take days if not weeks before they present themselves, even worse the symptoms although not life threatening to most of us can be painful and debilitating for weeks if not months.

The link i added says there are over 3500 cases of Giardiasis each year, about 1/4 are from people that got the illness abroad but didn't feel the effects till they returned home, more importantly though it's thought more cases are out there but they're not diagnosed.

The Giardia cysts that affect humans are 12 - 15 microns by 6 - 8 microns (a human hair is around 45 microns thick

The Giardia cysts that affect humans are 12 - 15 microns by 6 - 8 microns (a human hair is around 45 microns thick as a comparison.) , swallowing as few as 10 cysts can get you ill.

The link to the page on Cryptosporidiosis says there are over 3000 cases each year, 2 to 10 oocysts can initiate an infection, each oocysts is5 to 6 micron.

So as i say detection by simply looking at the water is impossible, for us hikers the biggest culprits for kindly sharing the infection are sheep, rodents and other hikers.

Initiate
    Hi Gix,

actually I think we are on the same side but coming from different directions - your stance seems to be you filter or treat as you would rather not take the chance and my stance is the chance (in the UK...which is where the OP started from) is so low as to make filtering etc unnecessary in most cases. Neither of us are saying you will get ill if you dont filter or you wont get ill if you you do filter.

At least, thats what I think we are both saying.

You'd be surprised just how many farmhouse BandBs, rural pubs and the like who use their own water supply, but if you think about it, it makes sense. Many of these habitations way precede water mains and were sited where clean water was available. There was/is no economic reason to connect to the mains for water or sewage.

Private water supplies are sampled anywhere between once a year and once every 5 years - and there are at least 1800 private water supplies in South Lakes alone...according to this.

http://www.southlakeland.gov.uk/envi...ater-supplies/

Interesting link, thanks for that, i'll take a gander later

"End of the day it's a gamble"

You name-dropper you, gix! lol
    Trevor DC Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post

I seem I be in a minority here as I purify as a matter of course. Everything is alright until it isn't.
    Agree. I was pretty reliable at purifying, in the UK and abroad.

The medics have not much idea of what is laying me low for the last couple of years, despite some very invasive procedures. Treating it as giardia perks me up for a month or two. Otherwise, I spend the time feeling varying degrees of shite (pretty well at the moment). My gastroenterologist said that neither filters nor purification tablets will fully protect against the nasties that are out there. The may claim that they do, as it's impossible to nail them for a failure, but there are nasties too small for filters and too 'hardy' for tablets. He said the most reliable method is to boil water for 5 mins. This may not seem too practical, but having lost so much outdoor time/life in general for something which is likely to be water-borne (though not necessarily in the UK), I'd be more inclined to spend the time, with the benefit of 20:20 hindsight.

The point made about untreated water in hotels etc menas nothing. It is tested. It must be passed fit for consumption.

not so with "wild" sources.

pays yer money, or not, and take yer chances.

nothing to discuss really.

Ummm! Didn't Bear Grylls famously go wildcamping in a five-star hotel?
    Trevor DC Gamble

Initiate
    saw this and thought of this thread...

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/drinking-w...unty-1-7396881

just goes to show you just never know...I suppose

Good on you there GoF!!! I wanted to post on that too, but where I have been out walking each day there are few WiFi areas lol! I see Southern trains will get WiFi fairly soonish though which is great news. I have been busy outdoors and walked loads of miles of footpaths in Kent this week. Feel very tired and ache all over, but feel good to have done it all as well!!
    Trevor DC Gamble

‹bermensch

Lovely unfiltered Cheviot water. I'll use a filter for lowland areas (must get one) but not up high. I understand the arguments of the pro-lobby but I can't explain my mindset re this except to say if I felt the need to filter upland water I'd feel less inclined to go.

‹bermensch
    Travel Tap and Sawyer are fine...use them all the time, as many dead sheep/deer, lie in the watercourses that you don't always notice.
    I'm still alive.

Are blue green algae delicious?

‹bermensch
    Yummy

Widdler
    I've just bought a filter. For many years I've drunk water direct from streams, even puddles occasionally. But times are changing; far more people out on the hills, some (many?) with poor toilet skills. Proverbial dead-sheep aside, one is far more lieky to catch something from a human-derived bug than one from a creature further away on the tree of life. What used to be unpolluted water may not be any more. Also, having a filter may increases the choice of water sources to include the less immediately palatable ones.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I thought of this thread when I saw a Procter & Gamble advert promoting their clean water sachet campaign. It's obviously a flocculent, as they say it's used with a clean cloth to clear cloudy water. I wonder if it has a biocide in it as well...

[googles: yes, it seems it doeshttps://www.csdw.org/csdw/pur-packet-technology.shtml]