Thread: Help Weekend in Dartmoor map ol28

Goon

Hi Guys

Just had delivered OS Map OL 28 and now need to work out where is best

to do my first wild camp on the Moors, I am driving to Dartmoor so

also where best to leave me van too. Looking to doing this from end of July

Also maybe a figure of Eight with a good Cafe for breakfast or stock

up on food be nice

Trust me every bit of help will be good help.

Thank you

‹bermensch

How many nights? Have you searched the forums on here? Lots of similar questions. It's a great place! I'm just back from a 30 km walk and bivi, 2 swims, stacks of archaeology from many eras. I was on the south moor.

‹bermensch

Fox

Rob and others know the moor very well indeed.
    You might consider starting in Princetown. The Fox Torr Cafe has very good reviews though shops are now very limited. There are a number of side roads that you could park in too,

Goon

Sorry guys been off Radar,

Chewie gutted I had missed your trip, but glad to hear there looks like a part 2 trip on the Horizon from that one.

OK can you tell me if this trip is feasible.

Day 1, From Princetown onto Whiteworks have a coffee and move onto Avon dam Resiyvoir. Wild Camp.

Day 2, Travel to and cross River Yealm then onto Lee Moor and investigate Then travel to Sheepstor and Wild camp then the following morning travel back to Princetown.

PS There appears to be Two Lakes between BlackLane Brook and River Avon so may stay there if the walk is to far to the Avon Dam Reservoir.

Sunday 30th Aug - 2nd Sep

‹bermensch

Hi Fox. Yes, but I don't know your level of fitness! Or indeed your aspirations? I imagine you'd end up on the Abbots Way on the first day. Bear in mind it's route is not correct on the map - between Plym Ford and Broad Rock for instance, it's 100 - 150 m to the east, running above the cist, for instance, not below it. Good places to camp near Huntingdon Cross but I'd avoid camping near the reservoir, a popular place.

Another way of getting to the AD Reservoir is to pick up the Sandy Way east of Nuns Cross, cut over the top of Aune Headthen head south over Ryders to Pupers etc. Then if you want a route west, use the AW. Otherwise, you have some rough country to cross, if you don't know the area.

Enjoy!

Goon

Hi Rob

Yep pretty strong walker, but this is my first foot on Dartmoor so happy to shorten/cut off parts to enjoy and return another time. I will look at your suggestions and look over the map and google Earth. But google Earth doesn't seem to list al the places.

Thank you for your help.

As Rob says, there are several Dartmoor route suggestions and other useful tips on this website. Do take the time to read them as gaining such knowledge with minimal effort beforehand can bring a great advantage on the moor.

Your fitness, speed and other capabilities are things you should know best. Plan accordingly. Accept that weather and ground conditions can affect anyone's travels. I note it's your first.Dartmoor trip so navigation skills may play a part on travels, especially over more barren land. Several major "tracks" on the moor have been developed over hundreds of years and avoid some of the more unpleasant conditions or take in the best, so they are useful as Rob suggests. The Abbots Way is rather nice with much of interest nearby. All you have to do to make use of such features is find where they're supposed to be.

Dartmoor forecast for the next few days is wet, so prepare for that in kit and underfoot and be aware of the effect rain can have upon land and rivers for example, for experienced or for first-time solo crossers. Depending on your route from Avon to Lee Moor you may cross the Erme as well as Yealm and whilst a river is generally narrower and easier to cross upstream, some begin in land depressions that hold a lot of water and have clues to that by names such as "marsh" or "mire". There may be easier places to travel, not far away.

Your first trip will do much to encourage or discourage. Some people like to cover miles whereas others like to explore some feature in detail. Dartmoor caters for both. I hope you know your own preferences and make a plan likely to satisfy rather than deny them, and so gain an experience and interest to enjoy for years to come. Do post how things turn out.

I've said this before, but these two websites can provide much inspiration for the potential Dartmoor traveller. I have no connection with either site other than as an admiring user

http://wreckstorm.com/richkni/dartmoor/websites.htm

http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/

Study of either with a map to hand is beneficial. The detail in "Crossing's Guide to Dartmoor" (book) may also prove of interest.

Goon

So this is the plan so far, but using Bridal paths due to Dartmoor having a lot of rain. And to make sure i don't get lost i'l be taking my Quad Copter with virtual cam.

Park at Prince town and use the Bridal path to Whiteworks and if OK then to visit the Childs Tomb then onto Bridal path and turn left onto Buckland Ford then turn right straight to Eastern White Barrow or go via the old Tram Line. Camp the night.

Then onto Erme Plains past Stingers Hill then proceed to Abbot's Way. Have Lunch at Higher Harton Tor. Then onto Sheeps Tor for Dinner and Wild Camp.
    Then through base of Forest and onto Crazy Well Pool and up and over Cramber Tor and then back to Prince town.

Thanks Guys

Initiate

Last year I walked the area of abbots way and those mires, it was horrid. Very wet and well mire ish.

I couldn't see the path so it was problematic.

Yep Abbots Way can be a bit confusing at times and not always follow the map, as Rob very helpfully says. Good nav important esp when the fog comes down (not that it ever does, cough cough!!) I remember helping on a '7 tors' type walk as a steward and searching for a tor, which was about 4-5 metres in front of me without me seeing it. Someone suddenly appeared from the mist which was partly helpful and partly shocking simultaneously!

Fox. Bear in mind that a green dashed line (bridleway) marked on a map need not mean that any visible path exists, just that it is a right of way. Unless the map also shows black lines for a path or track, there may or may not be be anything on the ground - it's quite common on open ground like Dartmoor for the path most used, to be somewhat different to the mapped rights of way, as Robs example above shows, often 100s of metres out. Google earth or even better 'wheresthepath' will help give a clearer picture.

Initiate

Absolutely agree with Mole here - if the green ROW does not have a dashedblack line as well, it's about a 95% cerainty there's no path on te ground. Similarly, many 'motorway' paths seen o the ground are not marked on the map, so don't assume the lovely path you've just found is the one on the map... A ruler-straight green dashed line should be viewed with dollops of caution. But there may be other actual paths in the general area.

Re Abbots Way, I'm in touch with the OS on this and hopefully it'll get corrected soon. They have listened and actedon a fewother issues too.

Fox - I'm intrigued to know how the quad copter will help?

Initiate

Hi rob,

A video feed from above might be helpful in spotting the paths that seem invisible on the ground. I'm only guessing he has the video feed.

Good to meet you and toot, you slipped away unexpectedly.

‹bermensch

Hi Andy, good to meet you too. Sorry, thought all knew, I had my mother's birthday bash to go to. Next time!

Yes, I did wonder re copter - but if it's clear enough to use that, it may not be so necessary. An infra red / x-ray device to peer thru the fog - now that would be useful!

Hope you enjoyed the walk, anyway.

Rob

Goon

With the foul weather confirmed for the whole of the Bank Holiday weekend, I am going to put this on hold until it improves.
    Thank You all for your input.

Goon

Thank you Andy - Mole - Rob and Zero for that sound advice and is there any let off with the Weather at Dartmoor?

Initiate

Pretty horrible in Exeter right now...

Just lifting a little now, but heavy rain forecast again overnight, weekend forecast not looking as bad as recently - grey or showers....

Fox, I'm not clear on your route , but IMO the Yealm is not worth bothering with unless have you a particular reason. It's a slog over bare hills and there are more interesting things to do with limited time!

From Childes tombe, I'd consider ignoring the bridle way on the map - as Andy says, it's not really there. So, I'd go, Fox Tor, Black Lane - posts, maybe nip to Ducks Pool, then down Blacklane Brook for some time, then off East to Red Lake Tip and Broad falls, down the Avon, then choose a route to Eastern Whittaburrow . Then Back over west to Erme Pound, back up the River Erme to Erme pits, then over to the Plym somehow.(calveslake or Plym Ford) It's really well worth going the path from Higher Hartor Tors through the Drizzlecombe stone rows and past Giants basin before heading to Sheepstor. As well as the latter, I'd also consider Combeshead or Down Tors for camping too. Then Crazywell pool, and, as personally I don't rate Cramber Tor much- so for more interest and beauty, I'd then follow the leat down to the Meavy Aqueduct and up to Black Tor . From there cross the road and join the old railway line back into Princetown.

Goon

Hi Mole Thanks for the weather update and to be honest I can't see myself out there in such fowl weather and certainly put it on hold for a few weekends for it to dry out. Also travelling from London so fair way to go to be constantly in the wet.

Regarding the route, basically random I've never walked Dartmoor but have biked it around East Dart over to an old Air crash site and back to East Dart. And was to do a once over before taking the Mrs and do a few weekends.

I am more attracted to Landscape - Tors - Rock formations and History, I will look at your ideas on the map, but I was advised to stay away from Fox Tor being to boggy and dangerous underfoot.

Thank you for your advice

That would be Foxtor Mires they meant not Foxtor itself. As it stands, Your route from Whiteworks to Childes tomb goes right through the Mires anyway ?! I wouldn't advise that. Go via Nuns Cross and skirt the Mires.

You are going to have plenty of wetness underfoot on the moors nowadays.