Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: Ten Of The Best UK Campsites

Goon
    Definitely should include Rydal Hall, has the best shower block I've come across by far and is right at the foot of the Fairfield Horseshoe.

Also, would recommend Upper Booth in Edale.

Mini Goon

Where in the Cairngorms is Glen Nevis campsite?When I stayed there it was the other side of the country.Really, we should expect better from outdoorsmagic.

‹bermensch

Luckily none of my favourites have been listed

Widdler

The pic for Hillend, number 6 or 7 isn't even Hillend. Hillend is a tents, surfers and campervans place, lots of campervans, no statics.

None of these reviews mention the most important criteria, are we allowed a fire?

Widdler
    Loch Ness Shores is stunning undiscovered secret. Been open less than two year but great reviews - 5*, Green tourism gold award and both eco and holiday park loo of the year awards. Sharing this with mixed feelings - love this quiet, peaceful site, with kayak hire, electric bikes and on the South Loch Ness and Great Glen Canoe trails.

Widdler

PS Fires allowed at Loch Ness Shores on shore and in fire pits.

http://www.marthrownofmabie.com/folder-1-home-page

- as near to wild camping on a site as I've come across. Good for mountain bikes and nearby Criffel may not be a big hill but has a huge pamorama from the top.

Widdler
    I'm afraid Hardraw force is in Wensleydale. Quite a way from Burnsall!

Widdler
    Burnsall (Wharfedale) is actually quite a long way from Wensleydale, where Hardraw force is -and presumably Robin Hood as well.

Widdler
    I'm afraid hardraw isn't at Burnsall!!! It's near Hawes, Wensleydale, miles away! Get your facts right!

I wouldn't go on any of the above sites. I just don't like sites where vehicles can drive around among the tents. My tent is small and green... virtually invisible at night... and if I pitched it between two big family tents, I'd probably wake up dead with a car parked on top of me!

‹bermensch

Spot on there Paddy - although the main reason I don't like them is because people use their vehicles as store-rooms. I like to get a very early start, which is painful after being kept awake half the night before, with people slamming doors for hours.

What the last two said. The free site at Torridon used to be great until they let cars on it after building the firefighting depot - now it's just a field of ruts due to people's odd compulsion to park right next to their tent.

Widdler

The site at Glen Nevis permits vehicles but they are not allowed to park between tents (designated parking bays), in theory one should not get pancaked .

The site I linked to above - when I visited a few years ago you couldn't get cars anywhere near the camping area, but they did provide wheelbarrows for those with 'big gear'

Quote Originally Posted by cathyjc View Post

The site I linked to above - when I visited a few years ago you couldn't get cars anywhere near the camping area, but they did provide wheelbarrows for those with 'big gear'

Fnrrrr fnrrrr

Widdler

I don't like sites. Full stop. And surely I can't be the only one...?

In the hills, if I can see a light from my resting place I feel "crowded". That said, I have met some nice people that way - contact seems OK as long as there are only one or two. Solo backpackers share the same mindset I suppose, pairs are hardly a crowd and tend to share similar ways too, so that's no conflict either. That word "conflict" could be the key, and the stress it would imply. I don't take to the hills to find stress!

On sites, pitches are inevitably close even on the most spacious, so the car door routine, radio's, sing-songs (even the good ones), voices next door, returns from the camp bar, clanking pots, whining kids (or adults!), passing piss-heads, guy-line trippers, TV's for Christ's sake, amorous couples and pretty much any other single human intrusion is enough to have me saying "never again" to public camp-site stays. It was several years ago I last tented amongst the masses, and at that time my daughter (aged 7 I think) demonstrated a similar outlook by shouting "Stop snoring!" to a neighbour at 1AM. The chap woke up and he and his wife then made more noise arguing about if he snored or not, than he did snoring! Bloody awful. I wonder how many of the Top Ten sites would suit me?

Remember the days when the jolly farmer would let any stranger with a backpack park on his land for a day or two, and have a jolly red-faced wife who provided a cooked breakfast and lashings of ginger-beer for the day ahead for fourpence a head, if not gratis? No, nor do I. Mind you, with relatives having plenty of land attractive for a passing backpacker, I have often wondered why there isn't a website that could put the two together for the cost of a few turnips... Diversity is an often-heard word in farming these days. And they have all that ginger-beer left over from the old days to get rid of...

Incidentally, such a system exists in NZ, and works well. Different outlook from the campers by and large, I suspect. It's so good in results that my parents (both well into their 70's) have recently been wandering about there as they pleased for eight glorious weeks, and not a moan to be heard from them about the experience.

Widdler

get your slf to the caingorms spoilt for choice wild camping

the best tim to go march april oct nov

‹bermensch

No mention of Scourie campsite.

I believe it was once voted the best campsite in (Britain ? ).

‹bermensch

Toots - there are some fairly well-known "jolly farmer" sites left, even in places like the Lakes.

Generally, the fewer the "facilities" and the more inconvenience in transferring your inflatable Jacuzzi / cocktail cabinet / flat screen TV to your enormous tent, the quieter things seem to be.

I like to use a mix of small campsites and rough camping on longer journeys: sometimes the option of some warm (ish) water and a pint or three is nice to have!