Thread: Peak District

Widdler

G'day,

I'm going to chip off on Friday with the dog for the weekend, I'm looking at the peak district as its furthest north I can get in a sensible time after leaving work and coming up from Reading. (fancy something different to Wales)

I haven't got a clue about peak district at all so after a bit of advice where to head. a colleague mentioned there's some decent walking to be had by Kinder Scout with some scrambles by the Kinder Downfall.

So the question - Anyone know of any good starting points to get me out? Looking for challenging hikes potentially some low/mid level scrambling (no rope) - don't need blow by blow route as I'll knock that up, just need an idea of where to start!

Also if anyone knows any decent campsites, would be appreciated - looking at a site rather than wild as want to leave tent down and just go with a day pack

Thanks in advance

J

There's a lot of the peak district Round the Kinder plateau is definitely a nice walk but lots of options. The southern white peak has several really quite dramatic limestone valleys in it.

Scrambles do I believe exist in a few places but not really like the ones in Snowdonia (or Lakes) as the hills are rather different. Flat, wild peat bogs with glaciated edges. Really its more made for long leg stretches.

(Or climbing on Stanage etc of course!).

Widdler

Haha there really is a lot of the peak district, I'd normally spend a bit of time and sort it myself but between being 'sans' map and the fact time is running out to sort a campsite needs sorting asap

I was looking at Edale but every site I called is fully booked, may try Buxton next

..as a side note and hijacking my own topic..when the *insert expeltive* hell did Campsites get so pricey?? (some places wanted 40 quid for two nights and then wanted me to pay for car as well! Last time I used one was in Snowdonia and was 10 quid for two nights...anyway rant over.

Any ideas of a starting town appreciated y'all

Banned

The best scramble onto Kinder plateau is the Blackden brook route. It's a stream scramble and is as hard as you want to make it. Just don't expect anything like Wales.

SK130895 on the A57 is the starting point.

As far as camping, why not wildcamp? There's some great hidey spots on the other side of the road to Blackden brook going north up Alport dale. Sure the amenities are not there but you get the place to yourself.

There are also some good hikes up Derwent edge up from Ladybower onto Bleaklow moors. A bothy at Oyster clough can be used overnight further up the A57 look here

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/s...s/25501-2.html

Lawl, some on here will hate on me for giving away the goodies.

From limited kmowledge, the northern half of the PD is probably your best bet for some moderate scrambles; you have Kinder for a start (with all the cloughs coming and going)but also the Edges - Stanage, Curbar, Frogatt etc. I'm sure there's some scrambling in there somewhere.

If Edale is full then the villages along the Hope Valley are almost as close - Hope, Castleton & Hathersage.

If you can be arsed, there are some photos from a number of PD walks on my blog (shamless plug). Might help focus your attention a bit.

The best scramble onto Kinder plateau is the Blackden brook route. [/QUOTE]

Having come down this way - I'd agree

If he gets somewhere in/near Buxton then Chrome/Parkhouse (hills just to the south) aren't really 'proper' scrambles but they're definitely vaguely lively.

The 'proper' dark peak experience of a massive, empty moor is probably worth sampling mind

Widdler

Both, thanks for the advice. I'll give Hope valley a bash today...wish me luck

J

Widdler

"If you can be arsed, there are some photos from a number of PD walks on my blog (shamless plug). Might help focus your attention a bit."

...Was your blog that got me thinking about PD, really great site by the way! Its my go to website for a long read when bored behind my desk! Keep it up

Mini Goon

Joe

Have you tried Coopers campsite in Edale? I feel sure they could squeeze you in

Nether Booth on the outskirts of Edaleis rural but may fit you in

I suppose you have tried Fieldhead

If you move down the Hope valley

You have Hardhurst Farm in Hope OK but take your earplugs for the trains

Laneside Hope will sometimes fit you in

Swallowholme in Bamford gets decent reports

The trouble with Hope & Bamford is that you have to walk or ride in to Kinder

Let's know how you get on

PS if you fancy Stanage (climbing, scrambling & walking) North Lees might fit you in (sloping)

Widdler

Coopers it is, they've got space...the woman I spoke to wasn't impressed that I was turning up quite so late, but as long as I get in before 11 apparently I'm Ok.

Thanks for the advice all, hopefully the weather holds out and I can get some updates up on the trips section

J

Mini Goon

You have 2 pubs in Edale to go at. I like the Ramblers but the Nags Head (start of the Pennine Way) is fine and almost next to Coopers. There is also a good café next to the campsite.Have a good trip.

Widdler

I'll chuck various photos up next week with some commentary in the routes area, but just a quick thank you to all the above for the advice.

I usually like to do a bit of prep before my trips, but with the above advice it turned into a really great random weekend.

Nags head is very much advised, good few ales to settle down with after a day out