Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Meths for my Starlyte Stove

Goon

Just received me Zephs Starlyte stove 2.4g under advertised weight plus the pan support is 24mm high for the flame sweet spot. What type of fuel and where to get the fuel from. I did read some fuels can burn less heat than others ?

Dont worry. Any meths is fine.
    What else is there over the counter in the UK?

Methanol is toxic and has less btu density
    Pure industrial alcohol is hard to get and only marginally (unnoticeably?) better.

Goon

So Methylated spirits be fine ?

Oh meant to say the pot stand is 25mm high from the burner

Bioethanol as sold for heaters (try ebay) is OK and smells less, so nicer to handle. Should be 95% ethanol.

Initiate

Bioethanol if you can get it. Online is good.

Much less toxic and as above doesn't stink.

There's a little more energy released but its not a lot.

Goon

Cheers guys, found it on Gooutdoorshttp://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fuel4-bi...l-p284700#tabs

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I wouldn't bother with the likes of Fuel4. Just buy bog-standard methylated spirits from any hardware shop. I usually get 2l bottles from Robert Dyas.

2l bottles of bio ethanol are usually available from B&Q at a decent price.

If you holiday en France alcool bruler is the same thing, you can usually get 5l for ‚?¨8

All denatured alcohol is the same across europe now by european decree

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/excise-notice-473-production-distribution-and-use-of-denatured-alcohol/excise-notice-473-production-distribution-and-use-of-denatured-alcohol

Initiate

Bioethanol is a sustainable product and carbon neutral. Other types of ethanol may be derived from petroleum processes.

I think if you want old meths with methanol it would be imported from whichever countries still use methanol in meths.

The formulations arent the same, S16 lists the different formulations, 19 including the one we use in the UK. They can be freely distributed within the EU.

mmm

sense of perspective needed by some. Just do the numbers.

you'll be ingesting far greater quantities of toxins just sitting in a car regularly

and supporting magnitudes more 'petroleum' processes in modern life.

‹bermensch

Visiting these forums I often how folk are up to the hazards & decision making faced on the hill. No signal - no phone a friend.

Initiate
    Bioethanol may be sustainable (as long as its not made from a food product...waits for ignited argument on food vs fuel to start) but it is hardly carbon neutral once embedded carbon from production and distribution is factored in.

as for toxins - good point Mole

Initiate

The choice is simple. You do something positive or you don't.

You all want to wander about outside, so why not make attempts, however small to look after it. I'm no eco freak but even I can see that a product thats carbon neutral versus one that's not is a better environmental choice. "Its not worth" it goes the cry.

Make few choices like that, maybe it will be worth it then.

Toxins, you're free to take on whatever toxins you want aren't you? I'll choose to take on less of them.

Nah. I disagree. A choice as a standalone decision is pretty meaningless. It needs context and relativity to have consequence and meaning.

Like GoF says - do you know the embedded energy/carbon for getting the bioethanol to the store compared to meths? (and what are the working conditions/pay of those who provide the sugar used?)

Of course, it's a choice one makes, and I agree with the sentiments Andy, but I believe, compared to myriad other things one could do/not do in daily life, suggesting that by using bio-ethanol instead of meths in your stove, you are doing something significantly positive and minimising intake of toxins, misrepresents reality and is innumerate and a little naive.

Sorry to sound harsh, I mean no harm to you or disagree with your choice of fuel. (I might disagree if I believed it to be less efficient than other fuels )

Everything has a cost/harm in it's production and use. Unless one knows the quantities of all properties involved, and it's relative levels of harm/good compared to other things one uses/could use, promoting a course of action to others as being ' an effectual and good thing' to do, put's one on dodgy ground IMO.

I would suggest I could likely avoid the toxins/environmental cost of a lifetimes use of meths over bioethanol just by driving more carefully next time I drive to Dartmoor.

I regularly hear folk (friends even) pronounce on things in a similar vein as if it makes their life more worthy - like those who disapprove of using plastic bags and bottles, but drive a 4wd without need/happily fly off on holiday twice a year/get a new I-phone each time it comes out. I'm no better than them in this respect, just have no illusions - our work, lifestyle and consumption is likely deemed 'greener' than many, but we are consumers and polluters like most of us in the 'developed' world.

I'm with Mole on this. Using 'bioethanol' as a camping stove fuel rather than mineral spirits is just green wash. It's a drop in the ocean compared to what you might use driving to your outdoor activity, or even getting public transport. You're kidding yourself if you think it will make a difference, whilst basking in the smug glow of 'doing your bit'. It's cynical marketing, IMHO.

Some local buses are powered by bioethanol produced from waste biomass. If I could walk to my local bus depot and buy 5l of that, I would. Assuming it was cheaper than meths...

Bioethanol is just nicer to use. I don't need any other reason .

Sorry, I won't use meths again - unless I have no choice.

‹bermensch

I'm asking this as someone who has no problem with 'meths', alcool bruler etc but has been using straight for years because it was available - isn't the bioethanol for sale denatured with something nasty to stop it being consumed? My understanding is that it is.

Not bothered either way but some of the denaturants I've seen listed may cause the more sensitive sphincters to quiver.

Bio? Ever smelt the French stuff? Smells like fermenting swamp water.

"Bioethanol is just nicer to use. I don't need any other reason "

That's a perfectly good reason, if you find it nicer. I've never been bothered by the smell of meths, but the acetone denaturant in Fuel4 makes me a bit sick...

Goon

Think i'll just use me Primus gas stove.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by HTTP ERROR 410 View Post

.... but has been using straight * for years because it was available
    *Ethanol

Good call - less difficult to overcomplicate 'less you want to look at different gas mixes.